American Classic Hurricane wheelsets - clincher

Hurricane

Hurricane wheelset is designed to provide a high performance clincher wheel for the large and powerful road rider. A good choice for racing, training or cyclocross. Hurricane wheels create a balance between strength, weight, responsiveness and durability. Built with the MTB 105 front hub and Ultralight RD 205 Cassette hub for a high flange, retro look.

CapnC   Road Racer [Nov 11, 2012]
Strength:

Price
Looks good

Poor durability
Terrible Customer Service

I bought an American Classic Hurricane wheelset in 2010. While on my third or fourth ride on the wheels, the front rim dented from an abnormality in the road. I've ridden this road many times on many different wheelsets and this should not have caused damage to a rim supposedly built for durability. No problem I thought - must have been a manufacturing defect. When I called AC they refused to warranty it, insisting the damage was from abuse to the product and not any kind of defect. Based on the poor quality of both product and customer support from the company, I will not be purchasing american classic wheels again.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium, Dura Ace 7850, Fulcrum 7. Easton Circuit, Shimano RS50
the mule   Recreational Rider [Jun 03, 2011]
Strength:

Strong, ride very wheel even though they are not the lightest wheels in existence. Well built.

None I have noticed to date.

I have about 3,000 on my set of Hurricanes and so far these wheels have exceeded my expectations. They have proven to be strong, relatively light and durable. I don't notice them on long steep climbs. On downhills they are very fast and very stable.

These wheels have taken a fair amount of abuse. I ride about 8 centuries/double a year on some pretty bad roads at times in Northern California. I never have to worry about these wheels.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
8golf   Recreational Rider [Feb 11, 2010]
Strength:

Strong
Light (1600g set)

They use 32h 3x in the front too, which is overkill.
What's up with the one red spoke?

I'm 230 lbs, so I was looking for a set of clyde wheels that wouldn't pop spokes and leave me stranded way out on a long ride. I picked these because they are strong and light. They also have a slightly wider rim so I can run a 25mm tire instead of the standard 23mm used by my lighter companions. When riding with a group, I don't worry about running into holes that the others don't call out (or call out too late). I've got 1500mi on the set and they are still true. I'm a powerful rider, so I need a rear wheel that can take a lot of torque, and this 32h 3x can. I took the stock Bontrager Race wheels from my Madone 4.7 and swapped them out right out of the box--these are a few hundred grams lighter and much stronger.

Similar Products Used: None; my old touring bike has 40/48h box rims.
PaulCL   Recreational Rider [Jul 14, 2009]
Strength:

weight and strength

none that I've found

I bought these wheels for my roadbike because they have three of three for wheels: low weight, strength and fair price. So far, I am very happy. I was tired of destroying 24 spoke wheels under my 6'1", 190+lb body. I burned through a lot of wheels. I feel a lot better riding high spoke count wheels

Similar Products Used: Want the list? Neuvations, OP's, Campy Vento's, customs, etc...
cwdzoot   Road Racer [Nov 02, 2008]
Strength:

wider rim rolls and is smooth, also gives great control in corners.

not super aero.

I own 12 pair of wheels, from the ones i build myself to super fast carbon tubulars and Campy $ 1500 clinchers but the hurricanes might be my favorite. The wider rim enables me to ride clincher tires at a lower preasure and this gives a great ride.

Similar Products Used: hand build 32 campy record open pro's
nctyke   Recreational Rider [Sep 15, 2007]
Strength:

Reasonabley light and climb well.
Very Durable for a heavier rider.

None to date

Bought these as an upgrade to my Lemond. They already had 2500 miles on them when I purchased.
I wanted something relatetively light with a veiw to occasional competition but strong enough for very day riding. American Classic are the only manufacturer I which publishes a recommended weight limit for their wheels. As I was then 220lb these seemed to fit the bill perfectly.
Well another 1000 miles on these wheels and I am highly delighted with them. Roads I ride are relatively smooth but they have hit some pot holes pretty hard this summer, these wheels have not had to be tured yet.

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek Volos
Bontrager Select
CXP 23
Frodge   Road Racer [Jul 08, 2006]
Strength:

Stiff, strong, light, they roll well, 32 spokes.

My bike originally came with a set of Xero XSR-4's and I rode them for about 5000 miles. I never had a real problem with them, but wanted something that rolled better with some good strength. Well, I found it. The Hurricane wheelset is light, strong and rolls beautifully. The acceleration is smooth and fast and I really could not ask for more. I would buy another set of these wheels in a minute. I have about 2000 miles on them and they are still as true as can be. I weigh between 175-180lbs so that is no easy task for a wheel. Bravo American Classic Hurricanes!