Performance Forte Kevlar Tires - Clincher

Forte Kevlar

Little Bunny Foo Foo   Triathlete [May 09, 2009]
Strength:

Price

sizing is incorrect, casing likes to seperate and puncture tubes, flat resistance might be suspect, and high rolling resistance.

These tires initially pissed me off and pretty much continued to disappoint. I bought them to put on a set of cheap rims that I had for commuting. Well, turns out the 23mm advertised width is in actually a 20mm width. I couldn't use them on the 21 mm wheels because the rim was wider than the tire. I kept them and put them on my nicer wheel set because they were cheap enough. I ended up using them for commuting for a while and got a flat once every month or so. This was more frequent than I normally get them, but my route has glass, razor blades and other hazards, so it really is just a crapshoot. I soon moved and no longer needed to commute, so the tires became my roller tires. Randomly one day I got a flat. Yes. On the rollers. Without thinking, I patched it, only to get a flat again a few days later. The casing inside had seperated and was puncturing the tire. I put a section of tire pack on the inside of the tire and continued to run it. About 500 miles later the other tire did the same thing. The tread still had at least 50% of their life left, but I didn't want to spend my time patching and replacing tubes, so I've thrown them out.

Similar Products Used: Continental GP 4000 chili, Hutchinson Top Speed, Vittora Rubino Pro, Nashbar Prima 2 kevlar.
techai   Recreational Rider [May 05, 2009]

Horribly difficult to mount

I hate things bad. These tires are nearly impossible to get on the rims. Since I learned the technique of changing tires without tools, I have eschewed anything but my fingers for changing tires. With these, I barely got the first bead on without a tool but after a forehead of sweet and sore fingers, I had to grab tools to get the second bead. This is horrible and is only because of the poor design or production. I'll never by Forte again.

Similar Products Used: Continental, Hutchinson, Panaracer
NM Biker   Recreational Rider [Jul 30, 2008]
Strength:

Too tight for wheel i.e. bad fit. Hellacious on tire tools. Don't resist flats,

Worst tire I have ridden on. I changed from Bontrager Race Lite XL's to try to save some money. When I first TRIED to put these on my wheels they were so tight I could not get even the first bead on without a crow bar and sledge hammer. After inserting the tube the second bead was even worse and I have since broken three tire tools and two tube due to pinch flats. These are supposed to be puncture resistent with kevlar belt but I have had numerous "goat head" flats in the two months I have been on these tires. Then to try to repair the tube on the ride means many scuffed knuckles trying to get the tire off the rim. The ride is rough and I have no confidence in these tires. I went back to Bontrager and LOVE them. I feel like I am home again. Money is one thing, enjoying the ride is far superior to saving funds.

Similar Products Used: Conti Gatorskins, Bontrager Race Lite XL, Team Turbo super lite racing, Conti Ultra
borregokid   Recreational Rider [May 24, 2008]
Strength:

Resisitant to pinch flats, good for a heavier rider. Less like to let you down on a long ride. You will have very few flats with this tire.

It doesnt last real long. You might get 3000 miles, probably less.

Definitely my favorite tire. I dont really like riding with any other tires. It actually feels like a tire and not a piece of plastic. Its taller than most tires with an extra bead of rubber. It is extremely resistant to pinch flats

Similar Products Used: Continental 1000, 2000, 3000, ultra gatorskins.
Bob Manipis   Commuter [May 04, 2008]
Strength:

Cheap

Hard to mount and the second set of tires have proven to not be as flat resisitant as the first set I purchasd.
Hard ride.

Well this is my second set of tires. The first time I purchased these tires they were bullet proof. Perfect for commuting. The second set I have not been that lucky. I have had too many flats on the rear to mention. Probably a function of bad roads and debris left over from sanding during winter. I commute regularly so I need dependable tires.

Similar Products Used: Too many to mention
TommyApplehead   Recreational Rider [Apr 07, 2005]
Strength:

Light

resistance to cut. One tire was very difficult to mount, required tire irons.

Have ripped sidewalls twice and center tread once. Not sure if the rips were justified, didn't hit anything, just a rough road, but felt they should be tougher to cut.

Similar Products Used: Michelin. Never a problem.
heatstroke   Recreational Rider [Aug 02, 2004]
Strength:

Light / Cheap(ish) excluding costs of tubes

kevlar bead on one tyre is dodgy.

I purchase 4 of these. 1st one installed at 100psi with no problems. 2nd one. Tube blew out in 1 minute, I thought I'd forgotton to seat the bead. So reinstalled being ultra carefull again. 20seconds later - BANG !!! Cost me 2 light tubes. 3rd tyre worked ok

Similar Products Used: Hutch Carbon Comps. vredstein Fortezzas
pr0230   Road Racer [Jul 19, 2004]
Strength:

Kevlar, no flats

tread could last a little longer, however I'm 220 lbs... So I understand why the rear tire is showing wear...

From the spread of the dates on each of the reviews, it appears that this tire has been consistiently good over many years... I originally had continental 1000's and after the first flat got these tires (Pro kevlars)... No flats... Period ... So far .. 500 miles... The back tire is showing a little wear... the front looks new... For 28 bucks its a very good tire...

bigpoppa   Recreational Rider [Apr 27, 2004]
Strength:

Smooth ride. Zero flats. Price.

None so far.

Tires are rock solid. 500 miles zero flats, I have the kevlar lined version, not sure if that metters.

Similar Products Used: Variuos continental and specialized tires.
Dinosaur   Recreational Rider [Dec 14, 2002]
Strength:

Good rolling resistance, fairly durable, good price if on sale. I would not pay full price for them.

Don't use a high psi exceeding 120 or the sidewalls will bulge. I don't know where Performance came up with this psi rating. But I was running too high a psi anyway, no reason to inflate to that pressure, ride too harsh and my tires wore out rapidly (any brand).

I purchased 5 of these tires when they were on sale at Performance for $19.98 per tire 2 summers ago. I had two rear tires bulge on me around 600-800 miles and I lowered the psi from 130 (which is what is listed on Peformance's specs) to 120 and no more problems. Now I run them at 8 bars (118 psi). For the money I paid these were good tires. They are made by National Tire Company of Japan who makes Panaracer tires. I had two hanging in my garage that had about half a tread life on them and I slapped them on my rims when I noticed my Conti GP's were shot. And the front tire is still on has an incredible amount of miles on it. If I wanted to save money I'd use a Forte Pro Kevlar on my front rim and a Conti GP3000 on the rear. They have a good feeling to them and are fairly durable.

Similar Products Used: You name it...anything on sale.