Duro Ellie Mae XC Tires - Cyclocross Clinchers

Ellie Mae XC

The Ellie Mae offers a file tread pattern for better speed on the road and dryer surfaces while the side knobs will bite when traction is needed. A great foldable beaded tire for all conditions. 700x35 Foldable Bead...

dubdryver   [Dec 13, 2014]
Strength:

Light, fast rolling, cornering confidence, and inexpensive

Thin sidewalls, but all fairness they're in the thin/light cylocross race tire class.

I believe this tire is a very underrated unknown tire!
They are light (around 380g) folding bead, a hybrid tread profile of file with edge knobbies for hard cornering.
The edge knobbies are not pronounced or the tire shape is right so that when you do lean the bike over on corners, you don't make significant contact with the knobbies and scrubs your speed.
I can say that there is solid straight-line grip, and cornering grip even in loose-over-hard singletrack and on gravel.

I have them rolling on my Specialized TriCross Expert with the newer wider tubeless ROL D'Huez wheelset.
My first rear Ellie Mae took a slash from a broken off sign post in the ground that I didn't see going around a curb.
I found that to be no fault of the tire as I've been riding it on various terrian (XC singletrack, gravel, shallow grass and dirt) with absolutely no problems. So the second one I received, I thought I would try it tubeless...and it works fine. If I don't ride the bike in a while, it looses air and I have to reinflate, but no problems. I have not tested these in significant mud, but there aren't a lot of solid contenders out there with a file tread patter that accel in the significant mud.. but glumpy mud patches then gravel after and they cleaned out perfectly....but no deep CX race mud!

For $25, a 380g folding fast race CX tire with a solid tread profile and good cornering support is pretty hard to come by.
If you want to throw it against something as a comparison, try the Clement LAS, Clement Nail-File, or the Continental Cyclocross Speed Folding, but in all reality kind of has characteristics of all three (the good kind).