Veloflex Black Tire Tires - Clincher

• 700x22C
  • Weight: 190g
  • Max Pressure 145 psi

Kenneth C   Recreational Rider [Feb 17, 2012]
Strength:

Rolling performance, cornering, confidence inspiring, durability

Susceptible to cuts

I purchased the Corsa's based on the recommendations posted in this thread and I couldn't be more pleased with following the consensus of the users of roadbikereview. Initially, I was concerned after a couple consecutive flats but since that time (July 2011) the tires have been simply excellent. My bike rolls better than any bike when the downhills come and cornering is fast, controlled and confidence inspiring. I'm over two hundred pounds on a Cannondale CAAD8 with Mavic Ksyrium Elites running around 100 psi and I've been extremely satisfied. Wear performance is as others have described, susceptible to cuts but it keeps going. I've accumulated more than 2000 miles in 7-months. I've limited tire experience but these are the best tires I've ever owned.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson Speed Kevlar
mavop   Recreational Rider [Jan 18, 2012]
Strength:

Fast,light and beautiful Italian style.

Can be a little hard to mount on some types of rims.

Great road feel. Very comfortable and responsive. Best road clincher I've ridden.

This tire is not for every day use but more for racing or special rides. Any of the tires with the same specs will cut and wear faster than most tires. Compare apples to apples

Similar Products Used: Vittoria,Michelin,Conti,ect.
Jeff   Triathlete [Jan 09, 2012]
Strength:

Tread holds very well, even on wet roads. They are easy to get on and off and can withstand higher pressures than most clenchers. Very resistant to gravel and other road debris.

seems like sidewalls wear faster than tread.

Very impressed with these tires. When I first got them I inflated them to 10 bar and took them for a test ride, hit a piece of glass and tore a huge chunk out of the tread on the rear tire. 2 and a half years and 1500 miles later the hole finally wore through. Up until then, 0 flats.

Similar Products Used: continental, bontrager, maxxis
tripley   Recreational Rider [Dec 28, 2011]
Strength:

Very good traction in dry weather and good in wet weather, puncture resistant and long wearing for a racing tire.

The sidewalls are easily damaged and they do not wear as well as some of the less aggresive tires I've tried. They are a racing tire what do you expect?

A durable racing tire. I've had a hot love for Open Corsa's but like a bad girlfriend they've left me stuck out on the road (It's a whole other review). The Veloflex tires just keep going. They're a little bit slower than the Corsa's in the turns but they still inspire confidence. The ride is not quite up to the Corsa's, but dang good. I have had good luck with the Velos avoiding flats and they wear well for a racing tire. I'm giving up the hot love and marrying the reliable Veloflex.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Open Corsa CX, Vittoria Diamente, Verdestein Fortenzza, Michelin Pro 2
STEVE WARDLAW   Recreational Rider [Aug 24, 2011]
Strength:

weight, ride, comfort.

wears fast!!! But after riding them I can't go back to lesser tires.

great rode feel. very fast and thet soak up the rough stuff. corners better than any tire I've ridden.

Similar Products Used: conti 4000, vittoria
kanekikapu   Road Racer [Apr 27, 2011]
Strength:

very comfortable, fast, good grip, just wide enough

none i can think of.

Probably one of the most comfortable clinchers i've tried so far. supple casing and good rubber. pump them to 100psi and it's like bread and butter. Had these on my race/weekend set and didn't get a flat after 7-8 months of usage - to be fair the center was pretty worn down then. so it's not the tires fault.

Similar Products Used: michelin PR/PR2, Maxxis columbiere, hutchinson fusion comp, michelin axial comp
djbrow   Recreational Rider [Dec 28, 2009]
Strength:

Comfortable, easy to mount, roll easily

Nothing too drastic - suffers from cuts easily (to be expected from a 300tpi tyre)

Very nice tyre to ride on. Used these to replace a set of Conti GP400 S. Feels much smoother to roll on, handles all sorts of road conditions. A couple of flats over 1000kms. Easy enough to mount on a set of Ksyrium Elites.Overall, a good set of tyres - good enough to race on or train on.

Similar Products Used: Conti GP400s. Michelin Lithions. Maxxis Hors Categorie.
johnshe   Recreational Rider [Jul 12, 2009]
Strength:

Beautifully made. Exceptional road damping. Good rolling resistance. High thread count. Good looking, very simple graphic on the tire.

Unlike some other reviewers, I was able to 100% hand mount these tires on my Velocity Fusion rims. I'm a pretty small guy (135 lbs) without a lot of upper body strengh. It wasn't easy and I think I pushed the finger prints right off my thumbs, but I did it. Honestly, I think it makes a big difference who makes your rims as to how difficult it will be to mount the tires. I did liberally coat all surfaces with talc, including the rim tape, the inside of the tires and the outside of the rim itself. Amazingly enough I didn't do the traditional guy thing and do the massive talc job in the living room, I actually went outside:) By the way, I didn't have traditional talc sitting around. I grabbed some Gold Bond Medicated power (mostly talc) and used that.

Riding these tires was just bizarre to say the least. Bizarre in a good, unbelievable way. I still can't believe that a tire can behave like a shock absorber. I replaced a set of Bontrager Race X Lite tires with these Veloflex Black (Pave) tires. The Bontragers worked out just great for me with over 2000 miles before I had to replace the set, so I have nothing bad to say about the Bontragers. On the other hand, these Veloflex tires are some other kind of animal. How in heck can a tire cushion like these do? I just finished a 80+ extreme climbing ride with the new Veloflex tires. Two weeks prior I did the same ride with my trusty Bontrager set. Huge difference in ride comfort. Both sets were inflated to the exact same pressure. Both sets were 700 x 23c. Same bike, same rider. Riding on the Veloflex tires was like someone just invented a full suspension road bike. That's not to say when you hit a bump full on that it doesn't still drive the seat straight up into the family jewels. These tires almost seem to be alive with the way they respond to small vibrations. Veloflex says they use a Natural Rubber exclusive compound. I say it's magic. Another difference I noticed in the specs of the Veloflex tires is their extremely high TPI (Threads Per Inch) count. 300 TPI on the Veloflex versus 120 TPI for the Bontragers. The high thread count must make this a much more supple and flexible tire. Also, the inflation limits are significant different. 145 lbs per square inch versus 120.

I replaced both my tires and inner tubes (michelin air stop tubes) at the same time. WCC had a deal that included free shipping and innertubes for the price I paid for the tires.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race X Lite tires.
Bertrand   Recreational Rider [Apr 24, 2009]
Strength:

Best riding tire ever

None that I can see

I love these tires. They grip well, seem fast, and provide better cushioning than any other tire I've tried. To my mind, similar in feel to ProRace 2, but better all the way round. Are they durable? I don't know yet, with only 1,000 km on them, but I won't mind the price if I can get 3,000 to 4,000 km on them