Vredestein Fortezza SE Tires - Clincher

Fortezza SE

For competition and all around use on dry roads, Vredestein's Fortezza DuoComp clincher is a great choice. It balances weight, durability, ride...

philipaparker   Recreational Rider [Feb 13, 2011]
Strength:

Good wear, cornering and grip on dry pavement.

Skid and lose their grip on wet payment.

Bought these tires after reading the reviews here and they didn't disappoint. They are black with blue sidewalls and match my bike. Two things pretty flat resistant, I ride and San Francisco and there's lots of glass and road debris and I haven't had a flat yet, vs having a flat everytime I rode with the stock tires that came on my Trek Madone. The tires are a little hard and they tend to skid a little on wet payment, but hold well and corner really well on dry pavement. Overall I have been pleased with the purchase.

Similar Products Used: Continental gatorskin, very good similar ride.
Bontrager Race Lite, flats easily, smoother ride.
Bobshere   Recreational Rider [Oct 14, 2010]

I've been using Fortezza SE tires for a number of years. They are way cheaper (I've gotten them for as little as $18 on sale with a team discount in quantity) than the Michelin Axial Pro's I had used in the past and last much longer. As the front tire hardly wears I don't rotate. I do keep an eye on the front tire. If it "squared off" or is on the bike for way long (15,000+ miles or five years, etc.) I'd take it off and use it as a rear tire. You want a good reliable tire on the front for safety. As for rear tires, I have used 3 indicators: a) if I start getting lots of flats ("Three in a row and out" is an old maxim) I'll ditch a worn looking tire even if it otherwise looks like I could get a few more miles out of it; b) if I see casing showing I replace it immediately; c) if the tread is squared off rather than rounded I'll often get rid of it. This is because I don't want to try getting the last mile out of a tire and chance a long walk. Also, I find that a nice new tire rides so much nicer than a squared off tire at the end of its life that I'm willing to let it go before fabric shows. Using this system I get 2,500 - 3,000 miles on these tires (I don't ride in the rain and don't skid stop), probably more like 4,000 if you figure in mileage/wear on both front and rear tires.

Bob

Jason1500   Recreational Rider [Aug 01, 2010]
Strength:

At least 1000miles and no flats!!

none from my perspective

This is my second season riding these tires and I couldn't be happier. Previously I've had Bontrager selects which flatted on my very first ride and then Bontrager Race lite tires which also was puncture prone. I have probably about 1000miles on these tires and never gotten a flat yet!! My experience as far as tire characteristics are very limited all I can say about that is they feel faster then the two bontrager tires I mentioned and I feel comfortable putting them on edge around a corner.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Select
Bontrager Race lite
dmar836   Recreational Rider [Apr 24, 2010]
Strength:

Cheap

spongy sidewall

I do over 3000 miles a yr and typically on Conti Attack/Force. Rear was worn so I put this on. It was as new set in black from a "collector" bike I had bought. I used only the rear tire and it was the mushiest ride I have ever felt. I kept looking to see if my frame was broken or if the rear was flat. It wallowed and I could hardly track at over 25 mph. Scary. I hope they are better perhaps on stronger wheels as they appear to be a nice compromise. Also, being black, maybe they are an older version.

Similar Products Used: Panaracers, Conti GP Attack/Force, and a multitude of others on my vintage bikes.
Double D   Recreational Rider [Aug 07, 2009]
Strength:

wear & tear
puncture resistance
rolling resistance
color options

thinking this tire was one-dimensional. It is not.

I bought these tires as a racing tire years ago. With commitments and (relative <40) old age, they have become mostly commuting tires. Overall I have been extremely impressed with their sensitivity and resilience. For example, I've ridden on a pair for over almost year, daily commuting and training in DC. Glass, random metal, and terrible roads are standard here - not to mention the almost routine dual-break layout to avoid idiot pedestrians.

I've had only one flat - replaced the tube and its given me a couple more months of service (so far).

It (and its parent) raced well, now it is a great and fast commuter. Overall, very high marks.

Similar Products Used: Continental GP3000
Jonathan   Road Racer [Aug 07, 2009]
Strength:

Affordable, good rollers, lots of different colors, high PSI rating, easy to mount on most rims, Kevlar underneath main surface keeps flats to a near minimum

Does not do well with hard breaking, colored versions lose "pop" very quickly.

The tires are good for keeping flats to a minimum and allowing for good rolling on terrain that may not be the best i.e. trails with holes, divets, and random root growth through the paths. However, never, I repeat NEVER brake hard with these tires; everytime I have had to, the tire will lose a large chunk, luckily the Kevlar underneath will prevent a flat, at least until you get to your car or the end of your ride

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Diamante, Vittoria Open Corso Ex, Hucthison Comp, Vittoria Rubino
mac14   Recreational Rider [Jun 19, 2009]
Strength:

light
well priced
fast
psi

little on the thick side

i just got these tires to replace my stock bontregor selects. they have a very high psi and are nice and light. they are great tires for the price, good for racing, recreational, commuter.

Similar Products Used: bontregor selects
conipto   Road Racer [Mar 24, 2009]
Strength:

160 PSI (I ran about 125) is more than most rims can take, no pinch flats in a year despite chicago potholes. Very few flats, perform well in all conditions (including chicago winter).

Only come in blue? My red road bike looks like superman's outfit now.

Bought these because they were cheap and (shame) matched my blue bike. In the year I've ridden them, about 2000 miles or so, they've performed very well. To say they are a value is an understatement. I rode these every day on my commuter for about 6 months, then realized they were doing better than my GP4000's and moved them to my nice bike. Very few flats considering the punishment I put them through on a daily basis on chicago streets.

Similar Products Used: Conti GP 4000, Conti Attack/Force, Vredestein Fortezza TriComp, Specialized Armadillo elite
depp   Recreational Rider [Dec 27, 2008]
Strength:

$25.00 at Performance and this tire comes in the beautiful performance blue, which really adds to the aesthetics of your race machine.

They will unseat at high pressures dont inflate past 110 or 120 max.

These tires are surprisingly durable, fast and grip quite well. They have a 160 psi rating which is more than most rims can handle. These babies are hand made in the Netherlands and have a beautiful blue aesthetic, they appear to last quite well and are not Chinese junk.