Campagnolo Shamal Clincher wheelsets - clincher

Shamal Clincher

Campagnolo Shamal Ultra Clincher Wheelset: Features USB (Ultra Smooth Bearings) ceramic bearings that ensure very low friction and enhanced performance. 24.5mm front and 28mm rear rims are extruded, CNC'd and then dynamically balanced...

Bad Juju   Recreational Rider [Aug 26, 2005]
Strength:

Ate up full carbon roadies on the downhills...Lotsa bling.

Dont try to test the weight capacity

I work as a messenger...would not recommend these wheels for this purpose...for intense rides on the weekend, these wheels are sufficient. I recently broke three spokes on the rear wheel trying to complete my first century (probably the stress from work I weigh probably 220 during work hours, 195 off.). I'm looking forward to rolling them again, when the mechanics come through on the repairs.

lverma   Triathlete [Jul 16, 2002]
Strength:

Noticibly faster all around. Great looks

Tad hard to accelerate, slight harsher ride.

These wheels make a superb training/racing set. They definitely are on the heavy side and are noticibly harder to accelerate but once up to speed they hold thier momentum well. I dont see that big a penatly in climbing. They also do transmit more road shock than my velocity areohead rims and spinergies.

Similar Products Used: Velocity Aerohead rims on Hugi Hubs. Spinergy Rev-X. Mavic Open Pro.
pastashop   Recreational Rider [Jan 24, 2002]
Strength:

The wheels seem to be very smooth in general and really excel at speeds > 20mph on smooth rooads - you really get into the quietness and responsiveness of the ride. "Like butter". :-)

The wheelset is almost 2kg, which is about 200-400g heavier than a similarly priced box-section wheelset would be. But in most situations, the aerodynamic benefit outweighs (!) the weight penalty.

Very smooth and sturdy. Great cornering. I bought the wheels used. 12-spoke front Shamal, 16-spoke rear Vento. Michelin Super Comp smooth tires (I much prefer smooth tires to tread...you''ve to try to see the difference!) Going downhill seems to be faster. I am 145lb, bike is 23. My riding buddy is 185lb, similar steel bike, and he would always outcoast me on the downhills. With these wheels, seems I can pretty much keep up - less drag. On the flats, they''re a joy. True and round, unperturbed by potholes or bumps - the extra aluminum in the rim and the rotating inertia help keep them extra stable. In all honesty, they don''t weight much more than my 32-spoked box-section wheelset did. They do feel great on the road though, and I don''t really notice much difference on the hills. The rest of my bike is heavy enough (~23 lbs) that the extra stability from the wheels is very reassuring. I''ve also been using them daily in rain or shine and even snow to commute - and train - and will probably race in the coming season - still true and round (cross your fingers).

Similar Products Used: Box-section Campy & Mavic rims with 32 and 36 spokes, both tubular and clincher.
Stefan Eichenberger   Recreational Rider [Mar 31, 2000]
Strength:

very aerodynamic (I am talking about the original '97 12 spoke FRONT wheel with cone bearings and ti-axle here which has got an even higher rim of 40 mm)
very solid (never trued in 3 years)
classic looks

none, really
perhaps a wee bit heavier than the current aero wheels

The coolest (and fastest?) aero wheel ever made!

Similar Products Used: I am a roadie virgin!
Tom Politzer   Triathlete [Apr 08, 2000]
Strength:

I've just started using my new Campy Shamals. I was a little worried before starting out because of the low spoke count, but I shouldn't have been. True to everything Campy does, these are a finely engineered piece of art. They are less stiff than other aero wheels I've used and maintain a good road "feel". They are noticeably faster than traditional spoked wheels. The new hub sets are easy to adjust and smooth. Considering the depth of the rim, they come in at a reasonable weight. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the wheels and would highly recommend them.

A great set of aero wheels.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Cosmic
Poch Ambrosio   Recreational Rider [Oct 14, 2000]
Strength:

Fast, light and bombproof. Great Campy craftsmanship and engineering, but that's a redundancy.

I would have said price if similar wheelsets from Mavic and Shimano weren't in the same range.

Going about 30kph, my rear tire hit a softball-sized rock dead-on after I mistimed my hop. I flatted but kept rolling to a controlled stop for another hundred meters. The wheel stayed perfectly true; the shop mechanic brought his guide to within a hair's breadth and not once did the rim graze it. He told me of another customer who's had a similar wheelset for 4 years and he's never had to true it.
These wheels really roll fast and seem to want to go faster; spin them in your hands and it's like Campy engineered a perpetual motion machine inside the hubs. Not to mention they look great in matte black.

Similar Products Used: None
Tony Brady   Road Racer [Apr 17, 2001]
Strength:

Low drag, feel smooth and responsive, they seem to help achieve the speeds you want to, comfortably.

none, have hit some large potholes and the wheels are unaffected.

The Shamals not only look very nice but you get an outstanding product, they are not adversly effected by the elements and perform to the standards you expect. Worth every penny.

Similar Products Used: cosmic elites, campag atlanta rims.
Tom   Recreational Rider [Jul 04, 2001]
Strength:

Fast. Looks great. The product I have is the Shamal 12-spoke clincher version.

Speciality wheel ... hidden nipples, special spokes. But it is really a time-trial wheelset so this is not a real problem. A bit heavy for mountain TT (hi profile Al rim).

I would only use Shamal for TT events only and over moderate hilly terrain. It is fast - I have come across many test results (drag) and Shamal has always been among the top performers. I am not too confident riding 12-spoke ... even 16-spoke wheels on everyday training, considering the trouble to get the wheel fixed. Having used the wheel in half a dozen 40-Km TT events each year for three/four years, the wheel stayed true.

Who should buy it ... anyone considering buying a TT wheelset. There are other excellent TT wheelsets out there in the market, so do some research.

Who shouldn/t buy it ... anyone considering buying an aero wheelset for everyday training. Get something more serviceable.

Similar Products Used: CXP-30
Lou D'Amelio   Recreational Rider [Jul 22, 2001]
Strength:

Excel on flatsat 20 plus mph, descending. Hold momentum well. Appear durable for everyday use although i've only had them for 3 months.

Weight over light conventional wheels (Chorus/Open Pro/ DT DB)about 200 grams extra - noticable when accelerating or climbing. Front wheel came with hub maladjusted and needed truing also). Finding parts difficult

I bought these from a UK mailorder company at a good discount ($500 for set). Were perfect out of box but hub loose on my second ride on them. Had I purchased locally, would have been no big deal to return to LBS. I screwed up the hub adjustment (long story),and broke the front axle. It was a mess to find a replacement. front wheel also came out of true after several more rides. Although different than a conventional wheelset, they're actually very easy to true - the 'special tool' mentioned by others is just a 5 mm nutdriver which you can buy at Sears for $5.00.
I have about 500 miles on them since sorting things out. They roll very well at high speeds on the flats and maintain their momentum very well as one would expect from the design. They anecdotally (please, no flames containing equations from the engineering types) add about 2 mph to my descending speeds. Not horrible to climb on them, but the extra weight is noticeable. They also accelerate a bit slowly, also presumably because of the weight.To use the Bicycling magazine format, buy them if:

You are a time trialist and Campyphile
You do a lot of flat rides
You are an A club rider or better

Don't buy them if you ride on rolling/hilly terrain, you are a weight freak, etc.

Lou D'Amelio