Aerospoke 700C clincher wheelsets - clincher

Aerospoke 700C clincher wheelsets - clincher

Composite 700C clincher wheels

[May 03, 2015]
ray h

Strength:

Ive been using aerospokes for 12 yrs.. I had one problem with a wheel warping... It was replaced for 150. They are definitely heavier than a conventional wheel but are more aerodynamic and easier to handle a bike in a cross wind

weight

If you are a heavier rider and want a aero wheel this is your only choice.. all the others only recommend less than 185 lbs for the rider

[Sep 30, 2014]
Houckster

Strength:

Good looking and since rim tape is not required with these rims, mounting and dismounting tires is much easier. When packing up a bike for transport, these wheels take up less space than spoked wheels, Field maintenance and cleaning is much easier. I bought these wheels for reliability rather than speed.

Customer service is absolutely putrid. Calls and e-mails were almost never answered even after promises to call back were made. The rear wheel's freehub would not freewheel due to side loading. There were no instructions to consult and tech support was non-existent. I finally figured out how to fix the problem but customer support definitely is a very bad joke.

When these wheels are right, they are excellent but the overall experience was bad because Aerospoke feels totally OK treating customers like garbage. In fairness, they gave me a good price on the wheelset I bought but thereafter they treated like garbage.

I will be buying a second set of Aerospokes but I'll have to do it through a dealer because they generally respond to dealers better according to what I've heard from the place where I'll buy the second set of wheels and I'll do so because other purveyors of carbon fiber wheels charge obscene prices sometimes exceeding the cost of an Aerospoke wheelset by three times.

[Sep 06, 2014]
Tom

Strength:

Unsure of performance; but the wheels looked nice...

BEWARE... Don't support a business backed by poor customer support and bad practices. They sent me the wrong wheel set and screwed me for return shipping... Jerry assured me he'd send me a return label then when silent. My creditor said there's nothing they could do to force the merchant to provide return shipping and they couldn't help me until I returned the wheels. The creditor said many merchants know this and stall until the creditor dispute window expires. Then you're screwed...
Thanks Jerry. YOU cost me $106 to ship wheels back that you acknowledged should have never been shipped to me in the first place.
CRIMINAL!!!

Nice look, but not worth the risk of dealing with customer support

[Feb 22, 2012]
mark welch

Strength:

looks amazing
most aerodynamic wheel I have ever ridden aside from Hed 3 or spinergy
High power transfer

cracked after 9 days and 220 miles
heavy....real heavy I own a pair of Spinergy Xero lite wheels that weigh as much as just one Aerospoke wheel.
the sealed bearings were slightly rough but understandable considering the wheels price point.

I bought a new track rear fixed/free 700c Aerospoke for 330 dollars. I'm a commuter for the most part I ride twenty miles a day on a fixie Cannondale. It only took 9 days for my Aerospoke to develop a three inch crack near one of the spoke legs on the drive side. I'm still in the process of finding out if Aerospoke or Wheel and Sprocket the bike shop i bought the wheel from is going to cover this but so far it doesn't look good. Every one says Aerospoke offers a lifetime warranty on their wheels but they don't, they charge you just slightly lower than the full amount for a replacement. Before the wheel cracked it was heavy like every one says about Aerospokes. Even with the weight though it performed awesomely. The aerodynamics and sheer levels of power transfer make up for almost all of the heavyness and Aerospokes should be heavy they're cheap and made out of plastic not carbon fiber like many people think. People also comment on how much flex these wheels have but I found that my 32 hole mavic wheels have more lateral flex than than an aerospoke. Going up hills with it was hard but I'm a 220 pound guy so hills are always going to be hard. because the wheel was so much more heavy than my mavic cxp22 front wheel it made it much easier to pop wheelies. Also a not so common fact about these wheels. They come new in the box out of true by at most 0.02 inches. When I found this out I put my new wheel in my truing stand and found it to be slightly more than 0.02 inches. The hub its built with is very nice, powder coated gloss black and very attractive. The sealed cartridge bearings did not spin absolutely true new out of the box but years of buying and building wheels has taught me that's not necessarily a rare quality of new hubs unless its a Mavic or Phil wood. skidding with the wheel was very easy because of the efficient power transfer. All these great qualities aside this supposedly bomb prof wheel cracked in less than two weeks of Milwaukee commuter riding.

Hed 3
H+son
48 hole touring/tandem wheels

[Jun 01, 2009]
BillyJay

Strength:

Strong, replaceable hub, never needs truing

No breeze from the rear wheel when riding stationary resistance trainers.

My first bike was a fuji touring bike that had a suntour hubset. these spoked wheels were built like a tank having 48 spokes on the rear wheel and 40 on the front wheel.

Then I bought a trek 1400 with 32 spoke wheels and as I grew stronger, I found that my wheels needed trueing more and more so I ended up purchasing some mavic rims and Ultegra hubs (32 spoke) and had a custom set of wheel built. Again, with the hills of north eastern NJ I found out that I really stressed the rear wheel all the time and even the custom wheels were getting truing on a regular basis.

Then I bought the Trek 2300, and right off, I upgraded to the Mavic bottom bracket and Crank set. I was amazed at the stiffness of the bike in that it seemed to surge forward with every stroke of the crankset, but again, I was spending lots of timehaving the rear wheel trued.

I purchased the Aerospoke and converted it to a rear wheel by having the hubs changed and put it on my 2300. what a difference this wheel made. Between the stiffness of the carbon/aluminum bonded frame, the Mavic Crankset and Aerospoke rear wheel, it seemed that every little bit of my energy was used to propel the bike forward.

I have used resistance trainers at home, and with the spoked wheels, I could always lean back and let the rear wheel fan me and cool me off. With the aerospoke wheel, there was no breeze from the rear wheel.

I have never regretted this purchase and would recommend them to people like me who are heavy (230+) to keep from having to perform regular maintenance on the wheelsets (rear wheel)

regular steel spoked wheels, mostly 32 spoke

[Nov 05, 2008]
honestwrench

Strength:

Strength, Color Choice, Speed (when up to speed)

A bit heavy, pricey

Aerospokes are heavier than most carbon wheels, but they seem to hold up extremely well. Being a bigger guy (220lbs) I like that I don't have to feel like a wheel is going to collapse under me. Once up to speed these wheels are super fast and look awesome!

C6 Carbon Tubulars

[Nov 04, 2008]
Spagball

Strength:

Practically indestructible
Customer service
Attention getters

Weight

If you are big rider (200+ lbs) and are concerned about true and reliability this is your wheel. You can't beat the price to value ratio. I've riden a 30 mile daily loop to work on these. I'm 200 lbs. and add up to another 25 lbs in pack weight. These wheels don't care. You need to know that these are one of the only wheelsets rated for tandem use. Yes they are a bit heavy, but that's what you give up for bombproof wheels. Need to mention that their customer service is also top notch. I've had to replace two wheels in the past due to accident/car rack damage with no problem. They offer half price replacement.

There is nothing like this in this price range.

[Mar 28, 2008]
BikeyMikey

Strength:

Never need to be trued, look great, very great performance for the price, and hey, they are carbon! What more can you ask for?

A little heavy, but for the performance they dish out, who cares

When I first pulled the wheel out of the box I thought man this is pretty heavy for a wheel. I started to do my usual 25 mile run through the lakefront to downtown and noticed that I got from the beginning of the trail to downtown in about 10 mins faster then when I ride with my mavics. Great stuff! Saving up for the front to see how much more speed I can get.

Mavic CXP22, Mavic Ellipse, Alexrims DC19, Weinnman DC18

[Nov 22, 2007]
RIDEfirstWorklater

Strength:

Solid, responsive, quiet, smooth.

little heavy, but its on my comuter bike so it doesnt really matter

I just purchased this wheel (rear) yesterday and I already feel a difference. Its more responsive, it feels like my bike wants to just get up and go now. I dont get as much road vibration, which is nice because I ride with a track seat. This wheel is worth the money for sure.

[Oct 29, 2007]
Jesse

Strength:

Strength, does not go out of true, looks good

Little Heavy

I ride 10 miles a day in San Francisco commuting and other riding....The wheel rides fantastic ( I have one on front)....if you are concerned about weight it is a little heavier...but not by much...you can get one for $300