American Classic Magnesium wheelsets - clincher

Magnesium

Magnesium is lighter than aluminum. The lighter the wheel, the less rolling resistance, the faster you go! This is the ultimate clincher wheelset for race or event use. Designed in the US by Bill Shook, American Classic 700c magnesium rims weigh 300 grams.

greg baker   Recreational Rider [Jul 10, 2011]
Strength:

As said before, a great response and jump on hills...they seem to keep true over time.

I have stayed with rubber break pads which may just wear quicker - but I have adjusted to touch of grip....you may want to get cork pads(?)

I was urged to consider as a great deal vs my Kzeriums...Wooooo! As a die hard 56 yr old road guy who still loves good tech and performance - best value. Yes, you can train with these. My only question is why we do not see American Classic product on Tour riders or some of well known consumer bikes like a ew Trek or Giant, etc?

Similar Products Used: Rolf and Mavic
Anthony   Recreational Rider [Mar 22, 2010]
Strength:

super quick wheel, especially dollar for dollar.

the black on the breaking surface does scuff off fairly quick, and while they can take a little punishment, they certainly aren't bomb proof.

These "silly" magnesium wheels came with my bike. I was none the wiser, and new little about them, initially I was planing on swapping them for a new set of wheels, something more familiar - ie: mavic, fulcrum etc... After riding them for a while in the interim. I soon discovered the only set of wheels I'll be buying in future are these - they are ridiculously light, yet strong enough for me & my riding. I weigh in at 84Kgs, and climb like a mountain goat. They spin up really quick which makes for bucket loads fun as you accelerate.

Similar Products Used: Mavic range - Aksium, Ksyriums & ESs
Matt Y   Recreational Rider [May 13, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight.

Standard brake pads even the ones a/c recommends are to deep. A/c wheels have a very narrow braking surface (approx 6mm).

Very light, in fact the lightest rim weight i've used. Weighs the same as some other brands, but the weight reduction is made where it counts.
Very quick to accelerate and awesome hill climbing wheelset.

Similar Products Used: Shimano r550 for training, AC CR420's for training & events.
torac   Road Racer [Jun 22, 2006]
Strength:

Speed,comfort,price and Amer Classic is a great company to deal with.

zero !

These mags are so,so fast. They are also smoothe and seem to float over the road. I check w/4 hi,hi ends shops. All basically said these are the best/fastest wheels ,dollar for dollar,in the bizz! I understand 9/06 will bring a tubular version.

Similar Products Used: Ksyriums+Bontragers
CactusJackSlade   Road Racer [May 17, 2006]
Strength:

LIGHT weight! Good braking (with proper brake pads!) Awesome climbig wheel.

Must use dedicated brake pads... so swapping to different wheels is more time consuming. A bit of flex (I'm only 145# Only comes in black - I'd rather have a lighter color... for light wheels!

I was trying to decide between these and the Rolf Elan Aero as I have been on Rolfs for a few years now.

I am very pleased that I got these (not that I can compare them to the Elans).

They are VERY light out at the rim, where it counts. The accelerate very quickly. They are SO light they feel twitchy for a while when I switch over from my 404's until I get used to them again (very little gyroscopic effect).

I got the Sapim spoke upgrade for the lightest combo - the trade off is just a bit of flex.

These are light, responsive and compliant. The best climbing clincheer I have used to date. I only wish these were my every day wheels!

Oh, DO NOT use std brake pads with these wheels as they have a ceramic coated surface. They will grab and you will go down.

The only reason I'm not giving these a 5 is for the brake pad issue.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Heliums & Ksyriums, Rolf (Trek) Sestriere, Vector Pro, Vecor Comp, American Classic 420's
bjarne   Road Racer [Jun 19, 2005]
Strength:

Light Lighter and Lightest

None yet

I finally got my hands on these wheels, after they had been out of stock for a long time. They are great! These wheels feel lighter than anything I have ever tried, incl. Zipp 303, allthough the scale says they wiegh the same. I can´t say anything about the stamnia af the MAG300, since I´ve only ridden them once, but so far so good. My model has CX-RAY spokes, and weigh 1207g on my digital weight, and they are stiff and very responsiv.

Similar Products Used: Corima medium,american classic CR-420, Zipp 303 tubular, Ksyrium, Mavic Helium