Cane Creek Strados Disc wheelsets - clincher

Cane Creek Strados Disc wheelsets - clincher

The Strados Disc wheels deliver the Crono excellence in a disc braking compatible 700c wheelset. The straight gauge Leader spokes and sturdy 25mm mid-profile rims provide proven Crono durability. The rim's machined braking track also allows usage of traditional rim pinching brakes.

[May 05, 2008]
huboon

Strength:

low rotational mass; nice looking

may be bit of a pain to true if necessary

When your road/cross bike has disc brakes, you have very few choices for wheel upgrades. I had been considering the Strados wheels for some time when I noticed that Cane Creek had a special through their website.

Once I got the wheels assembled (rotors, cassette, etc.) I noticed they didn't seem much lighter than the Cannondale stock wheels. That perception changed once I got rolling, however. The spokes are mounted “inside out,” if you will, with the adjuster nuts at the hub. This seems to reduce the rotating mass substantially, making the wheels seem lighter than they actually are. Acceleration is quick.

The only drawback I can foresee is that they might be a hassle to adjust, should the wheel need to be trued. The wheelset includes the adjuster wrench, but it looks like you may need to remove the disc to get to the nuts on the left side. So far this hasn't affected me. After 6 months and nearly 2000 miles of fairly rough service, they're still perfect.

I also like the look of the wheels, which can basically be described as “black.” All in all, I got a pretty good wheelset upgrade for about $500.

OVERALL