Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite Tires - Clincher

All Condition Armadillo Elite

• All Condition Armadillo Elite road tire does absolutely everything well, making it one of the best, lightweight, multi-condition, puncture resistant tires available anywhere. The lightweight siped tread blends all-weather traction and our Dual Radius Tread design with exceptional wear, without sacrificing rolling resistance.
  • Flat Protection: Armadillo Elite technology, the ultimate in lightweight puncture resistance
  • 120 TPI casing
  • Compound Center: 70a
  • Compound Shoulder: 60a
  • Bead: Kevlar
  • DRT design for low rolling resistance and great cornering
  • PSI: 115-125

• User Reviews (13)

Tom   [Aug 25, 2013]
    Strength:

Tough as a armadillo

Compared to my previous tires they ride hard and slow, like turning into a head wind. Have tried them in rain or winter like weather yet but I believe they'll handle fine.

Obliviously a speciality or rough terrain tire and very good for that purpose, but if you want to move it out check other brands first.

kostas   [Apr 06, 2013]
    Strength:

Never had flats

After 1000km I inflated the tire and it was deformed, having an "S" shape!!!

Total waste for what you pay for...

BikesOfALesserGod   [Aug 27, 2012]
    Strength:

Flat resistance

A tad pricey and only available from Specialized dealers

I had one flat via a goathead since I got these tires two months ago wheras I was averaging a flat a week before on my Bonty R1s. Some may say so it doesn't prevent flats after all, well, to that I say how can you know how many it prevented already before it flatted? It could be stopping a potential flat everyday up that point.

Obviously I like the reliability of these tires. Additionally, I feel no difference in the ride quality compared to my old tires. Everything is harsh on an aluminum bike. The only thing I don't like about Dillos is that you can only get them @ MSRP from a Specialized dealer. No Amazon discounts for me.

Mike   Road Racer [May 19, 2012]
    Strength:

No flat tires - ever... Mileage...

Slight increase in weight...

No flat tires in 10 years since I have been using the Specialized Armadillo series of tires. I ride centuries every weekend and occasionally ride double challenges. I put 200 to 300 miles on my tires a week. I despise flat tires as they cost time. I am told that they ride harder, however I have never noticed. My last set lasted 2,680 miles before the rubber sheathing started to peel off, however recently I have been riding in harsher desert climates.

Andrew McIntyre   Recreational Rider [Oct 07, 2010]
    Strength:

Bombproof

Heavy, horrible ride

I have about 600 miles on my Armadillo without any flats, however, im probably going to switch Continental Gatorskins because the ride quality is absolutely horrible. Im 6ft 4", 250lbs, I need something a little lighter and a lot more comfortable.

Similar Products Used: Continental Gatorskins
    Joe Twomey   Recreational Rider [Jul 08, 2010]
    Strength:

Easy to mount.

Extremely poor reliability and toughness.

Absolutely the worst tire I have ever owned, bar none. With less than 150 miles on the tire, I noticed an out of round condition on my rear wheel during a ride. I stopped to investigate only to notice an "S" bend in the tire (tires were inflated to 120 psi). Fearing that it would fail, I returned only to have the tire blow up (not just go flat) a short while later. Luckily I was not cornering. This is the second Specialized tire I have had this happen to in the past month (First one was a Mondo with only 350 miles on it. Oh, and the LBS would not warranty the tire).

Similar Products Used: Michelin, Continental, Maxxis, Specialized, and yes, even Nashbar.
    pdainsworth   Recreational Rider [Jan 30, 2010]
    Strength:

Strong, durable, puncture resistant tires that ride, on the whole, well.

They are a little spendy at retail, I suppose. However, I feel the benefits outweigh the cost.

These tires are a really solid all-around tire, particularly if puncture resistance is important to you. They are not the smoothest riding tire, but are on par with similar tires from Continental, Schwalbe, etc. I have used two sets of these tires over the past 2+ years and 7000 or so miles. I had my first flat two weeks ago, and never did find what caused it. It may have been a tube defect. I did have one tire suffer a serious cut that destroyed the tire, causing it to have a hernia-like bulge in the casing. I did not, however, get a flat, and was able to finish the ride without a problem.
    The tires are grippy enough, and perform well during the wet Northwest winters. Peopl talk about them riding harshly, but I hae never had a problem with that. I am a bigger rider (6'1", 230lbs), so perhaps that mitigates the harshness of the ride.
    All in all, these are durable tires that perform well. I have no complaints.

Similar Products Used: Conti GP4000, Conti GP4Season
    Michelin
    Pro 2 Race
    Schwalbe Stelvio and Durano
    aaronis31337   Recreational Rider [Aug 19, 2009]
    Strength:

Hard and strong

Hard riding.

I've had these tires for some time and and I swapped them off for higher-end tires. After seeing the poor life of my Hutchingson Fusion's and Rubino's I went back to these. They are really hard riding, but the work well and have very few flats. The tread seems to last forever. I'm really happy with these and would rate them almost equal to the conti GP4000's.

Similar Products Used: Lots and lots. These are a great training tire.
    meeshu   Recreational Rider [Jul 01, 2009]
    Strength:

Appear to be reasonably durable with very little wear shown. Puncture resistant to a degree.

A bit sluggish. Uncomfortable ride. Not puncture resistant enough.

I purchased these tires as they seemed to fit my requirement for tires that were durable, puncture resistant, and not too slow.

I have two sets of these tires now.

First set front tire developed a slow leak from a puncture. Soon after, the rear tire also developed a slow leak puncture!

I've now replaced the first set of punctured tires with the newer second set of tires. So far there have been no punctures or other problems with the replacement set.

Although no (current) tire is completely puncture proof, is was disappointing to have two punctures occurring so soon on these tires.

There is a degree of chance involved when getting punctures, but the local roads here are hard on tires (and cyclists!) due to chip seal, broken seal, and debris. Therefore it is preferable to use puncture resistant (and durable) tires on these roads, that is why I purchased these Elite tires.

I might go back to Ultra Gatorskin tyres, as I've never had a puncture with them, so far. Plus they are more comfortable to ride and are a bit faster as well.