Easton EA50 Aero wheelsets - clincher

Easton EA50 Aero wheelsets - clincher

Easton's most popular wheel, the EA50 features an aero dynamic 30mm rim made from Easton's durable EA50 aluminum. The EA50's aerodynamics are further improved thanks to bladed spokes. The EA50 is hand laced and trued, making them a great ...

[Oct 02, 2014]
Byron

Strength:

Look Good. Front wheel is fantastic.

Weak build materials.

After more than a year on these wheels I feel I can write a review of them.
First issue is the build materials.
The free hub body is made of soft material that the cassette gouges worse than I've ever seen on a wheel before. The rear axle broke within the first 3 months of riding because the tension bolts on the wheel refuse to stay tight. Easton customer service was good enough to send me a replacement axle but the loosening of the tension bolts is still an issue.
Spoke and nipple quality is sub par.
I have broken 7 spokes on the drive side and 4 spoke nipples on the non drive side. As a mechanic for 5 years I've never seen any wheel break a spoke nipple.

[Aug 06, 2012]
tony garvey

Strength:

shiny hubs and fancy decals.

look good

serious drag from these . downhill speed over 60k is max after this expect speed wobbles .noisey spoke clatter on the flat when pushed and flex on uphill .over all cheap bling at big money .rs10 shimano at less than half this price would out pace these all day .there good for turbo trainer .

[Apr 26, 2012]
Canecreekfreak

Strength:

Look awesome, aerodynamics, easy to change tires

aerodynamics, brake wear indicator, durability(??)

I got a set of these for a steal to use as one (of 2) pair of wheels for training. The materials and quality of manufacturing seem to be pretty good. Getting tires on & off them is easy compared to some other wheels I've owned. The aero rim profile with aero spokes and red hubs look AWESOME. There's a definite advantage over other non-aero wheels when the speed climbs (on still days). But they're also affected more dramtically in side or cross winds. Not so much that it'll knock you over, but you do have to take it into account.

I've only put 500 miles on these wheels so far, but there's been no failures or broken spokes. I did notice that when hammering out of the saddle, the rear wheel seems to ping as if the tenstion on the spokes isn't even. It's most noticable while going up hills. I took it to my LBS, and they said it was still true and the spokes were tensioned ok, but they retensioned them anyways. The wheel is still true, but I still get the pinging noise. I weight 170lbs, so I don't think that's the issue.

I'm not a fan of the break wear indicator these come with as that's a little more material that would allow for quicker braking. Like mentioned before, I havent had any failures at this point, but that pinging noise has me a bit concerned about durability.

Overall I'm happy with these wheels so far, although for the regular retail price I think there's better options out there. If you can get them for a steal like I did, I think you'll be happy with them.