Campagnolo Khamsin wheelsets - clincher

Khamsin

Campagnolo 2011 Khamsin Rear Wheel

Bligo Bingo   Recreational Rider [Mar 26, 2011]
Strength:

Wheels seem stiffer than my old version. I haven't put many miles on them yet but they seem bullet proof. In contrast with the pre-2011 model, the freewheel is quiet. It is even quieter than my old Chorus hubs. Oh yeah, they were super cheap for the quality.

None. But I haven't owned them long.

This review for CX version, but it is identical to this version except the seals more resistant to water and grit. I mostly want to alert others on how the quiet freehubs on the new version.

These wheels are a dramatic improvement over my old wheels described below. I am riding in a higher gear (gear-inches) cogs. For example, if I was in the 8th cog on a hill, I am now in the 7th cog. Perhaps it is placebo effect, I don't know, but I like it.

Similar Products Used: These are replacing on traditions Campy wheels with Mavic Rim(rear) /Ambrosia(front) because of cracked freehub that cannot replaced (no longer made by Campy). This is my first factory wheelset.
Ryan   Recreational Rider [Nov 11, 2010]
Strength:

Looks, Stability, Stength, stiffness and ride quality.

Breaking, The breaking surfaces have a bunch of flex. I haven't tried changin pads though. Stickers are low quality.

Coming from box section wheels I was expecting a harsh ride and problems in cross winds. These wheels are far more stable in every way. For the cheapest campy hubbed wheelset I could find these far exceeds my expectations. At 230lbs I am hard on rear wheels but the hubs are still smooth, wheels are true and spoke tension is dead on. They look Awesome.

Similar Products Used: Ambrosio Evolutions
giiviak   Commuter [Jun 03, 2008]
Strength:

Strong rims (for 52kg rider, they dont noticably flex under me when I 'hammer' it).

When new, these rolled better than my previous cheaper no-names.

Great wear life of braking surface.

Good value for training wheels.

None for a 52kg road cycle enthusiast who is not interested in racing.

I'm 52kg, had these rims for about 11months and have done 10000km on them in dry and wet weather.

These rims havent gone out of true since I I've had them. I've gone over potholes, hit a pipe on the road that gave me a rear pinch flat and they are still true. Ridden in torrential rain, the hubs are well sealed and the rims still have plenty of life in them (probably another 6-8000km!).

Both hubs have become tight and are not smooth to twist with your finger off the bike after 10,000km - however when rolling on the bike you really cant tell the difference. Theres no play in the bearings whatsoever after 10000km too but this may be due to them being tight.

If u're after something for racing look elsewhere but for training these are a fine choice.

Similar Products Used: Not so good wheels on a stock Giant OCR2 '04/'05 model.
HolLo, Hungary, Europe   Commuter [May 16, 2008]
Strength:

- Bombproof.
- Costs the same as a pair of centaur hubs.
- Rim profile enables allround use.
- Traditional spokes - easy truing or replacement (if it will be necessary).
- Stiffness, cornering
- Braking performance

- Bearings seem to limit the life expectancy.
- Freewheel noise (it isn't friction however!).
- Skewers

First of all, I love this set. I am using it on rough roads, 140 lbs, not racing but they 're on heavy duty - we have too many potholes to avoid... Reliable braking (NoName double pivot calipers) and cornering. Lateral rigidity is also great. I like the G3 pattern at the rear, but don't really understand, why is it "necessary" at the front wheel. G3 behind means that neither of the spokes rubs another! Bearings are smooth, but they aren't serviceable. Freewheel is noisy indeed. Skewers are very simple. Rim profile seems ideal for a basic allround wheel. Weight is not a real issue in my case.
Next upgrade should be at least Neutron or Eurus. I haven't been a campagnolo-fan, but now I 'm considering...

Marcos_E   Road Racer [May 03, 2008]
Strength:

+ Reliable: These wheels are pretty strong and hold true quite well, not to mention roll smoothly.
+ Appearance: They're sexy, no way around it!
+ Cost: Super affordable!

- Weight: These things are a bit heavy to be full fledged race wheels, they weigh in at a bit over 1800 grams.

- Freewheel: Just echoing the other reviews here, the freewheel is louder than the voice of God it seems!

These are excellent training wheels overall.

I bought them initally planning to use them as race wheels, but my coach and grandmother had other plans. IE: better wheels.

I'm holding onto them as a back-up wheelset and am glad for it.

They're great overall wheelsets.

928Rider   Road Racer [Oct 22, 2007]
Strength:

Super strong Campagnolo quality is obvious even in this low end priced wheel.

Noisy Freehub. Really Noisy. You can't coast up behind someone in a race and not have them know you are there.

For the price you can't beat them. I bought them for beater/training wheels back in May and have ended up racing them at every race.

Similar Products Used: Campagnolo Sciroccos
nagatahawk   Recreational Rider [Jun 15, 2007]
Strength:

Campy quality, especially the bearings. very strong wheel set and stiff.

The gold color is very cool.

a little heavy.

I got the gold set, hubs and rims/black spokes. It looks totally sexy with my black frame with gold airbrushed panels.

very stiff wheel set and very good price.

They are surprizingly heavier than the shimano 105 wheel set that came with my bike. probably the campy rear hub w/10 speed. and it is very noisy. at least I don't have to call out "on your left"!

it rolls faster, especially the downhills, I've picked up 1 mph on the flats and 3mph on the down hills.

Similar Products Used: weinman/shimano 105s, weinman/campy record (old school)
kiwisimon   Recreational Rider [Jun 05, 2007]
Strength:

Looks definitely more racey than the mavic cosmos they replace. Build quality is up there as expected with anything that has the campy name on it.More compliant and forgiving of road buzz than a traditional 32 spoke wheel, really takes the edge of the road buzz.

noisy freehub really clicks loudly, don't spin as free as the mavics do.Have to figure the clicking is friction, maybe it will settle down with usage but not yet.

First impressions of this wheelset are good. I bhave only ridden about 1000kms on them thus far but for a set of budget wheels they look awesome, appear to be well finished and aren't too heavy.