Cane Creek Strados wheelsets - clincher

Cane Creek Strados wheelsets - clincher

The Strados wheels deliver the Crono excellence straight-up and give you a pure shot of next-best-thing-to-flying speed. The straight gauge Leader spokes and sturdy 25mm mid-profile rims provide our proven Crono durability. Who rides it: All kinds of road riders—the ride is contagious.

[Jun 06, 2008]
BikeGodFromEast

Strength:

good bearings

no lateral stiffness. proprietary spokes , not actively supported by cane creek

I hate them. AS soon as I bought them cane creek discontinued selling them . Proprietary spokes, cost about 25 dollars for a set of 9 mixed lengths. About as stiff as a wet noodle. Center black plastic piece that covers the spoke nipples on hubs vibrates. Overall, I do not reccommend these wheels unless you can get them for less than 100$.

[Aug 30, 2007]
babybaylie

Strength:

They have nice techy appearance. I like the design of the hubs/spoke nipples which decreases rotational weight and makes them feel ligyter than their actual weight. I've ridden on bumpy pavement and just did 18 miles on a gravel trail; the wheels seem pretty sturdy. Low price is nice too.

Had problems mounting a pair of 700x32 Panaracer tires, which tend to run small to begin with. The beads popped off the rim, causing the tubes to explode, when pumping to pressure. Since these wheels are also marketed for cyclocross that was very surprising. However, downsizing to 28s (Michelins, which tend to run big - go figure) seems to have completely resolved that issue so far. Proprietary parts; hopefully it won't ever become an issue but I wonder what's going to happen if I pop a spoke.

Very good wheelset for the money.

Basic stock weinmann Z-19s and Mavics a long time ago.

[Apr 16, 2007]
Russ A.

Strength:

Strong,quick,nipples in the hub.

A little heavy

The first thing I did was change the spokes to C-XRAY spokes for weight and strength.These are great wheels,super stiff and quick,not to mension strong.These are better than the Racelites I had.

Bontrager Race,Racelites,Rolf

[Mar 07, 2007]
Unkosama

Strength:

Strong, low rotational weight.

A bit heavy, fairly flexy

I put these wheels on to replace the Rolf Vector Comps that came with my 2001 Trek 5200. I immediately noticed the lower rotational weight when starting to accelerate. The feel a little sluggish up hills, I think that is mostly from their poor lateral stiffness. They stay true through just about anything, even after hitting a pothole that sprained my wrist. My biggest complaint is that they when I get out of the saddle, they flex so bad from side to side, I have to leave my brake calipers half open so they don't rub.

Rolf Vector Comp, various Shimano hub mavic rim combinations.

[Aug 20, 2006]
Wes

Strength:

Bearings. They will roll forever. Durability.

Well, if you're looking for a really lightweight wheelset, look elswhere.

I bought these as everyday training wheels because they have a reputation of durability. After about 3000 miles there have been no issues. The bearings are typical Cane Creek smooth and they are as true as the day I recieved them (they were true right out of the box) I've hit some nasty potholes and manhole covers and they haven't had any problems. Although they aren't super light, for the price, as bombproof everyday wheels they are great.

Bontrager Select, Cane creek aerohead, vaious shimano/mavic combinations

[Aug 11, 2006]
Peter Turner

Strength:

Durability, Smooth ride

Very smooth wheels. Compared with Mavic Open Pro's, the spin up and acceleration was noticably better. I have a pair of Aerohead SG's and the Strados seem to be just as durable with little need for truing.

Aerohead SG's