Michelin Pro3 Race Tires - Clincher

Michelin Pro3 Race Tires - Clincher

The new Pro Race 3 sets new standards for performance road tires. Superlight folding bead, quality casing and tread saves further grams and reduces rolling resistance. claimed 200 grams 27% more cornering grip than the Pro2...

[Jun 21, 2017]
Steven

Strength:

None that I can find.

Weak sidewall

I flatted within 5 miles the first ride in the spring on my old rims. I purchased new Shimano Ultegra rims and again in my second ride of the spring made it just a little over 1 mile before the tire split across the sidewall. I am out two tubes and a tire and have only 6 miles to account for the purchase.

[May 18, 2013]
Superbill

Strength:

Good all around tire. Low rolling resistance.

I didn't see any.

I just took off some Pro 3s with over 4,600 miles on them. Sure they have some cuts and nicks because I ride everywhere. I weigh 155 lbs and ride about 4,000 miles a year. No problems. I look forward to my next set.

[Dec 20, 2012]
El Scorcho

Strength:

Low rolling resistance. Durable.

Not many, when they start to wear thin, best get them changed out quick.

One of my favorite tires ever for an all arounder.

[Jul 15, 2012]
netsullivc

Strength:

25mm nice rolling and cornering front tyre.

Foldable is a bit fiddly getting on and of the rim. Reluctant to use one on the rear as sont really think its tough enough for heavy duty / high load use.

Bought this as an alternative to GP4000s as next to impossible to get in 25mm and wanted a sticky front tyre that likes cornering and zipping along, fits the bill perfectly. It handles short term heavy loading i.e. during braking but reluctant to use it on the rear under continuous stress. Front tyres get to bounce around and flick out hazards where rear tyres simply have to "suck it up"! As a front tyre I found you just forget about it as it just gets on with the job so I would buy it again.

[Jun 16, 2012]
Bad Tires

Strength:

Good Grip

Don't last at all

Put on the tyre for the first time and the side wall split 12 mile into the ride on the flat surface. Worst tyre ever!

[Mar 23, 2012]
chris

Strength:

good new tire (good rolling resistance, somewhat light)

won't last (very weak sidewalls), too expensive

I bought a pair of pro race 3's last season (i live in brooklyn ny, so our season generally runs from april to october)...at first i thought they were a great tire, i was happy with their weight and they seemed to have good rolling resistance...but midway through the season i changed to kenda kaliente iron cloak, which were less expensive and lighter and a better rolling resistance...anyways i ended up upgrading to a felt b16 (entry level full carbon tri bike from the felt s32 *aluminin tri bike)...

[Aug 13, 2011]
Dan

Strength:

-> EXTREMELY low rolling resistance.
-> +1 mph, maybe more for true racers.
-> NO FLATS in the 1st 500 miles (thus far)
-> VERY comfortable ride - major improvement over commuting tires.
-> much better price than other high end racing tires

honestly, I haven't experienced a single weakness.

That price was for the pair, delivered from EBay.

Top flight racing tire which can be had for surprising discount online.

Extremely low rolling resistance - added just over 1 mph vs. my bike's stock tires (my cruising pace is about 18-20mph).

I've read tons about their propensity for flats - I've put about 500 miles on them in the past couple of months and not a single flat. They still look fresh - no nicks, cuts or damage. I'd say I ride on pretty clean roads, but I'm from Jersey so you'd know I'd be lying.

[Aug 07, 2011]
WillsMP

Strength:

Good grip, rolling resistance and feel.
Able to handle most conditions.
Grip is consistent right up until completely worn.
Good range of colours

Vulnerable to excessive wear as a training tyre.
Compound is probably too soft for everyday training and commuting.
Poor performance at less than optimal pressure.

First impressions on these tyres were extremely positive. The compound gives a fantastic balance between grip and rolling resistance and the feel of them was pretty sweet. I've ridden on these tyres for over a year now and observed a couple of things:

These wheels are very susceptible to cuts and nicks. Nothing serious or structural but it compromises the longevity a bit. I'd imagine a back tyre (Depending on your frame geometry) would only be good for 3000 kms on average roads.

Also, the grip on these were fantastic right up until the tread ran too thin. After locking the back wheel, the tread was completely stripped.

Finally, these tyres have excellent feel when at optimum pressure, but any less and they become unpredictable and rolling resistance becomes unacceptable. Not ideal as a commuting tyre.

Overall, these are extremely good tyres for their designated task. As a race tyre, they work well in giving you the best grip and speed, and if we're honest, that's all you want from a race tyre. Most of the issues with durability are likely the result of using them as a training tyre. And I agree, in that capacity, they're poor.

Specialized Mondo Pro clinchers

[Jul 27, 2011]
John Ramsey

Strength:

Great grip, good looks

They act as a sticky pad to hold any road debris in the tire and then poof!

Terrible !! I loved the Pro race 2 - they were amazing for puncture resistance and great ride. But these?? Geez, every little stone sticks to the tire and slowly become embedded and punctures. I finally had to carry a playing card to rub against the tire to dislodge the stones when they would become stuck - not easy/safe to do while riding!

Pro race 2

[Jul 26, 2011]
Marek Kozlowski

Strength:

Nice colour perfectly matching my frameset?
Ideal if you want to learn replace tires?

Absolute no puncture resistance!
They tear easily!
Last for appox. a week...

It is absolute world record which should be recorded in the Guinness World Records:
I used 4 tires, they got damaged after (respectively): 200, 350, 300 and 500 kilometers. You can tear or pierce it with almost anything!
Other tires I used were OK after approx. 5000 kilometers.

Michelin Pro1 and Pro2 Race,