Specialized 03 Nimbus Armadillo Tire Tires - Clincher

03 Nimbus Armadillo Tire

Improved Armadillo for 2003 provides even better bead-to-bead flat protection for ATB commuters or street denizens.

Everyday Commuter   Commuter [Apr 18, 2010]
Strength:

Good rolling resistance with the semi-slick tread. Bombproof tire(at least for me).

none so far.

I commuter everyday to work all year. I was looking to try out a new tire. I chose the Nimbus for it's 1.5 inch semi-slick tread. So far I've had it for a year now. Probably have close to 5k miles on them and I've only had one flat. Riding in mostly urban/suburban roads thru rain, snow, and everything else you find on the road. The tread is still holding up good. I'm hoping to get 15k miles or more out of them. I was put off at first over the price. But I knew I'd put em' to the test. And they are worth every penny. I would buy these again.

philnw2   Recreational Rider [Apr 19, 2005]
Strength:

More speed and less weight, 6 oz per tire, than previous mountain bike tires. Seems to corner fine on packed dirt and pavement

Tires seem really stiff. I will probably try reduced tire pressures. Sort of wondering if 1.75" tires would be a better compromise for the conditions i travel. But basically, happy with the marked speed increase from the new tires

Had 26" by 2.0 inch 35 -80 psi knobby mountain bike tires on my bike. Switched to 26" by 1.5 Specialized Nimbus Armadillo tires for packed dirt trail and street riding. At 100 psi tire pressure, speeds on various sections of my 7 mile commute have increased by from 2 to 5 mph, except on a very steep section. I did try going slowly down a steep dirt nearby foot path and they hung in there fine under dry conditions. I'm happy with the tires and also the fact that installing the tires reduced the front wheel weight from 4.5 lbs to 4 lbs and the back wheel from 5.5 lbs to 5 lbs

Fast Eddie   Commuter [Oct 17, 2003]
Strength:

Solid construction. Excellent handling. Good tread wear.

I did not find any. The fact is, these are great tires. However, I only used them for 3 months before I sold the bike. I will complete my evaluation of the tire in my upcoming program which will peak at 35 mile per day, 5 days per week.

Excellent tires. I put them on my mountain bike (a 1998, Trek 830) for road work. I beat these tires to death (I weighed 240 or so at the time, down now to 210). In three months I put 1000+ miles on them. The tread wasn't even phased. The ride was smooth but it is hardly going to be rough on a trek 830 with shocks, etc., so I do not know how to compare that to the thinner road tires mounted on a road bike. They cornered very nicely and I had very good control. I really was impressed with these tires. The most fun I had was watching them shoot stuff I would run over away from them at high rates of speed (I had them pumped at 85-90 PSI); and the sound it made, like one of those balls you played with in school when we were kids, but much more powerful and authoritative in its propelling sound. I now have a Specialized Sequoia (an amazingly beautiful ride and exceptional and comfortable bike) and I have put some new Armadillos on it, due to the crappy quality of the "Specialized All Condition Sport" tires that came with the bike -16 miles on a brand new bike, then a deep, hard flat. How lame is that?!

Similar Products Used: Specialized All Condition Sport. A poor choice to put on a road bike designed for an intense commuter, and a tire I'd never buy again.