Veloflex Criterium Tires - Tubular

Criterium

Great tubular for all road race applications. Calicot puncture resistant layer under the tread. Latex inner tube. 300 TPI. 125 PSI Max. BlackTan. 700c x 22mm. 280 grams.

Fannullone   [Jul 21, 2016]
Strength:

- Very comfortable
- Extremely fast
They're as smooth as butter
They're light and durable
They're straight and mount very easily

None so far

Buy @ XXCycles for large discounts. NONE better for the price

roadwarrior57   Road Racer [Oct 28, 2008]
Strength:

smooth rolling
seemingly puncture resistant
go on flawlessly

none yet

Unbelievably smooth riding tires. Truly the best tires I've ever used. They seem to roll by themselves. I admit I don't have a lot of miles on these tires (probably 500) but I can't rave about them more.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Corsa, Tufo Elite Jet
BenR   Road Racer [Sep 30, 2005]
Strength:

suppleness handling true advertised weight straight and easy to mount

PRICE!!! They could be found for $58 until recently, now it looks like $80 minimum. Will probably settle for Conti Sprinters after my stock runs out. butalized latex inner tubes leak air, but not as bad as some - I can be lazy and ride for up to three days without inflating (but I usually only race on them anyway). I'll take this tradeoff for performance.

You get what you pay for and Doug (see first review) isn't lying. I've used 4 different Criteriums and 1 narrower service course, all from various batches with no lemons. I also have 3 others in storage that appear to be perfect. 1.They're straight & easy to glue up 2.They match their advertised weight 3.Suppleness (not the same as squishy)- it's hard to explain, but they're laterally stiff and give great feedback while still being vertically smooth. You can really tell the difference on chipseal. Veloflex clinchers are nice but still not even close, on any wheel. 4. Durability - 1,500 miles on both rears, no flats despite unintentional glass patches. I get the same mileage and fewer punctures (knock on wood)compared to GP3000's or Pro Races. Granted I'm more careful when riding sewups, but racing is a different story. Throw in the cost of a couple latex inner tubes with $40 paves (I flat more often on them) and they are comparable in price (at least at the prices I found). If I could afford it I'd ride them all the time. With current prices and the fact that my racing days are numbered, it's time to look for something more economical.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria Corsa CX (Taiwan vintage) - nice, but not the same. Challenge Criterium (used by Navigators): Good for $35, but despite the high TPI/old Clement hubbub, definitely not worth $70. Heavy for a race tire. Seems like the sew up version was an afterthought. Conti Sprinters and Triathlon - different price point, better value than Veloflex. Comp240 - same level as Veloflex but usually more expensive. Slightly rougher ride (still pretty darn good) but also tough as nails. Rumors of bad QC (lumps, etc.).
don   Recreational Rider [Aug 19, 2003]
Strength:

Pronounced superiority in quality. Smooth ride and predictable handling.

no complaints

After several pairs of lumpy, crooked Conti Comp 24's, I tried veloflex criteriums. They are the highest quality tires I have ever used. They go on extremely straight and are perfectly round with no lumps at the valve or anywhere. The ride is what you expect from sew-ups, smooth, comfortable, fast, safe. I got around 1500 miles out of the rears and the fronts are still good with about 1900. Molto Bene.

Similar Products Used: various Conti's, Vittoria CX(also good), Tufo HICC (close second for quality)
Chris Radders   Road Racer [Jun 24, 2003]
Strength:

- Very smooth - Very comfortable - Extremely fast

- None, apart from the cost of replacing/fixing them when puncturing.

Started using these tyres on a pair of Campag Neutrons about 3 months ago and they are easily the best day-in day-out tubs/tyres I've ever used. Have tried most of the different tyres and tubulars out there and none have matched these yet.

Similar Products Used: Vittoria CX, Pro Road (dual compounds). Continental Giros, Sondeklasses, Tempo etc. None are as good (apart from Veloflex Records which aren't practical for every day use)
Doug Duguay   Road Racer [Feb 13, 2003]

Alright, I'm a little biased because I sell these babies. Here is what I like about the Veloflex. 1 They're made in the old Vittoria Factory by hand. 2 They're as smooth as butter 3 They're straight and mount very easily 4 They're light and durable I have a picture of Davide Rebelin's bike from the classics. His team is sponsored by someone else but you can clearly make out that he is riding Veloflex tires.