DT Swiss R-1900 wheelsets - clincher

R-1900

• Handbuilt DT-Swiss wheels with optimized components
  • Sleeved jointed single-eyelet rim (19.3wx30.3h)
  • 370-inspired hubs with stainless steel bearings
  • DT-Swiss bladed aero spokes with ProLock nipples
  • Includes wheel bags, rim strips, and quick release skewers
  • 830g/1070g (1900g set): black with black/white decals and black spokes/nipples

• User Reviews (9)

Brian   [Aug 23, 2015]
    Strength:

These came set up on a Focus Izalco. I did not know what to expect. I had gone through six wheelsets, some clunky and some just okay. These were a step up. Not super light, but neither am I at 190 lbs.
    strengths are - r liable, consistent, strong base for sprinting, climbing and cornering. Could I ride lighter? Probably. But am I complaining? No.

Brass nipples prone to fast corrosion. Stickers too many and peel off . Paint preferable.

I would opt for a head again. Unless I win th lottery. But wheels should not cost more than the bike!

Robbert   [Aug 03, 2015]
    Strength:

- Very stiff
    - Durable
    - Fun to ride

- On the heavy side

Got this wheelset on my bike, never failed me (95kg 1.90m). Fun to ride and very predictable.

Jarno   [Jan 18, 2015]
    Strength:

Durable, cheap

Heavy, get wobbly at hard accelleration, they wear readily

I bought my first racing bike with these wheels included. I rode 17000 kilometers with them. They are everyting you might expect from a low-cost wheel, yet still they lasted till the very end: the braking rim is totally worn out, the rear-wheel bearings grind audibly and the freewheel-body is a bit wobbly. But what to expect after spending a long summer riding sprint races and cyclo's on them? Yes, I broke spokes, but they didn't pop out of the blue

They might not give you an edge in flat out sprints, nor offer they any advantage goin uphill; but I find these wheels truly fun to ride on. Now they'll give way to a much higher-end wheelset, they will be thanked, but they won't be missed.

Gideon   Road Racer [May 02, 2012]
    Strength:

Sort of Aero
    Good looking

Bearings
    Spokes
    Quick release
    Freewheel

Bought the wheels with my new bike, because supposedly they would be strong and stiff. What a dissapointment. As long as you go straight, sure they'll do the job, bu so will the cheapest wheels. In sprinting or in corners I have to fully open my brakes, and the rims will still touch them. Within the first year my freewheelbody got stuck, a couple of months later I broke a spoke for no good reason, and now the bearings are completely destroyed. Moreover, the quick release of my rear wheel has wore off, doesn't work anymore. O yeah, and the freewheel doesn't always lock on/stay locked on.

The Wheels aren't any better than my Shimano WH-R540, which are many years old.

tim   Triathlete [Nov 17, 2011]

bearings, after sales not interested even with an apparent 2 year warrenty

having managed to only get 13 months from the rear and about 4500miles wasnt too impressed with how long they have lasted.
    Ride well when they are new but 13 months is not along time

JEFFREY BARRON   Road Racer [Aug 29, 2011]
    Strength:

Cheap.

Spokes/strength/DT Cust. Svc (will only re-build once sent back-will not replace)

I've ridden Mavic Elites for 6 years and love them...Got a new Focus Izalco and they came with the R1900's...I was hesitant because they are pretty cheap wheels on such a nice, expensive ($3600.00) bike, but my shop said they are strong and sturdy for big guys like me (6'1", 190). In 2 months, 3 spokes have popped in the back for no reason! Cheap spokes...heavy...Do yourselves a favor and pay a couple hundred more and go with Mavic...Elites, or a few more for SL's...these are going back and I'm done.

Similar Products Used: Ksyrium Elites / Open Pro's
    RoadKill21   Commuter [Jan 20, 2009]
    Strength:

- Very strong, hasn't gone out of true yet.
    -Aero/high rim - nice to look at

-flexes a little with sharp turns
    -noisy, everyone will hear you coming from behind if you stop pedaling
    -I'm not sure what to purchase next if these fail, can't beat the price I paid for them

I'm a commuter/recreational cyclist mostly.
    I use the DT-Swiss R1900 on my commuter bike, a Cube SL Road Comp 2008.
    I love the R1900, cheap (got a great deal), strong, reliable.
    They look great (but get dirty quickly with the weather I'm having lately :-{ )
    They are easy to keep clean, aero spokes and high rim and all.

Survived an "iceskating crash" during winter (snowfall/rain and -5 celsius, gets quite slippery :D)
    I went down quite hard, the rear wheel & skewer recieved a hard blow, I didn't even had to adjust anything! Could keep on riding like nothing happened!

Similar Products Used: This was my first "expensive" wheelset, it was for sale in regular stores for 345 Euro (Netherlands), got it for 220 Euro! from an online store.
    xander   Road Racer [Aug 13, 2008]
    Strength:

stif, looks, durability, swiss made!
    price (290 EUR)

weight

Being a student, i had to look for a cheaper pair of wheels. In 2007, the dt-range, including the RR1850 stole my hart. But those are very pricy for such heavy wheels.
    So i waited a year and thaha, the R1900 was born.
    I have build up 5000kms with them, including a 5 day stage trough the alpes and boy, they are rock solid. Went over 90km/h and didn't even notice it.
    they make my 6 year old pinarello look en feel like new.

a must buy for somewone who doesn't care about weight.

Similar Products Used: handmade CXP33 with ultegra hub
    lewdreed   Road Racer [Apr 01, 2008]
    Strength:

Mountainbike technology and durability transformed into a stylish, fast and robust racing / training wheeset. HUBS - a little heavy, but I know they're gonna be around for a LOT of miles. STIFF! LOOKS - the graphics and fat bladed spokes look awesome. VALUE VALUE VALUE - the next set UP in the DT Swiss road line-up is the RR-1850, and is the same wheelset with a slightly lighter hub - and it's almost DOUBLE the price!!

I'm stoked.

Sure, they're a little weighty - but brush up on a little physics and ALL WILL BE REVEALED!
    NO WEAKNESSES - these babies are hardcore.

Was looking at all sorts of race wheels, as my set was getting tired and started letting me down spoke-wise. I have a family to feed, so I won't spend big money on stuff if I think it's not justified. Just as I thought i'd be forced to spend $1K or more, I came across these wheels and MAN am I pleased I did! I wanted a set of stiff, fast wheels that I could just leave on the bike - train AND race on, and this wheelset is just the ticket. If you are the type of rider who obsesses over weight, then you can go throw your cash at WAY pricey and SLIGHTLY lighter wheels. But if you are the type who knows a little about general physics, and a grasp on stiffness + rotational weight advantage, then like me you will be STOKED at the awesome bang-for-buck you get out of these wheels! My previous set was about 250g lighter, but flexed and waved around on climbs and sprints. The R-1900 (yes, they weigh 1900g - MORE with cassette, tyres and skewers!) is robust and SO stiff that they actually climb BETTER on 95% of my training routes. The really nast climbs hurt like crazy, but this is due to the form of the rider - not the form of wheels!

Similar Products Used: A mate of mine has used Ksyriums since they first hit the stores back in the day. Any serious Ksyrium rider will tell you how much servicing is required for the Ksyrium hubset to function at it's best.