Bontrager Aura 5 TLR wheelsets - clincher

Bontrager Aura 5 TLR wheelsets - clincher

You won't let wind slow you down and you shouldn't let flats either. Combine state-of-the-art aerodynamics with the many benefits of road tubeless and you've got the Aura 5 TLR road wheelset. With an aluminum rim mated to a 50mm carbon (ACC) profile, Aura 5 is proven in the wind tunnel to be crazy fast, with the pad compatibility and traditional braking feel of an alloy track.

[Dec 10, 2017]
tim r

Strength:

Fast and durable. Great hubs

weight of 1720 grams- altho very good for the price. Fairing can be damaged since it is not structural- pretty lightly made. But on the positive side, if you do crack it, abit of nail polish or epoxy, or even packing tape, will work to keep it together and prevent a spread of the crack/break. The only time I cracked mine when I foolishly went to hang the bike from it's front wheel on a ceiling hook. Otherwise I have not cracked it in 5 or 6 years of riding , racing, throwing in the trunk or back seat of the car, etc. Not babying them.
Also, the freehub body notches quite a bit ; due to alloy construction, but no more than other wheels (most will have alloy rather than steel for weight savings).

I have used these for 5 years. Got them after a friend got Zipps and was passing me on downhills. I got these and stay with him. Noticeably a bit faster than standard depth wheels. Handle crosswinds very well- strong crosswinds feel like a gentle push rather than any sharp sudden movement. Handles much better than standard wheels with bladed spokes. Very well built. I am 200 pound aging racer, and have had to true these only once (after major whack on RR tracks). Only took a few minutes to true, and it has been years and over 10,ooo miles and they are still true.

[Jun 17, 2016]
D.Paul

Strength:

Fast, stiff and sound good

Collects water and does not drain.

I upgraded my 2015 Trek Emonda SL6 with these wheels. I was initially very pleased with the performance in terms of speed and handling. However when it rains these wheels collect water and do not drain until the wheels is removed from the bike and held horizontally and given a good shake, most of the water will drain from the single hole in the carbon section on either side of the wheel. What is worse is that some water still remains trapped in the rim and does not come out unless the tire and tube is removed and the water will drain through the valve hole.

[Sep 09, 2015]
Patrick

Strength:

Decent aero. Brakes good.

Water got stuck in fairings

Bought a couple of these to use as my everyday wheels. After a rainy ride I washed them of and put the cycle in my garage with the drainage holes downwards. However water was still splashing around inside the fairings after a couple of days and by holding them horizontally and shaking I got quite much water out of them. Claimed production/construction error but Bontrager declined. Seem like it's ok to them but not to me. Eventually the shop accepted my return even though I been using them for a month.
Other then that they are decent aero and brakes good.