Continental Sprinter Sew-Up Tires - Tubular

Sprinter Sew-Up

Inheriting the best qualities of the highly popular Ultra GatorSkin road tire, namely the durable carbon black tread mixture, the effective puncture protection breaker layer and the DuraSkin? anti-cut fabric.

chaz   [Jul 01, 2016]
Strength:

Durability

tire hop too frequently

1 out of 10 of these have a hop at the stem that I could not fix, had to replace the tire and use it as a spare....conti sprinters are a "lumpy" tire and do not roll as well as the other top brands

giverdada   Recreational Rider [Apr 05, 2012]
Strength:

relatively cheap, passable flat protection, decent ride quality, nice base tape, grippy cornering

not an Ãœber-flat-proof tire, air loss overnight (even when new), questionable roundness

i got this tire as my first foray into tubular wheels and tires. i heard that gatorskins might ride more harshly, but would provide wicked good flat protection. maybe, maybe not. i don't know. the ride felt sublime regardless, as i had nothing to compare it to other than clinchers. as for flat protection, i'd say nay. not worth it. not much protection. i've been riding crap roads around the city since november, as we didn't have much winter, and the tire held up through most of it. no flats until this spring, a chunk of glass ended the dream. right in the middle of the tread. looking the thing over, it had a few cuts, but nothing that flatted it like this. pit stop didn't seal it; it still has a slow leak. fine for a spare, but i had to replace it. decent tire. fit alright but had a noticeable hop around the valve, maybe from manufacturing, maybe from my novice install. wicked grip and nice enough ride, but i was expecting something more indestructible than this. i ride continental clinchers, along with maxxis re-fuse and bontrager hard case. those are harsher rides, but i've never flatted either, over anything.

Similar Products Used: continental sprinter, yellow jersey servizio corse
mosinglespeeder   Road Racer [Jul 21, 2011]
Strength:

Roll out nice
Light weight
Very true

Constuction must be flawed in some lots

At first, these were some of the best tubulars I have had. I glued them up meticulously, they rolled out beautifully and performed better than I had hoped. These were race day only tires. Then, ~200 miles later, ~6mo later, the front began to crack, and impressively enough I showed a buddy and he said 'your not gonna race that?' and I did. But did have to get rid of them as the back one began doing the same. I called Conti and they want me to take them to the LBS and I hope they will stand by their product, but its expensive and my pay out as cat4 isn't enough to pay for tires every 200miles.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria
Vredestein
jonas   Road Racer [Jun 08, 2011]

Lasts 20 miles - very expensive per foot ridden

Junk tires, my rear blew out after 20 miles on smooth pavement for no apparent reason. Huge cut across entire tire surface. No foam could save that. That was a walking day I guess. Not getting any more of these for sure.

Similar Products Used: Vittorias, Michelins.....
jonjy998   Recreational Rider [Mar 10, 2010]
Strength:

good price
durable
good grip

not the straightest tire when mounted due to cloth seam.

Great tire for the money. I have been riding on these tires for about 5 years. I have never had a flat. I can not honestly say how many miles these tires will last because I switch wheels often. I can say they are very puncture resistant, within reason. They hold air really well. Great training tire.
Not the fastest or lightest tire out there but again for the money they are great.

steel515   Recreational Rider [Sep 22, 2008]
Strength:

good ride, flat resistance

not as good as pricier

Good ride overall. Ride is slightly rougher than others. The flat resistance is better than others. Its good for the price. The cheap models I tried flatted easier. The production quality is good and reliable. Kind of similar to a wide continental grand prix but narrower. I am not sure if this old tire has as good grip is as more modern tires but it holds on various surfaces including sand (bike paths). The profile is slightly different from other tires. I think this tire is a great training tire if you can get a great deal on it.