Campagnolo Proton wheelsets - clincher

Proton

Rob Powell   [Nov 04, 2013]
Strength:

Strong, like a bull. True, like Abe Lincoln. Lighter than most. Great hubs.

Discontinued. I'd kind of like some more.

I was running a set of Ksyrium ES 30th Anniv and a set of Spinergy Xaero Lites on two of my Campy bikes (steel), and got these on a bike I traded for. They are only 70g (total) heavier than the Xaero Lites, and are easily as strong and stay true as well or better than the Ksyriums. I went ahead and swapped them in for the Xaero Lites and haven't looked back. Perfect wheels for a fine steel frame, my day-in/day-out go-to bike.

jonas   Road Racer [Jun 05, 2011]
Strength:

Hubs, bearings, true, light and snappy, inexpensive, comfortable, super nice rolling.... Excellent wheelset.

Rear spoke broke after 7 years and 20k plus miles. Was thinking these things were indestructible. Almost is pretty good tho.

Seven years, probably 20,000 plus miles on these Protons, and finally had to replace bearing cones in front and broke a rear spoke! These wheels are superb. Super comfortable, perfectly true for 7 years (until spoke broke) and I use these on my brevet bike which I carry lots of stuff and do lots of long, cold and wet rides on. Very impressed with these wheels. Too bad they are not in the line up anymore!

Similar Products Used: Campy Eurus 2-way, Mavic, Aksium, Mavic R-Sys SL, Reynolds DV3kT, Shimano Ultegra, Hed Ardennes.
Kevin Levasseur   Road Racer [Aug 07, 2010]
Strength:

Strong, light, and damn snappy

pawl spring is a bit breakable if you catch it with a rag or odd item

I beat these wheels. I use them on my cross bike and on my road bike year round. I can't seem to kill them. I put thousands of miles on them and they keep breaking (stopping) when they should. As for staying true, I haven't had to put them on the rack yet. I've hit some major rocks and gone at bad angles. They do not quit.

Similar Products Used: Mavic SSL, Campag hub with GL330 and Campag hub with Mavic open Pro
CliffRider   Road Racer [Jul 30, 2010]
Strength:

Built tough but light and low profile design. Easy to rebuild the wheel/replace spokes if ever needed.

Noisy freehub, a Campy design signature kinda like a Harly. A major pain to mount on tires, seems like is this also another Campy trademark.

Great wheels if you can still find a set. I hit a major pothole at 15mph, which moved my handlebars and I thought cracked my frame. Final inspection showed zero damage to the frame and stem. Upon inspection of the wheels, I thought they where toast but a more visual inspection revealed no damge what so ever. I will be committed to Campagnolo Wheelset Forever....

Similar Products Used: Mavic SL/ES,custom built Mavics
Maestep   Recreational Rider [Mar 13, 2010]
Strength:

Campy Bearings
Perfectly true
Wheels strenght...can take anything I'm 220lbs
Rolling

No longer in campy line-up

This wheelset is fantastic, it is old school and not fancy, but the way it feels it is just smooth. Bearings are fantastics and roll forever, the rims are very strong and can take any terrain, potholes, etc with no problem.

Similar Products Used: Eston EA 90
Campagnolo Vento
Fulcrum Racing 5 Evolution
beakasaurus   Commuter [Apr 17, 2009]
Strength:

Acceleration, smoothness.

None so far.

I only have about 1000 miles on these since my kids have cut down my weekend rides, and I'm not a racer, but I ride +-3000 miles a year and these wheels are fast! I previously rode this frame with Bontrager Race Lites and these wheels are clearly a big cut above the Bontragers. I don't have a lot of experience with very high end wheels but these are a much better value, I think, than the Mavics I was considering.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race Lites
Tom Rooney   Recreational Rider [Mar 23, 2009]
Strength:

No upkeep - remain true no matter what

Very difficult tire change

I have had my protons 3 years, ride about 3000 miles per year and they remain perfectly true. They are bullet proof and pretty fast.

aweber   Road Racer [Apr 13, 2008]
Strength:

Stiff and light. If you are heavy and still want a wheelset, that is light and stiff and can deal with your power go with the protons. If you are a light rider you probably can ride them until you feel you need to tune up your bike with some new rims.

If you need to true them you need to take of the tire, however, so far (6 years and 50 000km ) i had not to do anything to the wheelset except replacing the casette.

I bought the first generation Protons 6 years ago and one week ago the first spoke broke, before that NO PROBLEMS whatsoever! I need to add that i am 6'4", used to way 200lbs raising (due to grad school) to 230lbs and i put on this wheelset over 50.000km with Potholes, jumping curbs until last week the first spoke broke. I am building up a new bike and guess what, it will be again a full campy with a proton wheelset!

Similar Products Used: Maviv Krysium, HED Alps
oily666   Recreational Rider [Jan 08, 2008]
Strength:

Put them on and go ride...for years.

Have reservations about using them in cold weather as fixing a flat with cold hands would not be fun. Tire changes are bad enough in my basement.

This is an update. 2008 will be my forth year on my Protons. I'm 171 pounds and even after 10K+ miles, these wheels HAVE NOT changed from the first time I rode them. They're straight, round and quick to react to climbs and accelerations. They also still provide a menacing appearance with my matte black Look frame. One of the truely great purchases in 35 years of cycling. Protons are the definition of "bang for the buck".

Similar Products Used: Velocity Aeroheads on Record 8 speed hubs which I still have on my "week long beer and food ride" steel Bianchi. 10 years old and have been trued only once. Its all about who build the wheel.
digrus   Road Racer [Nov 05, 2007]
Strength:

Take a beating and still come out true

4 years on they are a little heavy comepare to some of the alternatives.
The stickers are a bit cheap, and soon look tatty.

I've done 4 seasons on these Protons. They are still as true as the day I bought them. They've been used for summer training and road races, hit plenty of potholes but they shrug it all off. Looking a bit tatty now - might try the Neutrons as a replacement.