Bontrager Race X Lite Carbon Track wheelsets - clincher

• 16 hole front and rear,utilizing Paired Spoke Technology
  • 26mm spacing,results in the lightest possible rim design

[May 31, 2007]
Bleve

Strength:

Light (1400g pair), reasonably aero - low spoke count, bladed spokes and moderate rim depth, great looks - they match the Trek T1 perfectly. Very responsive. Fast? Who knows without a wind tunnel? They feel fast, and that's enough for this track-hack.

Not many around - I think Trek didn't sell many? I'm a bit dubious about the 16 spokes on the back, but time will tell. I'm a big lad and a bit of a sprinter, and they felt ok last night on a 42 degree banked wooden velodrome. I think they sit in a no-mans land price-wise. RRP here (Australia) is too high for a semi-aero wheel. They're better than an alloy rim, but not a Mavic IO. Sort of 'if you're going to buy a top wheel, would you splash for an IO or buy these?'

My first set of track tubulars after riding on Bontrager Select Track clinchers on Concrete and indoor board velodromes. With Tufo S3 Pro tyres and continental 'yellow' glue, these wheels have thought-control steering and feel great. I got them through the LBS I work at, so got them cheaply.

Nothing really similar - I've been racing track on Bontrager selects with Bontrager race-lite tyres - which are ok on steep board velodromes until the tread wears to a slick, then it's slippery city.

OVERALL