Vittoria Crosa G+ Tires - Clincher

• The world’s best tire
  • 4 compounds for best speed, grip, durability and puncture protection
  • Kevlar®** reinforced Corespun K for increased sidewall protection

MercRidnMike   Recreational Rider [Jun 27, 2017]
Strength:

- Sublime road feel, especially with latex tubes
- Fast rolling
- Natural sidewalls (old school) or anthracene colored (stealth)
- Improved puncture protection and wear resistance

- Price (these aren't cheap, shop around for sure)
- Weight (but only if you're a weenie...they aren't bad, but there are lighter tires out there in the high performance market)
- Limited color options

In changing up the wheels on the Cervelo this year, I also ordered up some new rubber, the Vittoria Corsa G+ Isoflex. I'll preface this by letting you know that I was able to do some riding on my Conti GP4000S and Schwalbe Ones on the same wheels before dropping the Vittorias on the bike. I'm a latex tube convert for the ride feel...I like to be able to feel what's going on where the rubber meets the road.

Vittorias have had a long history of having some of the best road feel in their bike tires. They've also been known to be somewhat fragile, prone to early wear and flats. Having now done rides on three different sets of performance tires, I better understand the differences.

With latex tubes, the Vittorias are fantastic for road feel. That have a sublime ride quality that I'm not quite sure how to describe....you feel everything, but it's not like it beats you up. They also let you know exactly where you are in your traction....you can feel when they start to get to their limits.

They are a very quick rolling tire and I'm not noticing any speed drop between them or the Contis (slight tread) or Ones (no tread). The Vittorias can pick up a bit of fine road grit in the tread, but it's minor and more an issue if you've got leftover sand on the roads in the spring.

Wear to date has been pretty good. They don't seem to take as much of a beating as the Ones did, but I'll need to ride them longer to see how they compare to the Contis (which don't have as much road feel, but seemed to last a good long time for a performance tire).

If you're a weight weenie, you're going to suffer with them being 40g heavier than the Contis...I personally think the weight is worth the ride quality and you're not sacrificing any speed. On my wider wheels, they corner phenomenally and predictably.

I think the biggest drawback is the price. The best local price I have found is about $90 Cdn each (at MEC)...about $10 more than the Conti GP4000SII's. The local bike shops add another $15-20 to those prices and I understand that the Vittoria prices are going up even more (one LBS has dropped them as the Corsa G+ was looking like it would be a $120 tire!).

Also, if you're all about the bike, the natural sidewalls look great on carbon rims....very old school look. I personally went with the anthracene version as I run alu rims...you can still tell they are grey, but I wanted the more "conventional" look of the darker sidewall. Vittoria doesn't do the array of "match the bike" colors like other manufacturers (possible drawback, but I'd rather have a great tire in a natural or black than a poor tire that is colorful).

If you want the Corsas, shop around...they are a better value if you find them on sale (I did, hence the 4 for value...I'd only give them a 2 or 3 for value if I paid full retail...the $90 Cdn in the details was for a PAIR, which made them a great value). As for performance, pair them with a light/race butyl tube or, better yet, a latex tube and they are mind blowing.