Panaracer Pasela/Pasela TG Tires - Clincher

Panaracer Pasela/Pasela TG Tires - Clincher

An excellent and classic looking multi-use tire. The Pasela makes any road or hybrid bike more versatile. Its center ridge rolls over broken pavement and works on dirt roads as well. An excellent value for commuting or touring cycling. Size 700 Inch ISO 622.

[Dec 30, 2012]
froze

Strength:

Long wearing, highly puncture and cut resistant, price (you can't find a better tire for the price especially for those with 27" rims).

None.

It's difficult to find a good tire for 27" rims not alone a great tire, and the Panaracer Pasela TourGuard (TG) is a great tire, high mileage, highly cut and flat resistant, though nothing is flat proof. I have over 2,000 miles on mine and they still look almost new. This tire is a good compromise between having too thin of a sidewall that would damage easily but ride comfortably, to being too thick and stiff riding.

This review concerns the TG which has better flat protection and longer wearing tread then the non TG. Pasela TG 27" size range does come in a folding version but is very difficult to find. The Pasela also comes in two colors, black or skin (tan), sidewall for that vintage look which is what I got for my 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe.

These tires are designed for 3 seasons riding, commuting, touring but not heavy (35 or so pounds on the rear panniers and 25 pounds or so on the front panniers) expedition type of touring but rather medium weight (about 30 pounds or so on the rear panniers and 5 pounds or so in a handlebar bag) touring.

For the price these tires cannot be beat period, and I love mine, their the best 27" tire I've found for what I use it for which is long distance riding and medium weight touring.

Continental Gatorskin, and Gatorhardshell; Specialized Armadillo All Condition.

[Sep 26, 2011]
matt

Strength:

Ride feel and value for the money

None that I can find, I've had no problem with the side walls but I ride recreationally, not to commute so maybe I don't run across as much crap in the road.

This is actually a review of the Kevlar bead TG in 28c and the basic Pasela in 25c. The Pasela 25c tires have terrific road feel and smooth out bumpy pavement very well. About 80% of the ride feel of Challeng Triathlons for 40% of the cots. They also wear very well; the front tire shows very little wear and the rear shows some tread wear but not a lot after 1000 miles. They are a true 25c wide and very comfortable. I just purchased the Pasela TG in 28c to get a little more width. While they seem to be a good tire, you lose a little bit of road feel with the added flat protection. They have a slightly deader feel than the basic paselas. I was also a little dissappointed that the 28c TGs are only about 26.5mm wide, even with the foldable bead. They're both good tires but the basic Paselas ride better and cost less. I'd recommend them both and I'd recommend the plain Pasela over the TG.

Vittoria Randonneur, Vittoria Zaffiro, Challenge Triathlon

[Aug 24, 2011]
centurionomega

Strength:

handles all types of road well (in the 28c)
can go fast and smooth
gum sidewalls really look nice & old-timey

on a rain bike/commuter, those sidewalls are going to get dirty fast.

I have been riding with 27" wheels on my commuter for quite some time. I built these wheels myself, and they were really heavy with 36 spokes. They had 1 1/4 inch tires mounted.

I recently stuck some 700c wheels on the same bike, but I didn't have any suitably pothole friendly tires to accompany them.

After going for months with some worn out 23c slick tires, I finally thought it might be good to get some bigger tires before the rain sets in.

I have a friend who really likes Panaracer tires, so I thought I'd give these Pasela Tour Guard tires a try.

I started out at 90psi and the front tire felt kind of floppy in the turns. There was a sudden oversteer in the front that I was not used to. I upped the tire pressure to 95psi and things were much better. The sidewall recommends 105psi, but that seems extreme on a 28c tire.

Out on the road, these tires really smooth out this sometimes brittle feeling lugged steel frame. Road seams and minor pavement imperfections are muffled very admirably. After I figured out the tire pressure, the handling was easy and smooth.

On the bike, I gained the road-ability of the 27" inch wheels and 1 1/4" tires, without all of that weight.

I'll have to see how they work when the rain comes.

Continental Gatorskin

[Mar 19, 2011]
Rob Scheme

Strength:

great combination of traction, feel and speed. extremely flat resistant tread surface. very reasonable price for the quality and available in tons of sizes. I highly recommend it for those with 27" wheels, which are available in 1", 1-1/8", and 1-1/4" widths

Thin sidewalls. Outstanding performers at the rated 105 psi, with a significant drop in performance below 90psi. I don't recommend them if you intend to vary the pressure under different conditions or prefer a softer feel.

I have the Tourguard version with kevlar belting. I hate having to go around stuff and tend to ride "guerrilla style"- on and off sidewalks, trails, and roads, through ditches, traffic, flower beds, or whatever. I got these because the anti-puncture belt and because I wanted a tire that would roll like a road tire on pavement but had some tread for cornering in slippery conditions.

I ride anywhere from 2 to 10 or more miles a day under varied urban conditions for about a year and they have mostly lived up to expectations. Compared to a traditional road tire they vastly improve traction and handling in poor conditions without sacrificing feel or increasing rolling resistance.

I pinched a tube after hitting a huge pothole at high speed with the tires under-inflated (my fault really). A heavy duty staple in another pothole punctured my rear sidewall, so one tire had to be replaced. The fact is, no tire is going to save you if you ride like an idiot (and I do!) or fail to maintain it properly (guilty again!). If you take care of this tire, however, I believe it will take care of you.

A Schwalbe Marathon replaced the tire with the punctured side wall. This tire has a bulge, which was a major disappointment, but defects happen. I am going back to the pasela (which it replaced) not because I got a defective tire as much as size issues. for 27" wheels Marathons only come in 1-1/4" widths, which doesn't fit well in my fenders (I ride in wet conditions too often to take those off!) They have more traction and thicker sidewalls, but are heavier and have a softer feel. I think they'd be a great tire for randonneuring, commuting, or even trail if they fit your bike since from all accounts they are as near to bullet proof as a pneumatic tire gets.

[Oct 17, 2010]
Dion

Strength:

Price, looks.

Weak sidewall, poor mounting.

I bought these back in Feb. 2010 because they were getting fair reviews and I liked the look of the gum sidewall for my Surly Pacer. I figured that, since they were touring tires, they'd be built pretty nicely. Although I've only experienced one flat with them (pinch flat), I couldn't get the darn rear to seat properly and I had to ride home with a gigantic hop.

This flat was a result of falling into a rut. Given that I cyclocross and mountain bike more than road ride, I didn't think anything of it until I felt the back go squishy. The sidewall was seriously compromised.

If they didn't mount up so horribly and have thin sidewalls, I'd probably still have them. I just don't want to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a busted tire. Other than that, I've put a couple thousand miles on them.

Continental Gatorskins

[Oct 22, 2009]
ZS

Strength:

Smooth ride.

Any small sharp objects will tear through these like a butter knife through crisco.

I bought the Panaracers based on very positive online feedback and word-of-mouth. I've come to the conclusion that these are the worst tires I've ever owned. After two months without problems these tires started going flat at least twice a week due to small shards of glass on the road. The tires offer absolutely no resistance to glass. If you live in the city and use your bike often steer clear of this inferior product.

[Aug 29, 2009]
apaeth

Strength:

Cheap

They are crap

I have only put about 200 miles on these tires and the sidewalls are falling apart already.

[Aug 25, 2009]
paulip88

Strength:

Puncture resistance
Glass tolerance

Traction, especially in rain
Build quality

+5 for great puncture resistance, -2 for sketchy build quality.

These tires have been troublefree since I put them on three months ago. So far I've had no flats and I've probably put around 1000 miles on them.

Traction is good on dry pavement, but a bit sketchy on wet pavement - which is mostly an issue with the Seattle roads which are often slick in the rain, but still an issue for me.

No punctures so far, and I go about 10-20 miles on urban roads that are often littered with glass bits of all sorts - bottles, broken windows, and other various debris. I've noticed a few gashes in the tires from this debris, but nothing has penetrated the tire to strike the tube.

The build quality is a concern. They always felt cheap. Even when new they weren't symmetrical, the border between the yellow sidewall and the black tread is nowhere near straight, and the sidewall has various bulges from sketchy construction. Recently I've noticed that the sidewall has also started to crack. It's purely cosmetic at this point, but it certainly doesn't earn them any points.

Kenda Kwest (considerably worse puncture resistance, but better road feel and traction, same speed)

[Dec 26, 2008]
terryJ

Strength:

good all round and cheap, long distance ,commuting, relaible.

said to be heavy, but except for a race I cannot feel it.

cheap bargain for winter use on 2nd bike.
Soon became favourites for all long rides out with the club. rolling resistance I think surprisingly low (32mm)at 90psi.great grip in all weathers. no flats in 2 years that I can remember.the 32mm soak up road buzz and cope well with rough stuff.

marathon, mplus, spiders, hemispheres

[Dec 07, 2008]
FrenchFit

Strength:

Smooth roller, good tracking and good looking.

None so far.

27" 1/4 on a commuter. I don't ride in freezing weather, and my route is all paved. Can't say enough good things about this tire so far, very smooth and true line and they take bumps and pot holes well. Excellent value. Good fit and clincher stability on vintage rims, which isn't true for all brands.

Various 27" tires.