Schwalbe Marathon Supreme Tires - Clincher

Marathon Supreme

The Marathon Supreme is a super tough touring tire that maintains excellent ride quality and is the lightest in the Marathon line. HD SpeedGuard puncture protection breaker is made up of tightly woven fibers to keep flats at bay while preserving a supple ride. LiteSkin sidewall is super tough but also lightweight. RoadStar triple rubber compound provides excellent grip and long tread life. Water channels further wet weather handling. Reflective stripe on sidewall. Folding bead further lightens the load. Size 700c x 35mm 37-622mm ISO. 430 grams.

Chainstay   Recreational Rider [Oct 28, 2014]
Strength:

Tough, good pavement performance, adequate gravel performance, better cornering on wide rim, long wearing, good shock absorption

light bulb shape on narrow rim so not so stable, need to watch loose road conditions like gravel and wet leaves, rides a bit on the harsh side at 90psi, not light

I am running the 700 x 28 version and have had it on both 19.5mm and 24mm wide rims. It is a very good touring tire or commuter tire if you want long life and ride primarily on the pavement. I also use this tire on light gravel and loose terrain but you need to corner carefully. It is better shaped and more stable on the wider rim

Similar Products Used: Conti GP 4 seasons - much faster rolling tire
Derak Edwards   [Sep 28, 2014]
Strength:

Just completed 2500kms on a pair of these great tyres on read tracks and forest trails around Chiang Mai northern Thailand. Just one puncture but hardly the tyres fault, A 2mm slit between rim and reflective strip,says more about the roads and tracks than the tyre. The mold mark around the circumference on the front tyre is still just visible so looking forward to thousands of more kms on these tyres. Piece of cake to mount and remove(700Cx35)

At over $100 for a pair,expensive but quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten. Not the best in mud and sand but for me a minor problem as my routes rarely take me over this sort of surface.

So far the best tyres I have used in almost 30 thousand kms of day rides and touring. If the first 2,500kms is anything to go by then will not be looking for anything else when it comes to replacement.

Jacek Seroka   [Jul 12, 2014]
Strength:

During my last trip through Iceland extremely sharp stones on offroads paths are very common,I had a zero flats

Great Fast tires and no flats

Martin   Recreational Rider [Apr 11, 2010]
Strength:

Good rolling and comfortable. Felt good throwing them over the nearest fence when I replaced them roadside.

Expensive. Not puncture resistant. Not durable.

Bought 2.0 Supremes for Perth to Sydney tour. Fast and comfortable to start. Expected durability and flat resistance and got neither. Tyres punctured easily in Aussie conditions (thorns mainly)and altho rotated every 1000 kms the inner lining of one tyre split and deformed at 3000kms. Both tyres substantially worn. Tyres sank suddenly and dangerously when forced into soft shoulder material causing two spills.

Similar Products Used: Replaced with GEAX evolutions, old model. Slower, heavier but safer and more comfortable.
MTT   Commuter [Feb 13, 2010]
Strength:

Rain handling and puncture resistance

I have tried the Armadillo, Gatorskin and this tire for commuting, and this one is the best with the Gatorskin second. For me it is not just about puncture resistance, but how the bike handles in the rain, and this tire works great in the rain.

Similar Products Used: Gatorskin and the Armadillo
John A.   Commuter [Oct 26, 2009]
Strength:

Durability, flat-resistance, ride comfort.

slightly increased rolling resistance. Well worth the benefits.

How much is your time worth? Got tired of flats on my commute. Averaged about one flat every two weeks, but sometimes multiple flats on one ride! Once I fitted the Marthon Supremes, flats dropped to... well I'm not sure what they dropped to yet because six months later I still haven't had one. Yes, these are the same gravel and glass-strewn roads and goathead-infected paths I've been riding for years. Whatever "kevlar" my old tires had was BS. These Scwhalbes are proving themselves to me. And having reflective sidewalls is a great idea. In fact once you see them lit up, other tire makers are ignorant not to have them.

Cost vs. other tires: Yes they are more expensive. How much is your time worth? Because these are going to save you hours of roadside repairs over the life of the tires. You ride in the rain? Isn't fixing a flat in the rain so much fun? I'm trying to get from point A to point B. I'm not in the Tour de France, and I don't have someone following me with spares. These tires are meant for the real world.

Similar Products Used: Previous tires were Avocet FasGrip with Kevlar (meh). Also Bontrager Race Lite "hardcase" (double meh.)
FrenchFit   Recreational Rider [Oct 17, 2009]
Strength:

Very smooth rolling, fairly fast, feels strong and light, handles touring weight - no problem. A good looking tire.

Just the price.

Replaced a rear Holy Roller with a SUPREME 26 x 2. on my trekking bike. Only have 50 or so miles on it, moderate load, 26" rims. Wish I had done it earlier this year, pretty much can stay up a gear. It feels like Bontrager hardcase race-lite, but bigger. Off road, I don't know, but I'm not on the loose stuff that often. Not heavy like the marathon pluses.

Similar Products Used: Holy Rollers, WTB Nanos, Panaracers, Marathon Plus
drintoul   Recreational Rider [Aug 01, 2009]
Strength:

Real puncture protection, comfortable ride, roll and wear well.

I commute 20 miles or 32 km per day in Sydney. Broken glass is a big problem, particularly in silvertail Mosman where they drop more beer bottles than they could possibly drink. What's more they never seem to sweep up - probably never used a broom in their lives! Even with another puncture protected tire I was getting weekly flats. Not now! Impressively, the 700x35c Marathon Plus tires have withstood a couple of months without a single flat. In addition, they provide a very comfortable ride. They roll very well, more than disguising their weight. They are showing no signs of wear after more than 600 miles or 1,000 km. Yes they cost an arm and a leg, but with this sort of performance they are cheap to run.

Similar Products Used: NA
Robbergh   Road Racer [Mar 25, 2009]
Strength:

Looks good on the bike.

High rolling resistance.

I just built up a Surly Travelers Check for touring and selected the 32c width. I rode these tires at 95psi for 400 miles on a tour of Death Valley. I thought these tires had significantky more rolling resistance than the 23c width I am used to on my road bike. This may be true for all wider tires, but I am thinking of going to a 28c width tire for less rolling resistance.

Similar Products Used: Fortezza TriComps at 145psi.
Hot Rod Lincoln   Recreational Rider [Oct 12, 2008]
Strength:

Smooth, long wearing, durable

absolutely none

I am a heavyweight. I built up a Surly Cross Check as a road bike, commuter, tourer and had a friend from Canada tell me about these tires as the best. He was right. I ride it constantly and it has never flatted, rolls smooth and maintains speed, handles potholes with no problems. And I only have the 28mm size. My friend told me to get the 30's or 32's but I made a mistake when ordering. But, I don't know if the fatter tires would be any better at anything. I would like to try but I don't think these things will wear out for a long time. I love them