Vittoria Zaffiro Tires - Clincher

Vittoria Zaffiro Tires - Clincher

The Zaffiro is an affordable training tire that delivers many high-end features. It contains Vittoria's Dot C.O.M. dot Computer Optimized Measure concept which allows for calibration of the size of the tread dots according to their position on the tr

[Dec 17, 2012]
Greg Boyd

Strength:

Cheap, good grip, corner well. Predictable

Puncture very easily. Have a little over 1000 miles on them and have had numerous flats from small thorns and shards of glass. Rear tire already has a whole from some small sharp pebble I rolled over. When they are not flat they are wonderful, that being said, they do not inspire confidence or peace of mind.

Great tire for training on smooth and well maintained roads. Cheap cost not worth the headache of fixing flats.

[Nov 07, 2012]
christ

Strength:

Cheap as hell, good durability, awesome grip in wet, still pretty solid dry (very predictable in hard cornering). Wide range of tire pressures to experiment with (runs 100-145psi).

Somewhat sluggish roll speed, but hell it's not a race tire.

As a fixed gear rider, this is quite simply one of the best value-to-performance riding tires out there. For such a low price you get a tire that wears pretty decently, skids very smooth and predictably, and still grips well afterwards. I would also add that the tire remains more round than most tires after countless skids. Rode a set all season, and given that I've taken both tires to bare threads without any puctures, I'd also say they've been very durable.

CST Comps, Conti Gatorskinz, Soma Everwears, Michelin Lithions

[Sep 10, 2012]
Matt

Strength:

- Cheap
- Roll Well

- Punctures
- Durability
- Wet-weather grip

I've just hit 1000 miles on the Zaffiros with many punctures both front and back. The soft rubber compound allows an alarming amount of small stones and glass to cut through and there isn't much stopping them from getting to the inner tube. After 1000 miles, there are many holes and cuts in the tires, and the back tire needs replacing already because I can see the inner tube bulging through a hole.

Cheap, but perhaps something slighter better may save money in the long run. I certainly don't want to be replacing training tires every 1000 miles and fixing punctures every 200.

[Mar 27, 2011]
Vipul

Strength:

Durable, easy to mount, cheap & affordable

Limited color choices

I've had these tyres for about 7 months now and these have been fantastic so far. Not a single flat and have done 5000km on them. That's right! Not a single flat, even I am amazed. I had Continental Ultra sport tyres before these and they didn't last as long as these did.
The Zaffiro's are still going strong and am amazed by the grip in the wet. I've been in some heavy rain and was concerned about taking corners but turns out these do provide reasonable grip in the wet.
They're easy to mount, durable and are pretty strong.

Continental ultra sport

[Jan 21, 2011]
sigmabannysigma

Strength:

Decent comfort.

Easy to mount.

Good grip.

Long wearing but not as much as the originals.

They're NOT tough - just average punture resistance.

Not as puncture resistant as the original Zaffiro 26 TPI folding bead.

Could be a little cheaper. The price increased but the puncture resistance dropped a lot. The slight improvement in comfort is NOT enough to justify the cost.

Almost 3 thousand miles (I rotate about every 600 miles). One puncture flat early and now I use tuffy liners.. no flat since then... These Zaffiro Pro 2's (60 TPI)are NOT as puncture resistant as the original Zaffiro (26 TPI) folding bead, however they are a little more smooth. They're basically a watered down and less expensive version of Rubino Pro 2's.
I do not notice any more improvement in speed or grip with the Zaffiro Pro 2's over the original Zaffiro's. I only notice they are a little more comfortable but LESS puncture resistant. They're just another tire with AVERAGE puncture resistance like the many other tires on the market.
They are easy to mount like the originals. The prices on Zaffiro Pro 2's went up in price but Michelin Lithion 2's (another decent trainer) might be a little cheaper.

From looking at the tires, it seems I can get at least another 3 thousand miles on both tires as I continue to rotate them.

The original Zaffiro folding bead was the best training, long wearing and puncture resistant tire for the money(and perhaps ANY money). It's a shame they are no longer offered. Leave it up to a corporation to ruin something that was already perfected for its intended purpose.

Read my previous review on the original Zaffiro's in the Zaffiro Pro Folding review.

Too many to list.

[Oct 21, 2010]
six3jag

Strength:

cheap, somewhat fast, strong at first.

Wore out too soon

I rode on these tires for a little less than two years. Mostly commuting and reasonable well paved streets. I have probably put 1500 miles on these tires. The tread is still in great condition, but they have started cracking and I noticed the tube is starting to bubble out of the tire in a small area. Given the condition of the tread I would say these tires have worn out prematurely. Other than that they have been nice with low rolling resistance.

I have used many other brands of low priced (<$50) tires.

[Aug 10, 2010]
Tortoise man

Strength:

Long lasting. flat proof

Havy. No greap on dry and wet!

I have ride this tire for a 1600km (1000mile). this tire r havy. and have a very bad greap in wet and DRY road!!!!
it is scare to take corners on this tire!

The good thing is it is flat proof, and look like it going to last for years. but...you can slip on corners on dry road!!!

JUST DONT BUY IT!

[Mar 16, 2010]
S Myers

Strength:

Puncture proof; cost performance very high

Heavy;

These tires have been pretty much puncture proof for me, although I'm riding fairly clean roads. My only concern is with the wire bead, it has sometimes popped out on me. Fortunately never on descents!! Not sure if I mounted them improperly in these cases, but that's what I'm guessing.

other vittoria, michelin,

[Sep 10, 2009]
m_jcwhite

Strength:

Cheap, grip reasonably well, roll about how you would expect for cheap wire bead tyres, look pretty tough. Probably fine for commuters on a budget.

Lets face it, at this price point they are never going to be as light or fast as more expensive tyres.

These tyres & tubes came free with a set of Pro-Lite Stelvio wheels. Unfortunately they are so heavy the offset any advantage of the light wheels, so I quickly swapped them for the old Conti GP4000 off the old wheels. Not a fair comparison I know but there was nearly 400g difference in a pair of tyres & tubes. Good tyres are one of the cheapest upgrades you can give your bike. These tyres are probably fair value for money, but I think I would rather spend a bit more and get faster, lighter tyres.

[Jun 30, 2009]
jpmftr

Strength:

It's a pretty decent all around tire for dirt cheap

softer than some
heavier than many
rear wore square, but got my butt back in shape

Excellent performance for a $15 tire
Good grip
1 flat in 1.5 years ~ 1500 miles
rear tire worn pretty square in 1200-1300 miles but i was way up to 205-210 lbs at the time.
I still have the front tire, just to keep on hand as an emergency spare.