Easton EA90 SLX wheelsets - clincher

Easton EA90 SLX wheelsets - clincher

Easton EA90 SLX Road Wheel is weapons-grade in terms of voracity and efficiency. The low-profile 90-series road tubeless rim transmits power straight from the spoke to the ground with nearly no energy loss. Easton's game-changing new ECHO hub set rounds o

[Mar 10, 2016]
Matt

Strength:

Light

Everything else

I run the older version of these wheels with R4 SL hubs. I have had nothing but problems with these hubs. there's a tremendous amount of play in the rear wheel. I thought to fix this problem by replacing the bearings and ordering the updated bearing preload adjuster (which Easton irritatingly charged me for and made a profit off of despite being at fault for selling these wheels with a faulty preload adjuster).
New bearings and preload adjuster later, the play is still there. It's hard to tell if it's coming from the hubs or the spokes, but the spoke tension seems normal and with all the reviews of broken spokes I don't want to take the risk of overtensioning them. On the other hand the looseness makes the bike awfully squirrelly on descents. I can't wait to trash these wheels and buy a better set. I can guarantee you that my next set will not be from Easton.

[Aug 26, 2015]
Bob Bolton

Strength:

rear hub seal drags on cassette. Tech says it was installed incorrectly. It was installed by Easton!
This is a BS company who does not stand behind their product. Hard to believe in this day with all our choices they can be A-holes to their customers.

Easton is arrogant. Their rear hub/seal design sucks. Do yourself and your friends a favor. Never buy or recommend Easton.

[May 06, 2015]
MSRider

Strength:

Lightweight and easy rolling

Broken Spokes!!!!

Spokes break frequently!!!!These wheels are NOT designed for commuter, recreational, and/or everyday riding ...I would rate these a racing wheel...short quick rides. I bought my first set as a promotional from Performance (2012), the discount giving from any seller is not worth the head aches and un-certainty if this wheel will get you to the next mile .Performance worked with me when the first set of 90's (on the first set the front and back wheel spokes broke). Receiving my second set (from Easton 2013) there was an little confidence that these wheels would do better. I just started having trouble with broken spokes the second ( MS 2014) set and coming out of warranty Performance couldn't help, basically I was on my own. I'm a big MS supporter and have participated in many different venues, but its bad when you have to sag up to a bike shop (MS 2105) and have to ask for spoke replacements. Two different rides and twice the front spoke broke I base my review from a set of Richies I had that lasted me >5k miles...I cant get 300 miles from the 90's with out breaking spokes. I would NOT recommend this wheel for any big or endurance ride. If you choose to ride with these wheel and you have had good luck I would recommend to tape front and back replacement spokes to the frame for road side assistance...this you will need....I plan to hang these wheels and go to Mavic's...Again if you have Easton 90's wheels take a repair kit for spoke replacement...Spokes break frequently!!!!...Bike-Fuji Team...I weigh 180...That being said...Don't Buy...Unless you like unplanned adventures

[Mar 09, 2015]
John Idyotik

Strength:

Strong, fast, light, reliable

nerds don't like them

Fabulous wheels. Mine have around 6,000 miles and haven't needed truing yet! Bombproof and intelligent design.

[Aug 10, 2014]
Lance

Strength:

Very light, very stiff, terrific acceleration and cornering, decent clincher ride, (mine are a couple years old and have the ceramic bearings), incredibly strong especially considering their light weight.

I have several thousand rough road miles on these and they've never even needed to be trued. I also have the EC90SLX carbon tubular version that I do cyclocross on. They are completely reliable. The spokes are the same Sapim spokes that most other wheel builders use. I don't know what this spoke breaking guy's campaign is about. Buy them, they're great value for the money.
The last mile to my home is a hill that varies between 6 and 9%, the last half mile is 9%. These wheels are highly responsive out of the saddle, which is a treat when you have very little left in the tank.

[May 15, 2014]
Bob

Strength:

Light weight, spin up easily and maintain our inertia, decent looking rim as well.

Broken spokes, Broken Spokes, Broken Spokes.

I took a chance on these rims at a large Bicycle store that will remain nameless due to one of their staff selling me on these wheels. I expressed concerns that me being a larger rider, I am 5-11 and 220 pounds on a bad day, 210 on a good day. He said not to worry, these were great wheels, spun up nicely, light weight for climbing etc. I said I had noticed that Easton apparently had spoken problems with these wheels, he said had not had any come back. Great, but them, replace a busted Carbon Rim set with these, and promptly let them sit due to the Mavic Equipes that came on my road bike. Fast forward to changing out some gearing this year and wanting to use a set of wheels that do not even have 300 miles on them. Rode these things for 3 weeks including some serious climbing in the mountains of South Carolina/North Caroline Border and up in the Banner Elk, Beech Mountain area. While climbing a switch back called Green River Cove road was two switchbacks from the top and a front spoke just pops and I stop. Wheel is so out of true I cannot proceed. Roll it up on the back wheel, take the shoes off and proceed to walk it up the remainder of the way. No biggie, get the spoke fixed right? Did that, the VERY NEXT ride, I am riding locally and come out of the saddle to charge up a hill, back spoke just pops. This left me with NO CONFIDENCE with this wheel set at all. I went back to the NAMELESS LARGE BIKE STORE CHAIN and spoke t the guy that sold them to me. He completely understood, offered to give me my money back or put me in a set of Mavic Elites, I chose the Mavic Elites. Only have one ride of 15 miles on these but they feel so much sturdier. I know that there are better and more expensive wheel sets out there and may go that route, but I will NEVER buy a set of these or a product of Easton's again. Stick to Baseball bats guys. Even if you were a typical 140 to 160 pound road racer I do not think these rims will hold up based on the flawed design in regards to the spokes here.

Mavic Ksyrium Elites

[Jan 21, 2014]
JohnF

Strength:

Light with low rolling resistance.

Spokes break frequently

I’ve had these wheels for two riding seasons now, and like so many others, have had problems with broken spokes on both front and rear wheels. The reason why spokes break so frequently on these wheels is simple; Upon close inspection of the EA90 SLX rims, it was discovered that the diameter for the nipple openings was rather small and the thickness of the rim wall was rather deep compared to rims made by other manufacturers. This combination prevents the nipples from pivoting to match the angle of the spoke, which forces the spoke to bend at the nipple. This bend weakens the spoke and eventually causes the metal to fatigue and break.

This problem was solved by using a round metal file to enlarge the nipple openings on the side to which the nipple needed to pivot, thus allowing the nipple to match the spoke angle. Additionally, suspecting that all of the original spokes were likely compromised, I ordered new set Sapim CXRay spokes for both front and rear wheels.

[Jan 21, 2014]
John F

Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance

Spokes break frequently

I’ve had these wheels for two riding seasons now, and like so many others, have had problems with broken spokes on both the front and rear wheels. The reason why spokes break so frequently on these wheels is simple; upon close inspection of the EA90 SLX rims, it was discovered that the diameter for the nipple openings was rather small and the thickness of the rim wall was rather deep compared to rims made by other manufacturers. This combination prevents the nipples from pivoting to match the angle of the spoke, which forces the spoke to bend at the nipple. This bend weakens the spoke and eventually causes the metal to fatigue and break.

The problem was solved by using a round metal file to enlarge the nipple openings on the side to which the nipple needed to pivot, thus allowing the nipple to match the spoke angle. Additionally, on the theory that all of the original spokes were likely compromised, I ordered a new set Sapim CXRay spokes for both front and rear wheels. This has been a rather expensive solution, but happily, I can report that I have been riding on these modified wheels for over a year now without breaking a single spoke!

[Oct 21, 2013]
Rod Hammond

Strength:

Good looking wheels, very light & very fast.

Broken spokes in front wheel.

I am having the same problem as many others with broken spokes. They always seem to snap
inside the nipples. My question is has anyone come up with a solution, as I would love to keep
riding these wheels. Maybe different nipples or spokes!! Please let me know guys.

[Jun 06, 2013]
Rickorama

Strength:

Light, Spin up fast, good looking wheels.

The spokes: I weigh 175lbs and I broke spokes constantly, front wheel back wheel they just were not very strong. Because of the low spoke count particularly in the front a broken spoke would cause the wheel to go so out of round, it was tough to road true it just so I could get home. Took my first set back, and the second set did the same thing. I have Easton wheels on my Mt. bike and have had zero problems with them, but I wouldn't spend the money on these, there are too many other choices out there to rick constant trip to the bike shop to get these fixed.

Mavic and DT both make wheels that are comparable in price and weight to the EA90SLX wheels. I liked the Easton's when they were working but riding a wobbling wheel 25 miles back home is just not cool.