American Classic 420 Black wheelsets - clincher

420 Black

420 Black is the best do-it-all wheels on the market and strong enough for racing or training. Responsive and smooth with a lightweight, deep aerodynamic profile. Lighter than most wheels since deep rims do not need as many spokes.

Colmanchiro   Road Racer [Aug 17, 2011]
Strength:

Fast rolling aero profile, solid year after year in all conditions.

Break tracks are soft so you need carbon specific SwissStop pads which cost more and don't work as well as a standard abrasion pad.

Before you freak on the price paid my rear has a PowerTap SL+ power meter laced into it. Fantastic Wheelset only needed truing once. Aero but light and fast rolling.

Similar Products Used: Easton aero and Ritchie wcs.
ColoColo   Recreational Rider [Aug 28, 2010]
Strength:

weight (or lack thereof)

None (yet)

I got these babies last week. I waited until I received the Ultegra Cassette to try them out. Compared to my Fulcrum racing 7s, this is a total change. It feels like a different road bike. The bearings are smooth and the wheels spin forever it seems. These are 1530 grams so I shave over a pound and it made a huge difference going uphill. Cheap compared to others in the same weight stage. As far as durability goes, its too early to tell. I will post eventually how they perform under stress situations...

Similar Products Used: Fulcrum Racing 7s (1930 g)
Dave   Road Racer [Oct 22, 2009]
Strength:

wheels stayed true (till hub cracked) and felt nice, light and aero

front hub cracks!

Bought Jun 2008 from chainreaction in the UK online and shipped to Australia. Liked them till now (16 months later). Rode <5000km on these wheels in this time without hitting anything so they've had a good life. Oct 2009 a spoke pulled a big crack in the front hub. That's one dodgy hub! have contacted supplier and american classic, I'll report how it goes with them!

colnago888   Road Racer [Sep 26, 2009]
Strength:

Wheels have stayed true since purchase 3 years ago. Love the black and white graphics and excellent braking surface. Good clamping from the skewers. Lighter than my Ritchey OCR 24-spoke wheels with Record Hubs.

Paint on the spoke nipples wore off on some spots, minimalist hub design which does cause cone loosening, but not that big of a job as long as you have a 15 mm cone wrench.

American Classic CR420 Black. I had some hesitation after reading some of the old reviews with the cones losening, etc. Not really a big deal as long as you have a 15 mm cone wrench. The cone assembly has a minimalist design to save weight, but not that fragile as I've repacked the bearings at the end of each season without any incident. With this minimalist design, you will very likely need to adjust the cones once each season due to some side-to-side play that comes about from use. I ride on smooth and rough pavement and even rode once or twice on a trail. The front and rear have stayed true. I have NEVER trued these wheels, but have worked on the cones as discussed. Stiff, light and inexpensive. Would like to see a tubeless design at some point.

Similar Products Used: Ambrosio Wheels 32 spoke, Ritchey OCR Wheels 24-spoke.
jedled   Road Racer [May 02, 2008]
Strength:

Strong. Lite. Look Nice.

Locktite on Spoke nipples.

This is a very good wheel set. I have been riding these for training for the last 3+ years. I have over 11K on the first set and am having them rebuilt as a precaution - not because they need it.

There was a recall issue with the hubs back 2 years ago. American Classic was a pleasure to work with. Had them fixed and back going in no time. I weigh just over 180lbs at the beginning of the season and I ride these wheels pretty hard. American Classic uses something like lock tite on the spokes so adjusting them requires a special spoke wrench.

For me they are a wheel set I trust and can easily maintain the hubs

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Zipp
Marc   Road Racer [Dec 31, 2007]
Strength:

Super light without going over $1000. Bearings run forever.

Backwheel will get a little side to side play after about 2500 miles but only takes about 5 min. to correct.

Top knotch wheelset. I'm on my 3rd set of 420's since 2003. I've had them on 4 different bikes and I'm about to buy another set. Bearings are like silk. I clean and regrease mine once a year. My first set is still running with close to 12,000 miles and have never needed truing. 2nd set had 3500 miles on them when sold. Current set has 4000+ miles with no truing needed.