Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 Tires - Clincher

Ultremo R.1

Schwalbe made their fastest even better. The rubber compound particles have been reduced in size for lower rolling resistance, greater longevity, and enhanced grip. HD-V Guard features puncture resistant casing woven with high-density ceramic fabric. Three optimized rubber mixtures are fast, grippy, and durable. 700c x 23mm (23-622 ISO). 180 grams.

Charles Jefferson   [May 29, 2012]
Strength:

Able to ride for a week until the sidewall started to bubble out.

Quality control at Schwalbe is non existent. Customer support is equally poor!

Tires bulge out, and go out of round then burst. Filed a warranty claim three times and was told they were lost?

The worst tire/company you could ever do business with!!! Why they are not out of business is beyond me?

Open Roader   Recreational Rider [Apr 29, 2011]
Strength:

Excellent feedback, a true racing tyre.
Grippiest tyre I've ridden on yet, incl. torrential rain.
Does not wear flat in the centre of the profile/can be rotated with regularity to extend milage of one pair.
Easy to fit from new/folded. I can hand fit mine in minutes without resorting to levers or lube.

Costly compared to some competitors

I'm takling about 2010 purchased Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 23's in all black colour (not the older and recalled / defective Ultremo R model)

Ridden on a carbon framed bike, 76kg rider 100psi front / 110 psi rear. Ridden over rough country roads for 1,500km.

Confidence inspiring grip right over to the edges. Excellent feedback and warning before any loss of traction. Does not flatten badly in the centre of the profile allowing for safer rotation. At 1,500 km with three rotations at approx. 500km each I expect this intitial pair to last 3000km before I consider replacements. No punctures thus far, one minor 3mm gash out of the carcas close to the extreme limit of the contact area.

Similar Products Used: I prefer the feel of these over the following :-

Michelin Pro3 23mm
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo KX 23mm
Feltbiker   Recreational Rider [Apr 08, 2011]
Strength:

Light and fast. Great durability.

I haven't found a weakness yet

I purchased these tires and have they been great! They perform much better than the Michelin Pro 3 race I had. I currently have 2000 miles on them and no flats. Just bought a new road bike and have already ordered some for it.

Similar Products Used: Pro 3 Race
Zachariah   Recreational Rider [Nov 25, 2010]
Strength:

~Fast
~Grippy
~Wet traction
~Light, at 182g a tire

~Cannot ride at comfort pressures(below 120psi)
~Cost

The fastest, grippiest tire I have ridden yet. Although ridden almost 1200 miles, these super-fast tires look like they can go another 1000 miles, once you rotate the tires.

However today, a road grate slashed my rear tire badly, rendering it useless. In its' riding history, only three flats occurred. Always keep pressure above 120psi, or else a 95psi pinch flat like mine will definitely spoil your ride.

I'm going to try Vittoria Evo Corsa CX 390tpi tires next...

Similar Products Used: Continental Grand Prix 4000s(2300mi)
Vittoria Zaffiro Pro(200mi)
Matty   Road Racer [Oct 07, 2010]
Strength:

They felt 'ok'

Quality problems.

First ride out on Ultremo R1's was not good. A perceived 'manufacturers fault', a straight split in the sidewall caused the tube to let go on the first descent I came across. Needless to say the damage to my bike, clothing and myself was substantial. There was ABSOLUTELY no sign of a sharp object penetrating the tread or sidewall, this looked simply like a manufacturing fault as it was that clean and straight of a 'cut'.