Tufo Special Jet / Jet 26 Tires - Clincher

Tufo Special Jet / Jet 26 Tires - Clincher

Tubular and tubular clincher tire looked for by triathlon, time trial and road racers. Narrow tire profile and smooth "lentil" shaped tire tread crown guarantee minimal rolling resistance. High mileage, very good puncture resistance and excellent traction on wet or dry pavement. 305 TPI underneath the tread.

[May 26, 2017]
Mark Drake

Strength:

Durability, Very High Pressure, Great Ride and downhill speed.

I ride a handcycle and ride on three 650c Tufo's. At first a tough to install. But figured a way to make it easy. I carry a used Tufo as a spare, because I can replace the tire easily. In almost five years I have never had a flat. I lacerated a tire on glass a half a block from home. I wasn't even up to speed when it happened. I have Tufos on both my Handcycle's and my wife's 700c bicycle wheels. I have been riding for over forty years and ridden thousands of miles on every type and style of tires. Tufo is hands down the best tire I have ever ridden.

The best tires I have ever ridden!

Clinchers and tubulars of many different brands

[Jun 23, 2006]
BianchiJock

Strength:

Better cornering, smoother ride, lower rolling resistance, feeling of more confidence.

None discovered yet.

I always wanted to try tubulars but wasn't about to invest in wheels just to find out. I bought this set on eBay, consisting of the 19mm C Jet Special for the front and a 21mm Giro TWIX for the rear.

I was skeptical of the narrower profiles, but the price was right. I wasn't disappointed! I'm 195lbs. and I finally settled on 120lbs. in front and 140lbs. in the rear. These tires sing!

They seem to dive into the corners and grab like cats' paws. They absorb road vibration and bumps better than the Vredesteins I had grown to love. They accelerate noticably easier, especially up hill, and they don't seem to want to decelerate the moment I relax my cadence.

I had no trouble mounting them on my Shamals without tools or soap etc. They seem a perfect match for the Shamals, and it may be my imagination, but I'll swear I can tell a difference in aerodynamics going down a steep hill, owing to the 19mm width matching the rim width perfectly.

I'll definately buy these again when they wear out in about 3,000 miles.

[Jun 26, 2004]
buzlevin

Strength:

EASE of installation (even though another reviewer had some issues), pressure, speed and feel of the road. also the sealing properties of the white stuff that I got from Tufo to prevent leaks

non at the moment - let's see the wear

Love the high pressure of the old glue ons and love the 'leave behind' of the hard to get off (glued) old holed tires. Love the ease of using the new clinchers sewups as well as the new tape glued clinchers - all with 220 psi speed and ride.

non like this on the market

[Jun 17, 2002]
Hogie

Strength:

Look good on paper and on bike. Ride well and smooth.

Terrible wear, week side wall, blowout at 100 miles.

Thought I was buting the best. Recommended by ZIPP which is my ride. They look great on paper but after only a couple of sprint tri's I could see cracking and seperating on the rubber. Just did first race of new season was going well 9.5 miles into a 12.5mi.bike them POP pssst. Blowout of sidewall. Limped the bike in and did the run anyway. I've raced tubulars for over 10 years and never flatted 100+ races. I fill up to 130-140 psi so that wasn't and issue and the road was smooth. These tires suck for the price.

Vittoria and continental tubaulars. Going back to Vittoria.

[Jan 07, 2002]
tristeve

Strength:

Less prone to flats (I assume), at least pinch flats. Very high max psi for a "clincher"

An absolute bear to mount when new, much harder than a "normal" clincher or tubular. Make sure you leave your spares on a wheel for a while to stretch them out or you''ll be cursing on the side of the road. If you do get a flat, more expensive to replace than an inner tube.

I was a little apprehensive about these at first, having never heard of a ''tubular/clincher''. I didn''t feel a whole lot better when it took the guy at the bike shop and me 15-20 minutes of sweating and cursing to get it mounted. Once it''s on the rim, it''s a great tire. Rides fine and permits max psi that a clincher couldn''t handle.

Continental clinchers Hutchinson Chronos clinchers