Campagnolo Nucleon Clincher wheelsets - clincher

Nucleon Clincher

The nucleon wheelset features incredible light weight coupled with excellent lateral rigidity for top racing performance when the terrain gets steep. Features include: HPW hubs with lubrication port, titanium pawl carrier aero lacing and lightweight aero spokes. Record skewers included. 22 spokes

Peter Smith   [Nov 29, 2012]
Strength:

Light and lively to ride.

A crack has appeared in the front wheel outer hub casing running from the flange, at its widest,towards the centre; the loosening of the the spokes around the hub resulting in the wheel buckling.

The damaged wheel is on a Pinarello Opera, about 10 years old. and was in constant use up to 4 years ago. I have 2 other bikes with the Neutron version fitted and have always been very, very pleased with their performance. I chose Campag groupsets and wheels for all 3 bikes after a visit to the factory, and being impressed by the precision engineering used in all their products. I suspect mine were among the earliest examples produced. Now I find it a little disconcerting to think that my other wheels may go the same way. the bike had been stored for 4 years prior to January 2012. Although I am a UK resident, the wheel is used in Florida, where I would look to find a replacement. Has anyone had a similar experience, or can offer an explanation/advice?

Michael Hendricks   Recreational Rider [Jun 18, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff wheels, great hubs, light but strong.

I haven't found any yet.

Bought these wheels brand new over a year ago. I was looking for a good set of wheels that we're designed for climbing but wuth enough strength to hold this 190 lb. I needed a good spoke count as well because I never trust anyhing less than 24. For the money, I think they are the best around.

Similar Products Used: Mavic
foxjb   Recreational Rider [May 27, 2009]
Strength:

Tough, good looking,and not expensive to buy used.

Most people comment that they are "old school."

These are outstanding training wheels. When the going gets tough these wheels will not leave you stranded. But they are also reasonably light. Overall a very good all around wheel.

Similar Products Used: Real Design, Shimano, etc.
Christian Pologna   Road Racer [Sep 24, 2006]
Strength:

Rigidità e leggerezza.

Peccato non poterli sfruttare al meglio con un gruppo SHIMANO. Io non sono un estimatore della CAMPAGNOLO in tal senso. Le coperture Continental (3000 gran prix) sono molto ostiche da montare. Meglio optare per le Michelin AXIAL PRO

Dal momento in cui ho montato queste ruote sulla mia battaglin non ho smesso di sorprendermi. Dopo migliaia di KM percorsi su ogni tipo di terreno ed in ogni situazione (4 stagioni), oggi, a 7 anni dall'acquisto non ho ancora riscontrato il minimo cedimento, non un raggio rotto, non una scalfitura...sono qualcosa di fantastico. L'unico dilemma è legato dal fatto che monto un gruppo SHIMANO DURA ACE che ho dovuto rendere compatibile alla ruota CAMPAGNOLO con pignoni MARCHISIO. Alla lunga ne risento con la precisione di cambio ma per questo è sufficiente una piccola ricalibratura e poi per altri 3mila Km il problema non si pone +.

Similar Products Used: Nessuno
billyboy6751   Recreational Rider [Dec 09, 2004]
Strength:

Light and very strong

Continental Grand Prix's, which I favor, are incredibly hard to mount. Some other tires are easier to get on.

I bought these Nucleons the first year they came out--about 7 years ago. Switched them to my Serotta 5 years ago. I ride them in fast 20 mile evening club rides, long 80 mile weekend rides, over 12,000 foot passes in Colorado every year. I ride them in the summer and in winter on all kinds of pavement. I have at least 30,000 miles on them and they are perfect--like the day I bought them. No broken spokes, never been trued, have only replaced hub bearings twice and the last time I don't think they even needed replacing. I can't imagine any wheel being any better than these.

Similar Products Used: Velomax Circuit, Mavic Kysium
boneman   Recreational Rider [Jan 19, 2004]
Strength:

"Well designed, well made of high quality materials. The rotating mass is, subjectively, extremely light. The bladed spokes, new for 2002, are a bonus. Can also be had with a Shimano compatible (made by Campy) freehub." Having destroyed the front in an accident last July and then disassembling the wheel, it's even more apparent the care with which this wheel has been engineered. The special spoke washers, nyloc spoke nuts, hub design, and rim are incredible.

"Cost when compared to conventional built wheels." I will also note that parts, at least in the UK, are not easily obtained and expensive. The rim itself is a heart stopping £101 and a complete spoke kit is £61. Kysrium replacement parts are about 20% cheaper and much easier to find.

I first reviewed these in 4-2002, before RBR listed the Neutrons so it was posted under Nucleon's. "Superb set of wheels. Light and durable. I love riding with these wheels. As a serious rider for the last 30 years, the mantra of save your money but spend it on wheels has never been forgotten. These are the wheels to buy if you can only afford one and you are looking at prebuilts. I also have a set of 2001 Kysriums. If I had to choose between the two the choice would be easy. The Neutrons by any measure." Nothing's changed in that view after 6,000+ miles and also buying a set of Kysrium SL's. I totaled the front in a massive endo, hitting a pedestrian at about 25mph. Only damage was a severely bent front wheel with terminal damage to the rim. I took the wheel apart and the rim is one great piece of extrusion. I bought another front wheel for £220. Generally in Europe, they're only sold as sets, not individually by the retailer. I didn't repair it for reasons you'll find under Weaknesses. I continue to give these wheels my highest recommendation.

Similar Products Used: Various spoked tub and clincher wheels, Rev-x, and Kysriums, original and SL's.
gmalan   Road Racer [Sep 09, 2002]
Strength:

Very fast, very strong, very stiff. Confidence inspiring. Servicable hubs, easy magnet fitment

Not particularly flashy (matt black) and are all those the techno jargon decals really necessary?

Fabulous wheels! They're 500g lighter than my Open Pro/Daytona hub combo and the difference on the road is amazing. Bought them Saturday, raced 90 km Sunday and I was flying. Acceleration is superb due to low weight and the rolling/aerodynamic resistance is much much lower than Open Pro's. After huge crash (broken ribs etc...) both wheels are still straight, which is unbelievable considering that the front wheel was knocked out of the frame.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pro/Daytona Hubs
roadyray   Recreational Rider [Sep 02, 2002]
Strength:

Looks good

Spongy ride. Unstable on crosswind. Only marginally lighter than hand built wheels

These wheels did not meet my expectations. They are only marginally lighter than my hand built wheels with Record hubs double butted spokes and Mavic Open Pro 32 holes. Contrary to most reviews I find ride spongier than stiff therefore lost of power and energy. Big disappointment. I rode Ventos and Shamals before and I was very happy with those that’s why I tried these. Good thing I did not pay full price. Also the Aero spokes where not stable on crosswinds.

Similar Products Used: Campy Vento, Shamal, Spinergy RevX
John McNulty   Road Racer [Jun 08, 2002]
Strength:

Very Light, Strong, Reliable

These wheels are worth every penny. I have 2500+ miles on these and some races including crits. Still true and still silky smooth.