Michelin Pro Race Tires - Clincher

Pro Race

Michelin Pro Race 3 Road Tire 700x23 Dark Grey/Blk

raymond bailey   [Oct 13, 2015]
Strength:

fast light tyre,roll great easy to get on and off

little to no puncture resistance,not fit for training or general riding due to the puncture problem, i got a puncture on my first ride a very small thorn after 20 miles

this is a race tyre only,its very fast,shame about the puncture problem,putting the gatorskins back on

keyzerjf   Road Racer [Oct 14, 2009]
Strength:

Durable, well-made, good looking, consistent handling, low rolling resistance, lightweight

a little bit expensive

Been training on these tires for the last 2000 miles with no flats at all. Road feel is nice and supple, acceleration is quick, and corners well.

Similar Products Used: vredestein fortezza, vittoria corsa evo cx
pinarello001   Recreational Rider [May 08, 2009]
Strength:

Smooth, comfortable. Nearly like a tub - but then nothing compares to a tub.

Slightly soft tyre walls. A bit susceptible to punctures at proper riding pressure. Bit stiff to put on the rim at first.

Bit tight on the rim, but once you have removed it a few times it gets a lot easier.
I used to ride Michelin High Lite Road which I never really found a replacement but they were soft and with high mileage did'nt last.
I ride the Michelin Race tyres around some very bad roads in this area. they are 23mm profile but i do not ride them with high pressure as they would be very susceptible to punctures (2 punctures in one year is not bad considering the roads and cattle grids around here). I only ride them at 75-85psi. My next tyre will be 25mm for the rear, 23mm at the front. Then I can ride them at full pressure and still get the comfort. A lot of my friends have gone down the 23F 25Rear set up.

Similar Products Used: Campag throughout and forever. ShimaNO. If you know what you are buying, Campagnolo for the long run. I had a headset for 19 years (record) and sold it on!! Still good. Ksyriums.
habh14   Recreational Rider [Apr 08, 2009]
Strength:

Weight, looks, ride quality.

Cuts very easily. Mounting is almost impossible w/o help. Broken tire levers. Cost.

I love the ride of these tires, however, they cut very easily. I have to be very tenacious about cleaning the tires everytime I run over anything that I might fear to be a flat "causer". So, rather like riding on eggshells.

Similar Products Used: Gatorskins, Continental 4000, hutchinsons
EDUC8-or   Road Racer [Jan 25, 2009]
Strength:

Soft Ride
Weight

VERY easy to cut and puncture

I put these on my lightweight wheel set about 2 months ago and have only used them on clean and smooth roads. I got such a great deal at my LBS, I thought I couldn't go wrong. Since the racing season is slow in the winter I have less than 100 miles on the tires and yesterday I picked up a piece of gravel that completely cut through the tire, and it's ruined. That was the second flat I'd had in less than 100 miles. I love the Vredesteins on my training wheelset, I'm going back to them. I know I got a deal on the Michelins at 35 bucks a pop, but there goes 70 bucks down the drain.

Similar Products Used: Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp
tdiddy   Recreational Rider [Aug 13, 2008]
Strength:

don't know

wall blew out after 6 miles at 120psi.

6 miles after purchase. Wall blew out. Sure it was a manu defect, but come ON!

Similar Products Used: many
ethand   Recreational Rider [Dec 09, 2007]

I put about 400 miles on Pro Race 2s with 8 flats and a sidewall blow-out that killed the tire. After commuting 25 miles through Boston year-round in a former life, I got pretty good at avoiding road carnage. The roads out here are luxury in comparison; I never saw any of the stuff that caused the punctures. I flatted every time I rode in the rain. I wouldn't consider using a michelin product for anything other than a signal fire at this point.

justin707   Road Racer [Nov 14, 2007]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, can handle corners well,fairly light, decent price, reliable, good rain tires

The ProRace2 are okay but they are not the best out there. They are soft and these are partly due to the manufacturer recommended max inflation pressure of 120 psi (although I have inflated these at 130)the softness gets worse during the hot summer months here in Texas

I bought these pair to replace the Hutchinsons that came with my bike. The Pro Race2 lasted me a good season and sustained maybe 3 or 4 flats. I use these tires mainly for my training bike

Similar Products Used: Conti4k, Vredestein Fortezza, Vittoria Open Corsa
phorapples   Road Racer [Oct 30, 2007]
Strength:

price, low rolling resistance, puncture resistant

cornering not as good as some other tires

I bought these tires specifically for racing. I used them in several crits, road races and some time trials.

So far I have not had any flats or major cuts after several hundred miles of use. They seem to roll really smooth, but don't have the traction of some other racing tires. I've slid out a couple of times in crits; once really bad.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick, Vredestien Fortezza Tricomp, Continental GP3000
Sknyskiman   Road Racer [Oct 19, 2007]
Strength:

Very low rolling resistance and reasonably good wear and durability.

Might get cuts easier than Contis.

For me, this tire has been a workhorse for training and racing performance. Low rolling resistance and reasonable wear. I'd say that Contis might last a bit longer, but the rolling surfaces get flat sooner, and have more rolling resistance. Michelin Pros seem to withstand hitting stuff on the road as well as any comparable Conti that I've ridden.

Similar Products Used: Continental lineup (top to bottom) for several years, and Specialized Mondo