Cane Creek Aerohead Road wheelsets - clincher

Aerohead Road

The rims are lights (410g), low-profile and endowed with machined braking sidewalls. Available in 700 and 650c and DB stainless and titanium spokes. Price range $550 - 700/pair

Freeagent35   Recreational Rider [Jun 13, 2006]
Strength:

Quite strong and smooth. Nipples around the hub mean that they spin up/climb faster than most. Extremely reasonable price (About $250, usually, when I see them).

Not as aero as some, rear hub is "tight", even after 3 years. I keep it so it just is a tiny bit loose (a small amount of wiggle) so it spins smoothly.

Starting season #4. See my prior posts as this is a continuation of a long term review. After 3 years I like these as much as ever. Exceptional wheels for the money. They are a pain to true, but they rarely come out of true. I am a decent sized rider (180 lbs) and ride hard, including a lot of climbs and sprints. Despite this, these wheels have held up extremely well. Have never had my freehub click or slip (can't even say that about my SSC Ksyriums that I paid 3x as much for). They are not as fast as SSCs, etc., but up to 24 mph they are quite good. If you climb and sprint a lot (criteriums also come to mind) they are hard to beat. Make sure to get some parts from Cane Creek (the spoke wrench is special; for about $15 I got one for shop, a smaller one for patch kit/bike, and a few spokes/nipples. I have yet to change a spoke).

Similar Products Used: Shimano (including 8 & 9 Ultegra/open Pro, etc., Ksyrium SSC SL, Spinergy (yuk).
wannarace   Road Racer [Jun 05, 2006]

good solid wheels, I use them on my cross bike(only for light off road riding, though) so far no problems, probably best bang for your buck

kinaidos   Recreational Rider [Jun 04, 2006]
Strength:

Light, stiff, fast, easy access drive side flange, price.

Straight gauge straight pull spokes are inherently weaker than j-bend swaged spokes.

I love the wheels for the most part. They ride great. They are stiff and fast. What more do you need. Oddly the wheels I've got are marked Aerohead SG but have a volos rim - the aerohead oc rim. I had my first spoke break at about 4,000 miles, but for a low count straight gauge wheel, that's not too bad. I love that you don't need to remove the cassete to replace a drive side spoke. That's enough to assure me that I can use these on long rides provided I bring spokes and the tiny wrench.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open pro with shimano hubs.
braston   Recreational Rider [Jan 28, 2006]

Very weak spokes.

See my reviews under the Aerohead SG/LX heading. The spokes on these wheels break if you look at them wrong. Extremely unreliable. The frustration of broken spokes on every other ride means these wheels will be banished to the garage forever.

Similar Products Used: Easton/Velomax, Ritchey, Bontrager
galanz   Recreational Rider [Nov 26, 2004]
Strength:

Looks, durability, price.

Spoke tension too light, could have just been mine.

The spoke tension on these was too low when I got them, and went slightly out of true quickly. Thankfully I have a buddy who's a master builder and he trued them up with proper tension and they've been great since. The hubs aren't a smooth at my Records, but for the price I can't complain. Overall they've been way better than I expected for the price.

Similar Products Used: Lots of conventional 28 to 36 spoke wheels, my next wheels are going to be Campy Eurus'.
Freeagent35   Recreational Rider [Aug 23, 2004]
Strength:

Weight, price. Spin up faster than anything else on the road. (great for sprints and quick, steep climbs.

Use an unusual spoke wrench. Call the folks at Cane Creek and they will set you up with spare spokes and wrenches. Funny thing, though, I haven't needed either one in over 3000 miles of crappy Indiana roads.

Mid way through my second season with these and I STILL have not had to true them. I didn't think much in the beginning as the bearings take a while to loosen up. Give them time, and a little Boshield/Tri Flow on the edge seals and you shall be rewarded. I doubt there is a better wheel for climbing, especially at this price. Accelerate very quickly, are stiff, yet give a very comfortable ride. (far less stiff than my Ksyrium SSC SLs on my other bike)

Similar Products Used: Ksyrium SSC SL, Spinergy SR 3, Ultegra w/ Open Pro.
kanekikapu   Road Racer [Jun 09, 2004]
Strength:

fast spinups and they stay true forever, i haven't true mine ever since i brought them and they're still in true. rim profile is nice, semi aero and easy to handle in crosswinds.

it's not the lightest wheels, but its worth it. good training wheels

i don't remember whether i did/did not write a review about my wheels but this is it. i've been using my set of aerohead for close to a year and i am very pleased with its performance in terms of price i pay. they're very sturdy without being super heavy, its still very smooth after a year of ridng in san franciso/ marin

Similar Products Used: ritchey pro wheelsets. they're nice too until i crashed my set. mavic cosmos, ultegra/open pros
Eidetic   Recreational Rider [Jan 03, 2004]
Strength:

Lateral strength. Stays true for months. Very stable in corners and descents. GREAT support from Cane Creek on parts. Looks great. Easy to service (but see note on pre-loading). Great prices through outlets like Nashbar and Sierra Trading Post. The Aeroheads/Volos would be worth twice the price if the bearings problems were solved.

Bearings are the worst part of the wheelset. If the rear open bearings aren't preloaded exactly right (very lightly), the rear wheel turns like mud. All the sealed bearings wore out by 5,000 miles. Don't lose the special wrench. Also, if you manage to knock a rim out of round (hard to do, but I did it), you will likely need to rebuild the wheel, since spokes will keep breaking unless you have a magician who can get the rim round again (but this is true of most strong rims).

The Aeroheads, and Volos, are great wheels for heavy riders. I'm 6'2", 195 lb. I ride about 100 miles a week, with some road surfaces being "secondary road, knobby ashphalt". The wheels have almost no flex, even when pushing hills or sprinting. There is some flex, given my weight, but very little flex compared to say, Mavic Open Pros. If you're over 190 lb., these wheels should be on your short list.

Similar Products Used: Open Pros, Shimano 7701, Campy Eurus.
took   Road Racer [Oct 01, 2003]

cheap rear hub bearings front wheel flexes

just an update for my previous review. 1200 miles on these wheels now and the durability is definitely there. I've trued the wheels once at 400 miles and they hardly needed it. since then i haven't needed to true. very strong wheels for the low spoke count. downside w/ these is the drive side bearings in rear hub. not so smooth. also, w/ 24 spokes the front wheel flexes when i'm out of the saddle. makes a bit of noise when sprinting, but not a big deal.

Wheelsuker   Recreational Rider [Sep 11, 2003]
Strength:

Lateral stiffness. True. Relatively light, very light for the money.

Weight, compared to high dollar wheels.

Nice wheels. Super true, stiff relatively light. CC's website indicates that these are rotationally lighter than Rolf Sestrieres...they don't seem that light. But, I break spokes on my Setrieres (178 lbs) and I can't see that happening with these. They seem to descend well, and roll prety well. I love standing up to sprint on these wheels. Good all around wheel.

Similar Products Used: Rolf Sestrieres, Ultegra/OP, 105/Mavic CX 22.