Cane Creek Aerohead SG/LX wheelsets - clincher

• Rim:Aerohead 6106-T6 aluminum
  • Weight:750g

[May 28, 2015]
Kris Kahl

Strength:

comfortable, strong wheels!

I have ridden a pair of these that I bought off ebay 4 years ago. I have no idea the mileage on them then, but I have ridden them a lot in the last 4 years, on several different high end carbon frames. These wheels made every frame more comfortable. I just ran 25c tires. Have had no spoke issues, no bearing issues- they just run and run, no complaints. I think I paid $185 for the pair then. I have several other wheel option (including some Ultegra tubless and Zipp 303 clinchers) for race days, but these are my go to training wheels, and I ride them on all the long fondo and charity rides. Just mounted some Specialized 25/28 Roubaix tires on them, and am riding them on my Trek Domane carbon- it is like a magic carpet ride!

[Jun 15, 2006]
scofam5

Strength:

They stay true, light, fast acceleration and climbing, sealed bearings. Cane Creek supports their products well.

Have to take off casette to true rear drive side, the spokes are hard to come by. Not a current Cane Creek wheel set, made specially for Performance Bike I was told

I bought these wheels when I built my bike last summer and put about 500 miles on them with no problems. Until this last weekend on a metric when I broke a rear drive side spoke climbing a hill on a turn while shifting. Additionally I currently weigh 240 pounds (tough winter). So, I think this is a pretty good wheel set, even if it was made from old stock for Performance Bikes (per their own product group). Finding silver replacement spokes wasn't easy, but once I wrote Cane Creek about the problem, they offered to send me out some spokes free of charge. Can't ask for more then that.

[Mar 21, 2006]
kinaidos

Strength:

Responsive, stiff, fast. At clearance prices these are a super steal for handbuilt wheels, especially given these light stiff rims and the oc rear rim.

Obviously not for heavier riders. Don't let the SG fool you. That's there for stiffness, not strength. If you weigh more than about 175 you will probably break these.

So far so good, although I've only ridden on them for a month or so. They perform very well. The hub is super responsive, the sg spokes, high tension, and low rotational weight make them really fast wheels. I am a tiny bit worried whenever I get sg spokes because they tend to break not bend. But we'll see. If any geomtery is gonig to be kind to them, this one will. I wouldn't ride these things if I weighed more than say 175 though.
Don't get me wrong. They've done all the right things with these wheels - oc rims, 28 spoke drive wheel, large drive side flange, high tension spokes. But a 2x drive - radial left rear wheel with 2.0 sg spokes is just not going hold up a heavy rider for long.

Various handbuilt Mavic open-pro/shimano wheels.

[Jan 28, 2006]
braston

Strength:

If you don't mind broken spokes every other ride, they have a nice feel, look sweet and accelerate fast. Hubs are nice and smooth. Cane Creek customer service is decent.

Broken spokes, broken spokes,broken spokes!!! Very unreliable wheelset.

This is a follow up to my last two posts. After getting this wheelset re-worked for the second time, I let them sit in my closet for 6 months since I bought a new bike with Eastons and had an alternate set of wheels on my old bike. Today, I took them for the first ride since they were repaired. After just 30 miles the rear wheel lost another spoke. This is absolutely frustrating!!! I have never had so many problems with a wheelset. Cane Creek makes a lot of good products but I will never buy a wheelset from them again. My Easton (Velomax) Circuits are now my favorites and my Ritcheys have thousands of miles on them with only one broken spoke. I would highly recommend the Eastons over the Cane Creeks. They ride just as nice, accelerate fast, are lighter, and are much more dependable.

Easton/Velomax Circuit, Ritchey Deep Section, Bontrager

[Jul 28, 2005]
braston

Strength:

See previous review (7/22/05). Cane Creek customer service is great if you contact them directly.

Durability? Will test again after proper re-build.

THIS REVIEW IS A FOLLOW UP FROM MY REVIEW OF 7/22/05 (see below). After writing my last review, I e-mailed Cane Creek to express my frustration with the dealer's inability to obtain replcacement spokes. They e-mailed back with an apology, said the black spoke kit for these wheels was in stock and that they would send me the kit right away at no cost as a result of my trouble. They couldn't understand why the dealer said they were unavailable. At any rate, the spokes are on their way. I will have my favorite mechanic rework this wheel and will put it to the test again. I hope this wheelset is as durable (after a proper build) as the other reviews say it is.

Ritchey, Bontrager

[Jul 22, 2005]
braston

Strength:

Great price, smooth front hub, nice looks, fairly light for a training wheel. Wheel stays true enough to get home if you break a spoke.

Weak spokes. Difficult to get replacement spokes in black color. Poor customer service. Cane Creek told dealer to go find spokes from another manufacturer.

They look durable but I broke a spoke on a smooth flat ride after only a couple hundred miles. Supergo tried to get black replacement spokes from Cane Creek for several months. I finally had them replace it with a silver spoke. After only 25 more miles, broke another spoke... again on a flat, smooth, easy ride. Durability is questionable and spokes aren't as easy to get as Cane Creek's web site says they are. Supergo is selling tons of these "closeout" wheels. There are going to be alot of unhappy riders looking for replacement spokes.

Ritchey Deep Section (light and durable - thousands and thousands of miles with only 1 broken spoke)

[Nov 24, 2004]
RoadieRob

Strength:

Strong - I have several thousand miles on my set and never, NEVER touched a spoke on either wheel to true it. Amazingly strong.

Strong comes at the price of weight. Also, the front has a very nice pair of cartridge bearings but the rear is a base Shimano LX hub with "fair" bearings.

If you are building a bike from the frame up and need a durable wheelset, get these. If you have 32-spoke basic wheels, go elsewhere for lightweight and chi-chi factor. These are strong, durable hoops meant soley for training or light touring. If you want a race set, spend a $100 more and find closeout speciality wheels.

Rolf, Amer Class, Keymet, Bontrager, and many others.

[Sep 19, 2004]
moc

Strength:

strong, light, staight spokes, great looks and cheap Buy these wheels, then replace bearings with a ceramic set and you will have a world class set of wheels for next to nothing!

The bearings, as with most wheelsets, should have less friction. I am going to hunt down some ceramics to replace the stock set.

strong, but light weight wheel set priced just right These are a set of wheels you can train, commute and even trash. I ride downhill as well as road, so i am brutal to every bike I touch. These wheels are great! They have survived my beatings and come back for more.

various shimano Wheelsets and Mavics (I really like the Mavics - just not the price).

[Jun 26, 2004]
Shane

Strength:

Looks Weight Tough as nails

This wheelset is pretty lite at 1750 grams. I live in Santa Cruz CA and the roads are very bad. These get a beating every ride and have not had to touch them in 4k miles. I weigh 175lbs.