Schwalbe Ultremo DD Tires - Clincher

Schwalbe Ultremo DD Tires - Clincher

A fast race tire with Double Defense technology for incredible puncture resistance. The first defense is the HD ceramic belt which is very tough and contains ceramic particles which actually help dull sharp objects. The second defense is 'Snake Skin' which improves puncture protection in the shoulders and sidewalls. Triple Nano Compound features low rolling resistance in the center and improved grip in the shoulders. 115 PSI Max. All Black. 700c x 23mm 23-622 ISO or 700c x 25mm 25-622 ISO...

[Jul 16, 2013]
Koach

Strength:

attractive, measures larger than advertised, smooth, sure grip

rear is unthreading with less than 600 miles

I've used Schwalbe Stelvio's and Racing Ralph's in the past without issue, but I'm experiencing unfamiliar results with the DD's- the rear is literally unthreading itself. I'm running 25mm's on 22mm wide AC Hurricanes and they measure in at 27mm when properly inflated. I just totaled the mileage on this set to <600 miles so far this year and quite surprised to find 'strings' hanging from the rear tire during cleaning last week. Upon further inspection, while resisting the impulse to tug the strings, I also discovered what I initially thought was a large slice in the sidewall to be an apparent separation where the ends of the tire are mated/bonded together. This was furthered by the same finding on the opposite side which has left me feeling a bit concerned as I routinely achieve 50mph on local downhills.

So, do I concern myself and replace or not worry about it since it's only occurring on the rear and perhaps not ready for the trash just yet? I doubt I'll ever hear back from Schwalbe, but perhaps I should give them a shout.

In the end it's hard to rate these tires as the front is fine, but the rear appears to be self destructing...