Campagnolo Shamal Ultra wheelsets - clincher

Shamal Ultra

The light alloy rims come from selected extrusions and are CNC-machined to optimize the mechanical specifications; they are welded rims with a ground braking surface and the spaces between the spokes are lightened by toroidal grinding. The rim is dynamically balanced; in other words the imbalance of the mass as a result of the non-equivalence of weight between joint and valve is compensated by the extension of the toroidal grinding.

Ron   [Sep 04, 2014]
Strength:

Rear wheel responsiveness while standing, sprinting, climbing is amazing; like a novelty that never gets old. Excellent brake feel. Stayed true so far after about 3,000 miles and some less than perfect NY roads.

I'm thinking........none

Campy know what they are doing. These wheels are worth the money as is my Record groupo.
How often do you feel you honestly got value for money? Here's a rare opportunity.
ps---The 2-way fit version have deeper side walls, hence (or maybe, hence) all the whining about getting the tire on. I have no interest in tubeless, so I just got the clincher version and my Vittorias go on with just my fingers.

Geo   [Aug 22, 2014]
Strength:

Stiff, Fast, Strong, Light

These are amazing wheels.. I have had Ksyrium SL, Easton EC90 (crap) and Reynolds DV46. I weigh 205. These wheels spin up fast, climb like a goat, and roll like an aero wheel.. My DV 46 are slightly better at 25-26mph, but the effort to accelerate these Ultras is the least of any wheel i have owned. On descents/braking, again, excellent... They are also very stable... I may have just been riding crap wheels all my riding life and there are lots of wheels out there like this..Just hope not to many folks buy these... :) P.S. The MSRP is NOT $668.. :) more like $1300...well worth it at 1300, but shop around a bit....

bimbike   Recreational Rider [Apr 10, 2014]
Strength:

Fast, Responsive, Light, Great Ride

Nothing

My comments are regarding the 2007 Shamal Ultra clinchers. I have logged over 20,000 miles on my set of wheels over the past 6 years on the rural roads of Mid/NorthEast with no issues what so ever and they have rolled over their far share of potholes and chipseal roads. No broken spokes and true as could be. They are by far the fastest set of "all round" wheels that I have owned, great for fast centuries, group ride sprints to the town line, and hill climbing. I will never be a mountain goat hill climber but these wheels have taken me over climbs that I would have died on with other wheel sets. Smooth! What a great ride. I pair the wheels with Vittoria Diamante Pro for a supple every day ride and good flat resistance.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium SL S Clincher
Don   [Jun 22, 2013]
Strength:

Great wheels. See response to Fez re. mounting tires.

None I have found.

Fez...I have always had problems mounting Michelins onto Campy rims. Try Schwalbe. The Ultremo ZX clincher is great for training/racing, and the DD is the ultimate for puncture protection. You can mount either one with your fingers on Shamals.

Fez   [Mar 10, 2013]
Strength:

The Shamals are lightweight and smooth rolling. I have ridden about 4k miles on them and no truing required. Looks aren't bad either. I use them with tubes and have not tried tubeless yet.

I not sure where the designer rides because it hasn't had the displeasure of tryng to repair a flat. Very dissapointed in Campy. I tried to install a new Michelin Krylion tire at home and it was da.... near impossible to get the tire on the wheel. I have flatted in the summer but I don't recall this much trouble getting the tire on. YOU BETTER HAVE GOOD TIRE WRENCHES, STRONG FINGERS AND ALOT OF PATIENCES...

Great wheel but the circumference must be reduced. The 700x23 tires I've tried are useless on this wheel. You should be able to get the tire on the wheel with your fingers, not possible with the Shamal. If anyone has had success with other tires, please respond.

Zachariah   Recreational Rider [Feb 20, 2012]
Strength:

Quiet
Fast
Stays fast
Stiff all-around
Better aero than most aluminum clinchers
Solid hubs

None. Best aluminum clincher I have tested yet.

This beautiful aluminum clincher performs as well as any mid-section carbon clincher...for a fraction of the cost! Even with the Shimano freehub - my 2009 Shamal Ultra(non-2-way fit) wheels weighed a respectable 1500g. The spin-up is incredibly fast and requires minimal effort, to keep rolling smoothly at speed. Me weighing 170lbs, there is zero lateral flex while standing on the climbs, either. The tripled spoke arrangement at the rear is nothing but pure genius and turns each crank revolution into unbridled forward thrust.

Descending on this wheel is like riding a magic carpet, as 50mph+ feels instills confidence and stability. This wheel smokes most Mavic and DT Swiss aluminum clinchers, simply because the Carbon Record hubs are like ceramics, in smoothness, quiet operation and reliability.

If you want a superb, light everyday wheel that climbs, descends and rolls with the pack - the Shamal Ultra is not only beautiful, but performs just like a fine Italian sportscar. Trust me, with this wheel - you are in NO HURRY to buy Zipps!!!!

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium SL
Mavic Ksyrium ES
Reynolds Solitude
Williams System 30
Steve Kelly   Recreational Rider [Feb 06, 2012]
Strength:

looks, silent drive system, low mass

none yet

I bought them to replace my 12 year old Kyseriums. I found them to roll very smoothly and disappear beneath the bike. The freewheel is eerily silent. Makes a dura ace sound like a farm tractor. I like the distinctive spoke pattern and now my bike is 100% campy. Record 10 speed, carbon fiber compact crankset, shamal ultra wheels. How sweet it is!

Similar Products Used: Mavic Kyserium
Dixon   Recreational Rider [Apr 30, 2010]
Strength:

- super stiff
- fast spinup
- very beafy, robust feeling
- quiet rear hub - almost too quiet
- overall feels as fast as an aero wheel
- no crosswind issues

could be expensive if you buy them retail

I had a pair of DT Swiss Mon Chasseral wheels before these 2010 Campy Shamal Ultra 2-Way fits. The Shamals simply blow the Mon Chasserals away in terms of stiffness and overall durability. The Shamals cost a little more than the DT's but they're worth it. I weigh approx 197lbs and these wheels simply shine - all the power simply gets transferred w/o hesitation - spin up is fast and effortless.
I recently rode the Los Angeles "City of Angels" ride and the course had many hills. The ceramic bearings were amazing. I would pass everyone going downhill. It felt like somehow I was cheating!
The Hutchinson Atoms tubeless that I installed are incredible. They grip very well and the ride quality is very smooth and cushioned. Once installed, you pump them up and the beads pop into place on the rim.
I've heard other say that tubeless tires are difficult to mount on Campy 2-Way fit wheels. The reality is, I tried mounting Conti GP 4000s to my Reynolds Strike wheels and it was just as difficult or harder than installing the Hutchinson Atoms on the Shamals. When the tires are new (and especially when they're cold and unstretched, they are difficult to install at first but w/ a little patience and good plastic levers, I installed the tires in about 7 minutes/wheel.
A few months later, I tried un-installing the Atoms and it was easy - came off in less than a minute. Re-installing took 2 minutes approx (the tires were nice and stretched at that point).
Overall, no other aluminum wheel can match the performance of the Shamal Ultra 2-Ways.

Similar Products Used: -DT Swiss Mon Chasseral
- Reynolds Strikes
- SRAM S60
sdlytle   Road Racer [Mar 11, 2010]
Strength:

Beautiful looking and light wheels.

Couldn't mount anythig to them successfully.

Beware! What a terrible experience. Do not buy the Campagnolo Shamal 2 Way fit wheels. I ordered them and was so excited to ride them. Problem is, the rims are so tight, that Michelin Pro Race 3s would stretch to the 2 way fit rim, neither would the Conti Grand Prixs. These things are TIGHT! Forget about changing a tire on the roadside. Broken tire levers.... Ripped tubes.... Then I made the decision to go tubeless. The Hutchinson Atoms would mount but with incredible difficulty. Then, I put air in them and the Atoms leaked between the sidewall and tread (not the hook bead). I gave up. I sent them back. No Campy Go. I'm going back to clinchers.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium ES, Ambrosio Chronos w/ Campy Record, Dura Ace, HED, Corima.
tomcarne   Recreational Rider [Jan 18, 2010]
Strength:

1460 grams is pretty hard to beat. Exceptionally strong, rigid and low fuss wheel (seriously low fuss wheels, fit and forget). No spoke holes (now why doesn't everyone do this). Carbon hub looks pretty cool and is one of the main differences between Shamals and Eurus wheels

Can be ridiculously expensive if you don't shop around. You seriously got problems if you can find fault with the wheels.

I have the 2 Way Fit version. Although I'm not in love with Hutchinson tyres and so the tubeless benefits are not being enjoyed I would still say these are pretty much unbeatable in value and performance for a Aluminium Wheel. Once you start shaving weight from this point you have to sacrifice something. Well worth shopping around and can be bought for a song.