Vredestein Campo Tire Tires - Clincher

Campo Tire

Vredestein Campo 700x32 Cyclocross Tire Natural. An excellent CX Tire for commuter or Competition use, the Campo was Vredestien's premier handmade CX Tire. Fast-rolling with a unique tread pattern, the Campo is still a great contender for anyone looking t

Matt   Commuter [Aug 02, 2007]
Strength:

Incredible flat resistance. Superb handling in all conditions. 700x28 clincher sizing.

They are no longer in production. They have been replaced by the wider Premiato, which at 700x30 is still one of the narrowest Cross clincher tires on the market.

Now out of production, the Campo (came in 28 and 32 sizes) was a great old-school cyclocross tire (and has now been replaced by the wider 700x30/34 Premiato). With its narrower width, the campo was a traditional cyclocross tire reminding us that Cyclocross was invented by roadies. When I bought these from Nashbar they were filed under the Road tire category rather than the cross tire category. It is one of the best all-around tires that I have ever used. It has performed well for me in the snow, ice (!), sleet, rain, sun and mud. My commute includes stream crossings, mud, sand, beaten up pavement and road - the campos took the abuse of all of it and went over 2000 miles without a single flat. They handle well in corners and are the most reliable tire I have ever used. Since these are technically 'Cross tires, the tread wears down very quickly if you use these for commuting as well as cyclocross. They are also fairly quick for a cross tire. A great tire all the way around.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey speedmax, Continental Gator skins, specialized roubaix
cliff   Road Racer [May 10, 2005]
Strength:

Excellent all around CX tire. Supple casing for good feel and handling. Excellent tread and durability.

Could be about 50 grams lighter (as someone else posted), though this might sacrafice the durability and milage.

I'm using the 32C version and this tire feels fast despite it's weight. It has a supple feel similar to TUFO T-C Elites, but with more sidewall durability and a better tread IMHO. This is a great all around CX tire though it is outperformed in real mud by the Ritchy Excavader and/or the Michelin Mud, which both feel slower overall. The durability of the Campo is excellent with good tread milage and puncture resistence. I've only punctured this once: a pinch flat when I hit a buried rock on a fast descent while training. It runs loose conditions well at about 50 psi, and hardpack at 70. I've even done a road ride with this tire at max 110 PSI and it feels like a heavy road tire with only a slight buzz.

Similar Products Used: Michelin Jet, Mud; Ritchey Excavader, Speedmax; Panaracer Crossblaster; TUFO T/C Elite, T/C D-28; Conti Country grip
piddl   Triathlete [Oct 22, 2004]
Strength:

Conforms to the ground; great all-round cyclocross tire. Tire is the best cyclocross clincher I've used.

None discovered.

Immediately noticed the very supple casing which allowed me to run a higher pressure without compromising traction.

Similar Products Used: Hutchinson, Ritchey, Specialized
AJS   Recreational Rider [Apr 14, 2004]
Strength:

-They measure their actual stated width of 28 and 32 millimeters, imagine that! Unlike some other brands that are either narrower or wider than specced so you never know what real width you're getting.

-None. But when the tread is nearly worn out the sidewall threads start to fray a bit. By then you need a new set anyway!

This is One Great Tire. I use both the 28 and 32 sizes. I can run them at or over 100 psi on pavement and they act like regular road tires except for a low tread whine at higher speed, but it's not annoying. They hang in the turns well even with the side knobs, and they feel good enough to be sew-up's. By the same token, they can be down to low pressures off-road and the grip is fantastic with no pinchers. In fact, I've worn out both pair over the past year and I'm now on my 3rd & 4th pair, and I've yet to have a puncture flat or pinch flat. I'm dead serious- not one flat on any surface. Sure, some of that's luck, but I'd say most is due to the tires. The Campos do nothing wrong in my book. I am completely happy with them.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey, Michelin, Vittoria, Panaracer, Kenda, Geax
bbagdan   Road Racer [Sep 12, 2003]
Strength:

supple casing, low rolling resistance, great traction, high quality but cheaper than most cross tires

a bit heavy

nice compound, grip, ride, and rolling resistance, but could be about 50g lighter to be great.

Similar Products Used: ritchey
Art S   Recreational Rider [Mar 27, 2003]
Strength:

~ Off-road grip. ~ Light for a 'cross tire. ~ Take a beating and still hold up.

None, considering their intended use.

The Campo's are very excellent tires - I'm surprised there aren't more reviews on them here. Vred's are from 'Yurp, so maybe not that easy to find in the US(?) I have the 700x28c size (folding). Each tire in this pair weighed out to exactly 332 gm. on my digital postal scale. I'd say that's "truth in advertising", because Vredestein's website gives their weight as 320 gm. That's less than 4% variation from the target weight, so I give Vred high marks for consistancy in manufacture. I gotta say, those "crazy Dutchmen" really know how to make a cyclo-X tire! These suckers grip well in the dirt & mud, as well as can be expected for a tire that resembles a semi-slick MTB tire. And on the road, they're surprisingly smooth and responsive. I originally bought the Campo's for my Litespeed Tuscany, but they just barely fit in the seat stay yoke, and I had to run them with less p.s.i. to get them to mount. But I've sold that bike, and picked up a C'Dale Road Warrior 800 which is basically a 'cross bike, and has plenty of room for 'cross-type tires. The RW 800 came stock with folding Continental Top Tour 2000 700x28's, but were quickly replaced with the Campo's. What a difference in weight/acceleration! The Conti's feel much heavier, and don't grab as well on the trail as the Campo's. However, the Conti's run a bit smoother & quieter on the road, as expected. But what about flats and durability? No flats or sidewall problems in the 1 1/2 years I've used this pair, not one, and that's going over just about every type of terrain there is, with nasty road conditions as well. I don't know how many miles it's been, but I'd say over 2000, and these are due for replacement soon. Personally, as long as I'm getting the traction and response I need, I'm not concerned about tire wear. Besides, how often do you replace bike tires from wearing out the tread - once a year, tops? The only other 'cross tire I've used that beats the Campo in the sloppy mud is the Geax Cross Blade, Michelin Cyclocross Mud, and possibly the Ritchey Excavader 700. But then those are fairly squirmy on the road. If you're looking for an excellent 'cross tire for everything but deep mud conditions, get these! They also make a decent touring/commuter tire because of their relative light-weight, great handling, and good durability.

Similar Products Used: Conti Top Tour 2000, Geax Cross Blade, Michelin Cyclocross Mud & Sprint, Ritchey Excavader 700, Vittoria Master & Tigre, other's.