Tufo Pro S33 Tires - Clincher

Pro S33

Popular model of tubular and tubular clincher tire for all around use. Fine tread pattern contributes to low rolling resistance and good riding quality.

Allen   Recreational Rider [Sep 25, 2007]
Strength:

Price
They're round!

Weight - though what do you expect for the price?

I had over 2000 miles on a TUFO S33 pro (tubular) before I got my first puncture. I put the TUFO sealant in and have had 130 PSI in the tire for a month since then.

I like the tires: they're reasonably priced; they seem pretty tough (I doubt I ever got 2000 miles on a Continental Sprinter without flatting); they go on nicely and they roll straight.

I like the tires, but I REALLY like the goo (TUFO sealant). It sure beats peeling off a tire and gluing on a new one in the middle of nowhere. I haven't tried it with other brands of tubulars, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

Similar Products Used: Continental Sprinter (± same price)
Vittoria Corsa Pro (not the same price)
bcasinger   Recreational Rider [Dec 11, 2004]
Strength:

Cool factor, tread

Weight. And I am nervous about them coming off again.

I have used these on my Fuji Cross, mounted on Mavic Open Pro rims. Had a flat in 100 miles, but the sealant fixed that. Then the front tire came off the rim in a sharp turn. Ouch! I had them aired down to about 50 lbs. Maybe that was the cause, but if so TUFO should stop advertising that they can be run at low pressure.

Similar Products Used: Ricthey Speedmax Cross (great tire).
kestrel@1063   Recreational Rider [Jun 28, 2004]

I bought these with the anticipation that I would get a smooth ride and with the sealant, be trouble-free for some time but that did not happen. These tires have a very stiff ride (compared to others in their price range at the same pressures) and a shard of glass left the rear one useless with only 200 miles. The Tufo sealant would not hold over 80 lbs which makes this a useless high pressure tire at that point. I returned to my old clinchers and will replace tubes as I've done for the last 5,000 miles. I consider this a failed experiment. These are the tubular-clincher version.

Phatty   Recreational Rider [Aug 07, 2003]
Strength:

Great all around tire.

Never could get the tufo tire sealant to fix a tiny flat. That freaked me out so bad, now I dont ride the tires anymore except under dire-straight situations.

Nice durable tire.

Similar Products Used: Panaracer s extreme. ( the best 800 mile tire around )
terrencekeenan   Road Racer [Dec 30, 2002]
Strength:

so far, so good

bicycletires.com is a dealer out of indianapolis. Very personal and thorough service. I highly recommend them. I can't say much about Tufos yet, other than their tread is still there after 500 miles and they haven't flatted. Can't say the same for my previous Conti Sprinters. I took them through some nasty road-side debris, but they should be able to resist that c--p if you want to be confident racing them, plus they were only 2 days ridden. I recently took up tubulars, those were my first pair and would have made me go back to clinchers had I not sunk the money in new wheels. I've been to the Czech republic and they are resourceful, and highly skilled workers. They are the best when it comes to making beer and plastic explosives. If it weren't for communism they would share the same quality of life as the germans and austrians. I would trust any product coming from the Czechs.

Similar Products Used: Conti Sprinter, Vittoria CX
Rusty McNasty   Recreational Rider [Aug 13, 2001]
Strength:

really strong, flat resistant, ROUND!!!!, they wear like iron

rubber is hard, makes a bit of noise, a little bit stiff

Great tire for a great price. They don't flat, leak, or make you bounce around. Best tire in miles/dollar.
Too bad they are so hard to find, you gotta deal with those twerps at world class cycles! If anybody knows a BETTER dealer, please post it!!!

Similar Products Used: just about all tubulars under $70
Ben   Triathlete [Jul 30, 2001]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance. Resistance to flats. Long wearing.

Stiff ride at max psi and are somewhat noisy at speed.

An excellent general-use tire. I have put over 900 miles on these tires and haven't experienced a flat as of yet. Could be due to the Tufo sealant I installed into each tire to help prevent flats. Extremely durable tread. Looks like it will last another 900-1000 miles more. When inflated to the max pressure of 175 psi, the ride can be harsh. I would only recommend doing this for time trials and not centuries. When inflated to 115-130 psi, the ride is smooth and better suited for century rides. I do notice when this tire gets up to speed, it is somewhat noisy. It may be partly due to the Zipp wheelset. Riders in the club I'm with describe the sound as a truck that is coming. At least they know I'm coming up behind them! Cornering with this tire is better than my Veloflex Pave tires on my training wheelset which are the Rolf Vector Comps. Less wheel slip translates to more confidence and speed into turns. Bottom line, this tire is an excellent entry-level tubular with the performance of it's higher priced models. Other than the noise, this tire has given me 900 trouble-free miles. I strongly suggest adding the sealant, it adds only 20 grams/tire but gives you additional protection from flats.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Formula Uno
Alex   Recreational Rider [Aug 05, 2001]
Strength:

Tough, nearly flat-proof, long wearing

Stiff, noisy, all-black, can't be repaired

I have to agree with the previous review. Additionally, I would point out that you can NOT repair these tires, should the sealant not work. Once you put the sealant in, do NOT try to bleed pressure off through the valve! Your valve should be considered 1-way once sealant is added.
The retailer (world class cycles) is probably the only decent outlet for Tufo in this country, and can be difficult to deal with.
I have run these tires over all kinds of cr@p; glass, metal, you name it, and have yet to flat, or even nick the tread. With about 1000 miles on the set, they barely even show any wear. My sprinters ($55/each) were worn-out by then!
The hard tread does sound truck-like, and the pattern is so shallow, as to be nearly non-existant. These are not good tires for wet, oily road surfaces. These are NOT racing tires, either. Tufo makes other tires for that.
All together, these are the best tubulars for the money, and even if one blows tomorrow, I'll still be happy. The way things are going, it looks like they will last 3000 miles.