Bontrager Select wheelsets - clincher

Select

• Rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking; semi-aero front rim provides excellent aerodynamics, while rear rim with OSB improves lateral rigidity, prolongs wheel life – this wheel is extremely comfortable for those long century rides
  • Hubset utilizes forged shell with hardened, ground and polished cones and races, and Cro-moly axles; hubs are fully serviceable and replacement parts are available at your local Bontrager dealer
  • Spokes are 14/15G butted stainless steel with brass locking nipples; J-bend type allows for replacement with any standard 14G spoke in a pinch
  • Bontrager Race Lite Road Cro-moly skewers included
  • Weight: 835/1020 grams

• User Reviews (50)

Scott Harris   Road Racer [May 27, 2015]
    Strength:

Durability

Flexy

Ive been using a rear bontrager select track wheel as my main beater for 3 years now. I work as a bike messenger on brakeless track bike in the midwest. Three winters and counting with this wheel. Ive only replaced the bearings once. Its truly amazing how long this wheel has stood the test of time, especially considering the lesser spoke count.

geo   Recreational Rider [Apr 30, 2015]
    Strength:

They look pretty good

Creaky, paired spokes were an unfortunate trend

Came on on my Trek 1500.
    These wheels have been fine for years. They creak while climbing. Recently I locked up the brakes while stopping suddenly and the rear rim deformed beyond repair.... I'm attributing this to their age and the paired spokes.

Gary D   Commuter [Apr 11, 2012]
    Strength:

Look decent,stay true,spin well

none so far

Have one on the rear of my 76 takara,got the wheel from a friend.So far I'm pleased with it plenty strong I ride 200 to 300 km a week and weigh 70kg.For what it is I totally have no complaints.

tfielke   Commuter [May 25, 2009]
    Strength:

Look Good,
    Handled anything I threw at them including a couple of at speed incidents in the Peleton

None that I know off.

I road a pair of these from new for 42000 km until I sold the bike. This was over a 4 year period and I only broke one spoke which was caused by snapping a branch off in the rear wheel flicked up from road. I am around 82 kg. Great Product and they look good.

Similar Products Used: Fulcrum Racing 7
    mac14   Recreational Rider [Jan 11, 2009]
    Strength:

look good
    light
    paired spokes
    good stock wheel

hubs creek and need tuning

these are pritty good wheels for stock and for starting out but bying another pair and useing these as spairs would be a good idea.

Similar Products Used: bontreger ssl
    Quixote   Road Racer [Aug 26, 2008]
    Strength:

Sturdy, bombproof actually. Railroads, potholes no problem. They are still true, but the rear wheel has gone slightly out of round.

Unforgiving on rough chip seal pavement compared to a carbon rim. Due to their weight, they are not very responsive, certainly not for use on any serious hills, and they really aren't aerodynamic.

These rims came stock on my bike. I use them for training and off season rolling. They have about 6000km on them and have no cracks. They are an OK rim -not very resopnsive, but good for training or communting I suppose. Bombproof in my experience. I wouldn't and don't race with them.

jontn_swift   Road Racer [Aug 20, 2008]
    Strength:

Look cool

Paired spokes require too high tension and leave too much unsupported rim between the spoke pairs.

These Wheels came on my Trek 1500. After 1 year and about 3000 miles the rear rim has developed cracks around several spoke holes. If you are a large and/or powerful rider these wheels are a bad idea.

Similar Products Used: Neuvation M28 Aeros
    jfoley   Recreational Rider [Jul 26, 2008]
    Strength:

Looks, cheap.

Durability.

Bontrager Selects came with my 2007 Trek 1400. The front is still working okay after 7500 miles although the hub is starting to suffer. I had to replace the rear after 3000 miles - spokes had snapped several times and the hub had reached the end of its life. Braking surface on the rims was also in bad shape. I'm quite a heavy rider (85kg) and I do use the bike pretty hard (150+ miles per week with Scottish weather and roads). I definitely needed something tougher.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pro/Shimano 105 rear - much tougher - great for heavier rider.
    Bill Golembieski   Road Racer [Jun 20, 2008]
    Strength:

Durable(so far), not tooo expensive, somewhat aero, and preforms well on the hills

Front hub creaks after a while.

I've had these wheels for a little over a year now and have ridden them with no problem so far. Around mile 1000 started to notice a creaking noise from the front hub when I stand up to accelerate. Other than that these wheels are a great for beginners. They are also great back-up and training wheels. Mine haven't cracked at all despite other reviews. They roll pretty well for the price. They are pretty decent on the hills. I would recommend buying these wheels for training / light racing. I'm 155lbs and I haven't had to true them yet even though Ive hit a bunch of potholes, rode off road, and had my fair share of crashes. Once again a great wheel for the price.

gman92069   Recreational Rider [May 21, 2008]
    Strength:

Light weight. Inexpensive. I have all Bontrager parts on my mountain bike and have had NO problems at all.

Rim starting to crack around spokes.

I've had this bike a little over a year now and put a little over 1000 miles on it. I weigh in at just over 200 lbs. The roads I tend to ride are smooth to mildly rough. haven't hit any major potholes and no crashes, but have noticed the rear rim is cracking around one of the spokes. Since I wasn't the original purchaser (the bike had about 20 miles on it when I bought it), there was no warranty so I ordered another one for $129.00 at my local bike shop. We'll see how this one holds up. I may end up back here looking at reviews for another wheel!

Similar Products Used: An OLD (1970's)pair of Mavics. Weighed a ton, but no problems.