Easton EA70 wheelsets - tubular

EA70

A workhorse performance wheel if ever there were, the EA70 X tubular plays a supporting role for Easton's...

GuyOnABike   [Nov 28, 2015]
Strength:

Roll well, comfortable ride.

Spokes need almost constant replacing and truing.

I've had these wheels for under a year (jan-nov) and used them on my training bike. In that time I've had to replace 2 spokes, 6 spoke nipples, all the bearings twice and the freehub body. For a rider of 60kg to need to do this shows how awful these wheels are. These wheels are the worst I've ever used, easton are an insult to the word quality and I'm never buying anything from then again.

Ted   Recreational Rider [Jul 10, 2013]
Strength:

Reliable, wide/high profile

weight, cross-winds

My BMC Race Machine came with these wheels. I've logged about 3,000 miles on these rims over some very dodgy desert roads with no issues whatsoever -- never broke a spoke, never even needed to true them. And I weigh >200 lbs.

My only qualms is that they are not the best wheels to be on a heavy cross-wind, no doubt a factor of their higher profile.

I haven't had any issues with these rims, but I did deal with Easton customer service when they offered a bearing upgrade for my Havoc mtb rims. I found them to be a pleasure to deal with.

dan greene   [Jan 17, 2013]
Strength:

Excellent lateral rigidity for relatively light weight wheels

I'm 140 lbs. but after 1.000 miles, I started breaking spokes both front and rear and not at rim/nipple or hub, but in the middle of the spoke! - can't ever recall that in 30 years of cycling. T he Velomax wheels that preceeded the EA 70's were bulletproof. Seems like Easton may have cut corners when they chose spoke vendors.

Last time I'll ever buy an Easton wheel.

curt   [Dec 04, 2012]
Strength:

light, quick, responsive, smooth, a pleasure to ride

Really haven't found any yet

Purchased these wheels at the beginning of this season - but almost pulled back due to many of the reviews on this site. I got a great price so decided to give them a try. I am a 6"3" 195lb rider - 64cm steel frame, full Ultegra groupo, replaced Richie's. I put just over 2000 miles on these wheels this summer and enjoyed them all. No issues with spokes, hubs or brakes - very smooth, secure cornering, etc. - glad I tried them.

Rob Scott   Recreational Rider [Oct 06, 2012]
Strength:

If purchased carefully, good value to cost ratio. But ...

Front hub design.

Have owned Easton Circuits with no problems (no spoke breakage). But the newer EA70 wheels (mine are 2010) are lighter and I have had brake pulsing (shudder) with the front wheel (road and V brakes). No obvious reason (no rim defect, rim is very true) but, there is a definite heavy spot in the rim at the join (weld) and the front axle is just two light inserts held in place by small O-rings (it is not a true solid axle). This looks like a weak point that may not hold the wheel very tightly and thus be responsible for the shudder. Be sure that the skewer is quite tight. No issues with the rear wheel or any spokes. I would not buy these again, knowing the front hub design.

Similar Products Used: Easton Circuits
Feetay   Triathlete [Feb 11, 2012]
Strength:

Light enough for training wheel.

Spokes break at drop of a hat

EA 70's came with the bike purchase. Have had the bike for nearly six months and today I have a broken spoke. Just riding along a flat section when 'ping' and the wheel was wobbling from side to side. I had Shimano 540 wheels on my previous Giant TCR2 and never had a spoke break in 6 years riding despite in their last days the spokes were pitted and rusting. Perhaps I was spoiled by such bulletproof wheelset. I replaced them with Fulcrum 5's and after 12months no broken spokes either. I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Similar Products Used: Shimano WH-R540
Fulcrum 5
elnr0508   Recreational Rider [Jan 17, 2012]
Strength:

Cool looking, quiet and fast.

Spokes break too easily and not great on windy days as the wider rim catches the air and becomes unstable.

Bought these on the recommendation from another member of my cycling club and were on a good sale. Have had two broken spokes in 7 months and only 1 in the past 5 years on all other wheels combined. These broke when just cruising easy on the bike, too. No pot holes or other antics. And barely able to ride with the broken spoke because it was so out of true. I also notice a lot of creaking sound in the wheels when I stand up. I like everything else about the wheels, light, smooth, quiet and they stay true. I can't be out on unreliable wheels and have to worry about calling for a ride or limping home. At 200 lbs I'm a lot lighter than when I started riding and was told these wheels could easily handle my weight.

dumalam   Recreational Rider [Jun 16, 2011]
Strength:

Pretty light and stiff for the price. Hubs roll very smoothly and quietly.

Spokes. They break too easily.

These are for Easton CIRCUITS, the earlier version of the EA 70, but I though maybe it would be useful to post a review here anyway.

I got these with my Cervelo R3 about a year and half ago. I have really enjoyed riding them, that is, when the spokes haven't been broken.

They are pretty light for the price, and feel pretty stiff during hard efforts and out of the saddle. And the hubs do feel like they roll really well. They feel really smooth and I love that they freewheel quietly.

However, a spoke has broken on each wheel within the first year, and not while riding. Once immediately after a ride, and once just at home several weeks after the latest ride (I was injured). And though they have otherwise always stayed true, even after some bad roads and hard bumps, the thought of getting stranded with a broken spoke is now in the back of my mind when I ride on these wheels. By the way, I started riding them at about 85kg and now I'm about 75kg.

In theory they are a great training wheel. It's a shame the spokes break so easily. And neither the Cervelo shop from which they were bought, nor the local Easton distributor, would accept that the issue is covered by the warranty.

TommyGunn   Recreational Rider [Apr 17, 2011]
Strength:

Stayed true.

Poor bearing set up. Heavier than most.

Bought these after reading about how strong they were and how heavier riders would love them. I did have a two year affair... and then, they began treating me rough. We broke up a few months later when I took them to my LBS to see why the bearings seemed a bit rough.

After taking the rear hub assembly apart and showing it to me, I think I have less respect for Easton's engineers than before, because the setup for the bearings was a poor design. My LBS owner/wrench showed me how the bearings failed and why they'd surely keep failing due to how the inner races were placed in the area underneath the cassette. BAD! Darn, a new wheelset would be the only solution.

While they worked, they were fair to good. Not fast, not light, not bad. Just average. In fact, not any better than the older Circuits I still ride on my rain bike.

Similar Products Used: Easton Circuits, Spesh Roval Pave SLs, Planet X Model B.
terrapin4   Recreational Rider [Apr 11, 2011]
Strength:

Tough, tough wheels that have fairly fast rolling hubs and a slight aero profile. For under $400, I have a hard time believing you can do any better than these wheels.

They don't give you the feeling of effortless spin-up from a standstill like more expensive wheels, but then again that isn't a wheelset like this is built for.

Strange to see that some of the most recent reviews have been so negative on these wheels. I bought them in hopes that they would be highly durable, modestly quick, and reasonably good-looking. I feel like I definitely got more than my money's worth when they took a concrete wall face on at 15 mph (don't ask) and didn't even go out of true, in spite of my frame being completely destroyed. Can you say bombproof??