Campagnolo Neutron wheelsets - clincher

Neutron

• Low profile welded rims with a machined braking surface for the smoothest possible braking
  • Front rim is symmetrical and lighter while the rear rim is stouter and asymmetrical for improved lateral rigidity
  • Hubs have adjustable 15-ball precision bearings
  • Includes Campagnolo double-pivot/arm QR skewers, 12t cassette lockring, and wheel bags
  • 1550g set: 660g-front / 890g-rear

• User Reviews (25)

Ash   Road Racer [Oct 30, 2015]
    Strength:

Strong, Light, Maintenance free. Good rolling performance.
    Comfortable on rough roads.
    Terrific for heavier riders as you can get away with a light wheel without sacrificing strength

None really, except that some tyres (eg. Michelin) can be a little tough to fit.

I've had the Neutron wheels for a couple of years and not one problem with them. I'm over 105 kgs and regularly destroy wheels. Broken spokes were a common feature of rides until I discovered the Neutrons. For their weight, they are by far the strongest wheels I've had. They are also very good on rougher surfaces, seeming to iron out the bumps better than most road wheels I've ridden.
    I need all the help I can get when the road heads upwards, and due to the light weight and rolling resistance (lack of), the Neutrons are great for climbing too
    I've now purchased a second set for another bike and I'll probably get some for my third bike.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium.
    scott   Road Racer [May 25, 2015]
    Strength:

** amazingly durable, maintenance-free, robust and long-lived

** as aero as any no-profile wheel

** rides as well over rough roads as any race-worthy wheel I've tried (old Spinergy Spox excepted)

** certainly as laterally stiff as any no-profile wheel out there

** precise steering accuracy

** top-quality hardware and hubs

** no wear on the brake tracks after 30,000 gritty miles!

** low-key stealth appearance

** paid $525 new! (in 2001)

** trapezoidal rims, offset spokes, aero low-spoke-count, no external spoke nipple drag have stood the test of time as best practices in making a stiff durable low-profile aero-ish smooth-riding wheelset.

** the fact the 2015 Neutrons are essentially the identical wheel proves the above points...

** they are a couple mm larger in diameter making some tire brands a bear to fit, Michelins especially

This is a review of my 2001 Campy Nucleons. The current Neutron is essentially the same wheel with some carbon replacing some aluminum in the hubs and further cutouts in the rims to save weight. My posting my Nucleon experience should add to the legacy and durability of those considering more-current Neutrons.

I wrote a review for my Nucleons soon after I bought them in 2001 to replace some Spinergy Spox, a rather unique, long-discontinued, wheelset. I wasn't thrilled by all aspects of the Nucleons, especially compared to the Spox, at the time, and said I'd reconsider if they last forever.

14 years later and about 30,000 miles on the same pair without needing any kind of adjustment aside from greasing the hubs (with external grease ports), riding a lot of other newer 'fancier' wheels to compare, and considering I bought them for $525 new, I'm finally revising my post to 5 stars for value and overall. They last forever.

Compared to the Spox they ride rougher and don't have the immediate directional response. Compared to any other road wheel they ride as well as my 32-spoke open-pros but are much torsionally stiffer and more-aerodynamic for a no-profile wheel. Even today a 1550 gram *metal* wheelset is competitive, especially when you consider their spectacular durability.

As mentioned, in 30,000 miles they have needed NO attention beyond new rim strips and occasional external greasing. The brake track has no cupping and is like-new. The entire rim, including the stickers. still look fresh out of the box. They're as straight and true as the day I bought them. They've hit big holes (even blowing out a tire in one case), plenty of muck on the brake pads on rainy days, changing cassettes frequently, swapping wheels regularly. They put the power down better than my other wheels, don't beat me up on New England roads, banzai descents with full confidence and tracking, and feel great out of the saddle.

Did I mention they seem like they'll last forever?

Similar Products Used: Various Ksyriums and Heliums; Mavic Cosmic Equipe; Chorus hubs + Mavic Open Pro 32 3X 14/17F, 14/15R; borrowed full-on time trial wheels, Zipp 404, 808, Specialized Royale 40; Bontrager Select;
    Bruno   [May 14, 2012]
    Strength:

Very strong. Great for climbing.

I just had to replace my neutron wheelset ...after 6 years. I had the rims trued once during that time. I ride Ultra and Rando and the road conditions can be dicey at times. They are the only wheels I have. I weigh over 200 lbs.

MeinGewehr   Recreational Rider [Apr 11, 2012]
    Strength:

Light, low rotational weight - fast spin up, smooth and quiet, very low maintenance.

Spoke placement will make truing a challenge - academic at this point as I have not had to.

Looked at Zipps, Reynolds, Mavics etc etc. Chose these due to the general reviews of light weight as good climbing wheels, low maintenance needs.
    The low rotational weight, bladed spokes and slim profile make them good all-round condition wheels.
    Paired them with Vittoria Open Corsas and light weight tubes so they ride very nicely and comfortably while being easy to accelerate.
    I weigh 150 lbs, only have slightly over 1K miles on them, so they are relatively new and I cannot speak to real longevity.

Similar Products Used: Zipp 404s, Mavic Heliums, Rolf ??, handbuilt Campy Mockba(Moscow) rims on Record hubs(32s).
    Wyatt963   Recreational Rider [May 26, 2011]
    Strength:

Trouble free, durable, and stable at high speeds.

I really don't know of any at this time.

I bought these wheels used on ebay, so who knows how many original miles were already on them, but they were clean, and true.
    I have since put over 12,000 miles on them, and have ridden them over some pretty bad stretches of road, and they are still true.
    Every 6,000 miles I have broken the hubs down, cleaned, and regreased the bearings, with Phil Woods green grease. These wheels have been bomb proof and trouble free for me. I have hit speeds of 50 mph coming down Hwy 74, and they track and corner like they on are rails.
    I can detect no signs of them wearing out yet.
    There might be lighter wheels out there, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a more trouble free, and durable set.

locopsu   Recreational Rider [Mar 14, 2011]
    Strength:

Light, Strong, Roll for ever.

none so far

Bought these based on reviews here for my new Colnago Master Frame. Wanted Mavic's but got the Campy based on reviews here. Am just under 100 kg (215 lb) and pretty much destroy wheels. In six months they are still true and roll great. Rode them up Alp Du Huez last summer and some climbing in the region. Roll fantastic

Similar Products Used: Campy Chorus Hubs with various Mavic rims
    Damien   Recreational Rider [Aug 19, 2010]
    Strength:

Fast, light, stiff, roll forever and ever and ever and ever.

See above..

Hmm,I loved these wheels until 2 days ago. I'm a relatively heavy guy, about 93 kg, and get involved in some sprints and club racing. Anyhow, the time came to get the wheels trued (spokes tensioned - they were straig as) and the LBS rang to tell me that the spoke nipples could not be moved, they had corroded such that they had effectively fused. They said that this is a relatively common issue with internal nipples, combine that with the fact that the spokes are stainliess, nipples are brass and rims are alloy and you get some interesting chemical reactions. The fact that I live across the road from the beach hasn't helped.

Anyhow, I was informed that it would cost AUD500 to re-spoke the wheels (AUD400 for the spokes COST) so I'm gonna get new ones, probably Neutrons again, but will endeavour to maintain them better. The LBS said that Mavics are very susceptible to this problem...

alex up in toronto   Commuter [Oct 01, 2009]
    Strength:

service free what more can you say ?

great wheel stiff and light i ride year round up here and these have stood up very well no service required at all over 3 yrs including 2 winters and as some of you may know toronto winters are unforgiving on moving parts of any kind

Similar Products Used: open pro cxp 33
    Bruno George   Road Racer [Mar 29, 2008]
    Strength:

Strong. Good on hills and flats. At the same time they are smooth enough for long wides, like double centuries.

coasting is a little noisy

I've beat the crap out of these wheels. I don't pay attention to pot holes. I weigh over 200 pounds. I've never had to true the rims or service the bearings.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium SL
    Ritchey Pro
    Easton Vista
    laurent   Road Racer [Dec 27, 2007]
    Strength:

-Polyvalent,
    -Quite light,
    -Responsive, stiff enough and quite comfortable,
    -Intelligent overall design / quality built
    -Not bikeshows, fancy wheels: You can trust it in the real life.

-Expensive,
    -Mounting the tires is not fun,
    -Could have been a little more aero (with just more rounded rims)
    -Replacement parts/spokes could be expensive (but I don't think I'll brake a lot of spokes on them)

This is for the 2006' wheelset.
    Price in euros : 450€.

I wanted a light but reliable wheelset for climbing, as I live 2h from the French Alps :-)
    That means light, but not too much: Not one of these fragile, short lived 1300g wheels that you have to sent to manufacture's repairing service every 2 months and that does not break under the rain. I wanted real wheels for the real road.

And that is exactly what are these Campa "neutron": OK not the lightest on the market, but quite light anyway, well designed, responsive and stiff enough.

I have made something like 2500kms with them last summer, on various roads: Comfort is decent.
    I have rode stiffer wheels, but these were hard-like-concrete aero wheels that I used for racing on flat races few years ago. They are stiff enough for most utilisations, I think. I don't race anymore but I wouldn't be afraid using them on a hard race.

They are not "aero" but I guess their very clean design (no external nipples, thin spokes, simple rounded hubs etc) makes them as aero as some heavier wheels with high-profile rims.

You can ride on rough roads, have a safe breaking at 80km/h down a mountain etc...

They are easy to clean and the Campagnolo guide explain all the maintenance/lube/montage operations in details when time comes to do that.

I found hubs a little bit tight at the beginning but they became smoother after few rides. Now they are OK.

I don't know how durable they will be but other users seems to have them for a long time. I'm quite confident on that point.
    I'm not a "Campy forever guy" at all but I have to admit that all their products I used so far were reliable and well built.

On the bad side, they are quite expensive (that's why I found the 2006' version, that where on discount).
    And... mounting the tires for the first time is a pain, that's true. Well, not a big issue if you change your tires once or twice a year.

In conclusion, I do not regret buying them. They deserve a good 4/5 in their category, which is good grade for me.

Similar Products Used: Nothing similar.
    Various training wheels (mavic cosmos and a bunch of handbuilt wheelset) and some old-school stiff aero wheels.