Bontrager Race Lite wheelsets - clincher

Bontrager Race Lite wheelsets - clincher

• Rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking – 20 hole, 23mm semi-aero front rim provides excellent aerodynamics (especially with 23c tire), while the 24 hole, 21mm rear rim with OSB improves lateral rigidity and prolongs wheel life
  • Rear hub is Swiss made, fully serviceable, with a combination of cartridge and needle bearings; torque sharing design improves wheel stiffness and wheel life, while steel freehub body will not get marred up with use
  • Front hub has large cartridge bearings and an oversized aluminum axle
  • Spokes are 14G bladed stainless steel; J-bend type allows for replacement with any standard 14G spoke in a pinch
  • Bontrager Race Lite Road Cro-moly skewers included
  • Weight: 740/1020 grams

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 13, 2015]
    dean

Strength:

These wheels have been superb for me- they are relatively light ,offer excellent rolling qualities through having sealed bearings so longevity and durability havnt been an issue, I have had 6 years out of them and just a few trues done in that time plus one loose spoke, the rims are gradually concaving and fining out now so becoming a risk to hold the tyre bead in possibly at high pressures but for a relatively budget wheelset I can't see much pass these for value and performance they tick more boxes than most
    Strong = yes
    Reliable= big yes
    Value for money= exceptional

Little quibber about the aerospokes- tried to get these serviced but problem locating the correct spoke key? Responsiveness to accelleration, feel laggy but really are a training wheel in respect to this

All in all if u want a workman type wheel that stands up to most things and are happy to compromise on performance then this is the best pound for pound wheel going yes its not as responsive as other wheels but for an alloy one I'm impressed

[Jan 17, 2012]
    Ed

Strength:

Customer service of local bike shop

Broke 2 rear wheels in 3 years

I love these wheels - when they don't break. Stayed true even though I am 190 lbs. Pretty light and aero. I used them in all sorts of rides.

[Aug 14, 2011]
    jhighsinger

Strength:

Roll smooth and stiff, fairly light, especially the Race X Lite.

Durability.

Junk. These came stock on my Trek. Six months in, a spoke pulled through the rear rim. One year later, popped a spoke, discovered cracks all around the wheel. Same story less than a year later. And again. Then the rep upgraded me to a Race X Lite. Three months, eyelet came out. Next Race X Lite showed cracks within 3k miles.
    The front fared better, so I didn't notice the multiple cracks in it until after the 5-year warranty period. Not sure how long they were there though.
    I am a bit of a Clydesdale (200 lbs.), and ride hard but not on rough terrain. These wheels are junk.
    To their credit, Bontrager replaced every one free of charge, the last one even past the warranty period. The service, and the fact that the wheels performed well when not broken warrants a mediocre rating. After all, I did get 5+ years out of them.
    Great service, bad product.

Mavic CXP22, Alex Race 28

[Aug 01, 2011]
    Joe DePalma

Strength:

Bladed spokes, looks, price

Paired spoke design puts too much stress on such a small rim area

I bought the wheels on a closeout at my LBS. They were on a 2008 Trek Madone 5.2 floor model and had seen probably 300 miles or so before I bought them. They look good, and the bladed spokes are pretty aerodynamic, but the rear rim developed cracks only after 50 miles of riding on northern Delaware roads. The paired spoke design tries to solve a problem that never existed. Paired spokes put too much pressure over a small rim surface, and thus the rim cracks. Front is perfect (since there's less weight pounding it while riding).

Bontrager Race, Matrix 750, BWW Pure CX wheels

[Jun 28, 2011]
    murbike

Strength:

Tough wheels.

Haven't found any.

The Bonty Race Lites came with my bike ('06 LeMond Sarthe) - I expected them to last 2, 3 years max. It's been over 5 now, and they are just starting to show the wear. I'm a 'heavier' rider, and can really work on wheels.

This wheelset has really surprised me - they've gone out of true maybe 3 times.

I am very impressed.

Handbuilt Mavics

[Jun 22, 2011]
    TimT

The rear wheel contibually went out of true, sometimes required straightening after each ride. Eventually I bought a new rim but that just did the same, and worse because the rim itself began to show cracks around the spoke holes. I have now left the wheel with the dealer (Alpine Bikes in Aberdeen) who refused to give a refund. I think there is a fundamental design flaw as there are simply too few spokes to take the stress going int the back wheel. The front wheel was always fine. Won't be buying any more Trek products or using Alpine Bikes again.

[May 21, 2011]
    onemore ride

Strength:

I don't know, maybe they look good.

broken spokes , go out of true often

No, I can not recommend these wheels. I have a constant problem with the wheels coming out of true and the spokes breaking. This is my second set. I was talked into purchasing the second set because of the warranty, which was 5 years when I bought them in 2009. However, a warranty doesn't mean squat when you're stranded 40 miles from home with another broken spoke.

[May 19, 2011]
    John Spurlin

Strength:

Durability, stay true, good ride qualily

I have a 2006 Lemond Zurich. It came with Bontrager Race Lite wheels. I have read some reviews with negative comments about these wheels. I have ridden the Race Lites about 13,000 miles and the only time I needed one trued was after a car hit me and broke my seat stay. I have ridden over lots of rough pavement and debris-strewn bike paths. I can't compare them to other wheels but these have been very durable and reliable and they are the same weight as Mavic Kyseriums. . Great wheels.

[Jan 18, 2011]
    Arif Aytan

Strength:

looking good. good hubs.

poor quality rims.very expensive when compared...

I have 2003 trek 2300 and when I bought the bike new it came with Bont. race lite wheelset. Last year I decided to refresh the bike with 2010 race lite again because I was happy with the old ones.
    When I bought them I realise that they are lighter than the old model. After riding them in past one year around 2500km,now wheels need the trueing every month and not stiff as before. 10 days ago I went for Shimano R500 which is little bit heavier but 1/3 price and stronger.

mavic aksium much much better

[Sep 08, 2010]
    Carlos J Mojca

Strength:

great on bad roads in my area

I have had these wheels for five year going on six only once did I break a spoke and till recent they can't be true any more this is only the second time to be trued. My replacement are the same wheels.