Cane Creek Volos wheelsets - clincher

Volos

• Volos gives you raceability with extra durability for rough courses and training
  • Its asymmetrical rear rim provides better dish and more balanced tension to stay true longer
  • So it’s practical, uncompromising, and wicked fast

jschmidlapp   Road Racer [Apr 05, 2010]
Strength:

Durability, prices, MADE IN AMERICA!!

N/A

I own a total of 6 sets of Cane Creek wheels; 2 sets of Aros 58 Carbon deep section wheels (one with Ti spokes, the other with Sapim CX-Ray), 1 set of Aros 38 Cabon clinchers, 1 set of Volos clinchers, and 2 sets of Volos XL clinchers. Every wheel set is perfect. I use two different bikes and was fortunate enough at the time to have the cash to afford a set each of Shimano and Campag wheels. Admittedly, I am a wheel junkie, but of all the bike equipment I've ever purchased, Cane Creek wheels have been the best investment yet. As with all the other reviews, Cane Creek service is first rate and their products are bomb-proof. Thousands of miles on Dallas and Seattle roads later, I still rave about these wheels. The Aros 58's are so light and smooth, using them in races is like cheating. The Volos XLs simply do not go out of true ... EVER. And the Aros 38's are on par with Fulcrum Race 1's or Mavic Ksyrium SLs only several hundred dollars less.

Robert Alcasabas   Recreational Rider [Jan 05, 2010]
Strength:

Durability, acceleration, ease to mount my Hutchinson or Continental tires, light weight of 1640gms

Only 21mm profile (if I had to get picky)

Have about 3000 miles on this wheelset, and still are true. I am 5'10" and 178lbs. These wheels have taken a beating from Texas roads in both the sun and the rain. They have survived 4 MS 150's.They spin incessantly and wind up to accelerate effortlessly. VERY happy with this AMERICAN made purchase. Too bad they don't make them anymore.

Similar Products Used: various Mavic, Velocity,FSA and Araya rims.
Timothy G. Bellwood   Recreational Rider [Aug 02, 2008]
Strength:

Very smooth, great acceleration, price, overall value

Aesthetics are good not great. rear hub a little noisy but nothing compared to the Fulcrums.

Oh my word,what a difference wheels make. I just replaced my Fulcrum 7's with these Cane Creek Volos XL's. Like night and day. Literally twice as easy to get up hills which we have plenty here in Tennessee. They have so much more stiffness and responsiveness I can't believe it. They are also very inexpensive as I only paid $279 at bike nashbar on sale and then a 20% off coupon. Can't beat these for the price.Very smooth ride. It is shame they are not going to make these anymore. I was concerned about this but after e-mailing Cane Creek they assured me they would service them. I have heard their customer service is first rate. They are also US made!

Similar Products Used: Fulcrum 7's. Just plain bad wheels
Robert Alcasabas   Road Racer [Nov 30, 2007]
Strength:

Smooth bearings, straight spokes and bombproof. Technological marvels. Easy to mount my Hutchinson Fusion Long Distance tires on.

I learned the HARD way - Assymmetrical rear rim absolutely requires a wide rim tape. It finally sunk in after 5 flats - DUH!!!Don't mess up like me.

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME........ that Cane Creek is no longer manufacturing road wheels. These wheels are great looking, strong,light, and accelerate like a banshee!! I am 5'11' and 180lbs and I bought these to upgrade from my Velocity Spartcus Pros, which I thought were excellent and top notch - till I got these babies. The speed and climbing you can attain with these wheels will astound you, and you should feel patriotic since they are made in AMERICA.
I am getting another pair of Cane Creeks for my TREK time trial bike.

Similar Products Used: Velocity Spartacus Pros, Velocity Spartacus, FSA RD-80, Mavic CXP-33, CXP-21, CXP-10 and old Araya rims.
Jeff D   Road Racer [Oct 23, 2007]
Strength:

Stiffness! Higher spoke count (24/28) makes the bike noticeably stiffer, especially out of the saddle. This makes the bike/wheel system more efficient, faster, and much more satisfying to ride. Quickness: lower rotational inertia is evident.

I think my rim failure was a fluke, and they made up for it with customer service.

This is an update to my previous review. When changing tires recently I found 10 cracks on the rear rim corresponding to spoke positions (drive side). I have never heard of such a failure from these wheels and believe it to be a fluke. Cane Creek rebuilt the wheel, including an upgrade to the newer 3.5 hub, free of charge...didn't even ask to see my purchase receipt to ensure it was under warranty (it was). Wheel came back perfectly dished and true in 2 weeks. Customer service during the re-build was great. While they are no longer building "geared" wheels I can't say enough about the quality of the company and their products. Buy American!

2moremiles   Recreational Rider [Oct 19, 2007]
Strength:

Stiff, light enough, ride'em and forget about them

ZERO

Update to 7/6/07 post. Now have 3500 miles on the wheels and there near perfect.

Similar Products Used: Ksyrium SL - broken spokes every 1,000 miles which ruins the rim
Velocity Spartan - Rides like Friday night pasta
Performance Titan - maybe if your under 150 lbs
fishey72   Road Racer [Aug 05, 2007]
Strength:

Spoke design allows from small momemt of inertia, and accelerate like crazy.
Stable for true and round.
Easy to adjust and maintain.

My need to adjust the bearings a few times, very very easy to do. May also need to check the axel for tightness, again very easy to do.

I have been riding on these wheels for two years now and about 7k miles with no problems. Never even trued. Finally this week I hit a piece of metal in the road that skewered the tire and went through both walls of the the rim. The rim is destroyed, but still true! On paper they do not seem very light, but it is their small moment of inertia that makes them shine. They accelerate with ease.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Bontrager, and many many more
Jeff D   Recreational Rider [Jul 19, 2007]
Strength:

These wheels are strong, stiff, and fast.

Ride a little less comfortable than the Shimanos they replaced.

I bought these as an upgrade to Shimano whr-550s on a Scott Alu bike. I have the "team issue" variant with CX-Ray spokes. Out of the box the rear wheel was slightly out of true, and the front was perfect. 2500 miles later they are in exactly the same condition. Very smooth rolling, and very stiff out of the saddle...this was the biggest difference I noticed. Added stiffness also makes handling much more predictable near the limit, and the difference is not subtle. Very stable in crosswinds, but easily reach into the 50s bombing downhill. I weigh 175 and they have held up beautifully. Plus, they're handmade in North Carolina. I'm very satisfied.

2moremiles   Recreational Rider [Jul 06, 2007]
Strength:

Strong, light enough, looks decent, close the QR and forget about them.

None manifesting after 1500 miles.

Bought these after suffering through a pair of Mavic Ksyriums SL's with broken spokes and rim failures every 1,000 miles.

The Cane Creek Volos are nearly as light and have stayed nearly true after 1500 miles. I'm 6'3" and 210. The wheels take it without complaint.

I recommend the Cane Creeks a pair of them is just a little more than rebuilding a Mavic when it fails. Besides you can suppport North Carolina instead of the French.

Happy 4th.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Kysriums SL (expensive consumable-good for 1,000 miles then junk), Velocity Spartan (junk), Performance Titans (good for 600 miles)
darrenrx   Road Racer [Jul 14, 2006]
Strength:

Relatively light. Good price. Stay true. Good cornering and acceleration.

None really. I had to straighten one aero spoke to line up correctly after a few rides but haven't touched anything since. The pre-load adjustment took a little tweaking after a few rides but they're unbelievable smooth bearings.

Great wheelset. This is my second pair of Cane Creeks. I had a set of Aeroheads that I was happy with and upgraded to the Volos Team Issue (aero spokes). They are relatively light, corner great and there's no 'spin up'. You stand to sprint / climb / etc and they react. Some combination of the hub mounted nipples and / or stiffness. They don't seem to beat me up any worse than my training wheels and I haven't had to true them since I got them almost a year ago. Great product.