Continental Competition GP Tires - Tubular

Continental Competition GP Tires - Tubular

Insiders already know it. In 2005 the professional riders of T-Mobile, Saunier Duval, Phonak and...

[Feb 21, 2010]
Dan Hill

Strength:

Reliable, tough, straight tread, take high pressures, and roll well.

Very hard to mount! I put 10-12 srewdrivers, allen wrenches, etc. between a rim and the tire, pump the tires to 150psi, and wait a week. They're still not easy to get on a glued rim.

This review is for all the Conti Competitions. The older models with two nylon anti-puncture belts were very tough, but the ride was not soft like w/ Vittorias. Never really flatted one, tho one got a slow leak after 3+ yr.s and another came w/ a very slow leak (fixed w/ a little latex sealant.) The newer ones with a single Vectran belt are also reliable and ride better- haven't flatted a Vectran model after 2+ yr.s racing on them. Confident enough in their durability that I use them in weekly training races plus all my races.

Clement Criteriums (I'm dating myself), Vittoria EVO Kx's, and others not worth mentioning (training-level tubulars; not worth the trouble or money.)

[Sep 11, 2009]
jaybirdy

Strength:

light weight and strong

expensive

I've ridden these tires for several years. They are the best I have come across.

almost all,

[Mar 28, 2009]
007webgod

Strength:

They have chili in them so I guess if you get stranded somewhere you can eat them.

Poor quality control. Tires were not round and made a bump, bump, bump when riding them. Continental customer service is non existent.

Bought a couple Continental Competition 700 x 22 tubulars with Chili. They were taped to Reynolds DV46T with Tufo Extreme tape. First noticed a problem when I tried to ride my rollers. Couldn't do it cause of a bump, bump, bump. They were ok on the road at low speed but anything over 18mph the bump, bump, bump was there again. Forget any kind of fast downhill riding, felt like the tires were square. Upon closer inspection with a truing stand I found the front tire was ok, a couple high spots, but nothing bad. The rear wheel had a couple really bad high spots and a couple spots that went outward horizontally. It wasn't the stem either, it was just a poorly made, out of true, tire. Tried untaping them and remounting them but it was still there. Tried switching tires from front to back but still there. Finally put on some Bontrager Race X Lites and they were perfectly round and felt great to ride. Anyway, tried contacting both PBK and Continental and two weeks later still no response from either of them. I definitely won't be buying anymore Continental products no matter what it is and I won't be buying anymore tubular tires from PBK.

Bontrager Race X Lites, 700 x 22, tubular.

[Sep 22, 2008]
rbt3seveneliumsg

Strength:

Great ride!!! Great traction! Puncture protection with Vectran belt. Black Chili compound may provide better wear and lower rolling resistance along with improved traction.

Expensive, may wear out too quickly for casual riders on a tire budget!

This review is for the Continental Competition with Vectran and Black Chili in 700 x 25c. This tire replaced a set of Conti GP 4000 SR tubulars 700 x 22c mounted with Mastik One glue to a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimates. I swapped these tires out due to a very harsh ride and almost "wheel hop" feel from the GP 4000's. The larger 25c section and the lower pressure I am running( approx. 110-120 psi with 200lb. rider) makes these so much smoother riding and I don't feel as if I am losing anything in relation to aerodynamic drag or rolling resistance. The Mavic Ultimates are very stiff riding wheels, and this larger section tubular makes them ride much more plush. The grip is at least as good as the GP 4000's with Black Chili, and the ride is MUCH better! I don't expect super high mileage with these tires as they are race oriented tires with soft tread and high traction, I have only ridden them 1 month and so far they seem about as durable as my Vittoria Corsa EVO CX tubulars.If you are riding a set of carbon tubulars like LEW, ZIPP, MAVIC, REYNOLDS etc. you definitely should try a slightly larger size tire, 24 or 25mm. I have also heard great reviews of the Veloflex Roubaix in 24c size, and that is going on my other set of wheels as soon as the Vittorias wear out. Ride hard and stay safe!

Conti GP 4000 SR tubular, Vittoria Corsa EVO CX tubulars, Tufo S3 Lite tubulars