Continental Sprinter 250 Tires - Tubular

Continental Sprinter 250 Tires - Tubular

For racing and fast training.

[Jun 06, 2003]
niteschaos

Strength:

Lightest tread/tube combo I've ridden. Very low rolling resistance. CONFIDENCE INSPRIRING IN THE WORST TURNS. I found myself not even using the breaks for some turns and just leaning in harder. These tires took it well!

Hey, they are tubulars and I was afraid to take them on bad roads due to the hassle of repairing a tubular. But that's part of the design, a tradeoff for their low mass.

I wanted a tubular with excellent wet grip, durability, and low rolling resistance in that order. I found that with the Conti Sprinters. Can be found on Ebay for around 35 bucks a peice.

I rode some Vittora Tubulars a few month back and these felt better in the wet.

[Oct 08, 2002]
eronat

Contiental Sprinter 250 went flat without riding. It has unacceptable quality for my unscientific sample size. I had better luck with the cheaper model.

[May 14, 2002]
Rick Williams

Strength:

Good solid long lasting tire

I''ve talked to some people who have had quality control issues.

I''ve been riding Sprinter-250''s for several years now with very good luck. I have never gotten less that 5000 miles on one and my current set has 8000 rear and 4000 miles (front). The tire has excellent traction and holds corners very well even in the rain.

Various over the years

[Apr 18, 2002]
CH

Strength:

Ride quality and durability.

Getting pricey these days.

I have used these tires a lot, and the ride quality is great. Good comfortable ride. Wears well, and a good race tire.

Wolber SP1, Vittoria CG, Clement

[Apr 18, 2002]
Bob

Strength:

No flats

The liner

I have ridden a set of sprinters across Iowa (RAGBRAI) twice and the local MS 150 twice plus all the training. No flats. They do nick and cut but, no flats. I have so many miles on them that the rears are becoming square, but i''ll wait till July & RAGBRAI to mount new ones. Since they are light and reasonably comfortable I''m pleased.

numerous

[Apr 08, 2002]
loverboyd

Strength:

cornering in the rain, tread life

sometimes the price, depending where you buy from

I race a lot and have found tubulars to be better than any clincher out there. Everybody is always claiming their clincher gives almost the ride of a tubular. . .so why not race tubulars?? The sprinters I have found to be the best cornering tire out there. Especially in the rain. When I enter a technical course in the rain I go straight to the front and have the confidence to go full speed. Everybody riding clinchers or other poor quality tires is usually too scared to follow.

lots

[Apr 01, 2002]
jenny1243

Strength:

High pressure, nice shape and ride, fit tight to the rim so less chance of rolling.

None that I can think of, other than the fact that it takes a little more effort to put them on since they fit tight, but who cares.

I have had great luck with these tires. I have ridden about 4-5k on a single pair before electing to replace them due to the tread finally wearing a little thin. I have only once had a flat, and that was after hitting a rock the size of my fist. Love riding the high pressure (rated up to 170!!!!).

Wolber and Vittoria tubulars.

[Dec 06, 2001]
allez01

Strength:

Comes from Conti, a reputable name.

Had cut after first few hours of riding. Went flat after first few days.

I thought I would give tubular wheels a try. after first tire went flat i bought this tire because it was only $50 and was from Conti. But, i was kinda disappointed after it went flat after like 100 miles. I had the pressure up to where it needed to be, guess it was just my bad luck. It was also hard to get on the rim. Oh well, back to clinchers.

Veloflex criterium, Michelin Specialized Continental clinchers

[Oct 16, 2001]
Jameslt

Strength:

Good value for a high-quality tubular.

Plain looking.

This is a nice, lively riding tire that corners well and is durable. I usually get 2-3K miles from a set. It holds air well, and keeps a nice, true shape. It''s not quite as smooth as a cotton casing tire like the Vittoria CX (the smoothest were the old Clement seta extra silk tires) but is still better that any clincher I''ve tried. I''m going to try a set of Conti Comp 22mm for comparison to see if they are worth the extra money.

Vittoria and Clement tubulars, Michelin Axial Pro and Hutchison clinchers

[Jul 02, 2001]
D Alex

Strength:

High Pressure,fairly well made,usually round,grey rubber isn't too strange looking.

expensive,less than great flat protection,soft rubber wears quickly,inconsistant quality,some UGLY colors available.

Decent tyre, but sometimes quality varies. One tyre was lumpier than the cheaper Giro! Considering that they retail at $55 US, this is inexcusable.
These tyres are very high pressure, but the rubber is quite soft and wears quickly. Don't expect more than 600 miles from one. Maybe less if the roads you ride on are rough. Flat protection is no more than adequate.
These tyres go on VERY tight.
They have a removable valve core.
Most versions are in a very garish orange color.
The grey version looks like a tyre which has been oxidizing in the sun for 20 years.
If you get a good one, this is a nice tyre, but you can find better for the same money or less elsewhere. If you order from LaBicicletta, you will get them tax and duty free (if you are in the US), as long as you don't buy too many. They are NOT worth the suggested retail price.
At $55 each, TUFO or Hutchinson would be the better tyres in this price range. At $30 each, they are a marginally better deal.

Vittoria Corsa,Cont Giro,TUFO S33