Easton EA90 TT wheelsets - clincher

EA90 TT

When a time trial or triathlon comes along and you tuck into the aerobars, the EA90 wheelset is right there with you. The great aerodynamic properties of the EA90 Aero wheelset are all here, plus a special R4 front hub with 50% less frontal exposure. Aerodynamic properties are furthered with 32mm deep rims that are still shallow enough for a hard climb. 16 front/20 rear Sapim bladed silver spokes laced radially front and rear non-drive and 2x drive-side rear. Black alloy nipples front and non...

R Price   [Jun 27, 2012]
Strength:

Light

Spoke breakage!

Like another reviewer, my previous set of Easton wheels with Velomax were absolutely bullet proof, incredible. These ones, I've had 3 spokes break off at the nipple, only noticed it when I went to grab my bike for a ride, so did it while at rest apparently - weird! So obviously there's a problem with these wheels' nipples/spokes, shame as otherwise they're very sweet.

Joe   [Apr 15, 2012]
Strength:

Smooth ride, nice aero wheels. Good quality, I would buy these again.

none, these are great wheels.

I uses these as my main race wheels.

cycocraig   Recreational Rider [Mar 05, 2011]

fragile spokes

After 3 months of use wheel spokes started to break. First it was front spokes then the rear wheel started to fail.

Similar Products Used: mavic ksyirium
alreadyblue   Road Racer [May 11, 2010]
Strength:

Fairly light, slightly aero, smooth hubs

Cost - $850?
Low quality of Spokes, nipples

I got these wheels in March. I've put close to 1000 miles on them by now. I was initially pretty happy with them because I wanted a wheel I could train and race on, and these fit the bill. They are fairly light, somewhat aero, roll smoothly and I was hoping they would be durable.

I guess that was too much to ask for. On Sunday I popped a spoke on the rear wheel, drive side. It was after I had finished my ride and I was on my way back up to my apartment. It snapped right at the nipple. Well I guess you can't just take these in and get them fixed. You or your bike shop has to order the spokes from Easton. Which means this rear wheel is out for a week or two.

Gotta say, Easton wheels use to be bullet proof back when they said Velomax on them. Now they are having all sorts of issues. I'll probably not go back to Easton again for wheels.

Similar Products Used: AM Classic 420's
Easton Orion 2
Easton Vista
Bontrager Race x lite
specializedman   Road Racer [Dec 26, 2009]
Strength:

Slightly more aero than most wheels, look reall good, good freehub compared to many wheels, good initial build quality.

Slightly heavy, Bearings and spoke nipples will soon fail.

These are my main Road race wheels (have carbon wheels for really big races) I do club races and occasionaly train on these wheels, They are certainly beautiful to look at, they match my bike perfectly but the stickers do wear in time.
As far as performance go's these are pretty good, I don't notice much flex (Im 74kg) but when I put my Reynolds carbon wheels on they certainly feel stiffer so I guess there is some flex in the Eastons.
Some of the parts of the wheels are dodgy, I have replaced all the back wheel bearings since new after they failed at about 1000km old, Also the spoke nipples will break should you try to true the wheels. I replaced the nipples and everything has been fine since then, The stock bearings were probably the fastest bearings I have ever ridden, even after riding a few sets of wheels worth 5 times as much as these, and the free hub doesn't really notch up unlike some of the expensive wheels. I won my first A grade race on these so they must go okay.

Similar Products Used: Shimano R500 and Ultegra 6600, Reynolds SDV66C, zipp 404.
janellb   Recreational Rider [Dec 11, 2009]
Strength:

smooth ride

umm...broken spoke for no reason!!

I bought these 3 months ago. They have a 100 mile century, 2 50 milers, and a couple of 20 rides = 500 miles maybe. I was getting my bike ready for a 50, filled up the tires in my living room, and POP! a spoke on the back breaks!!! No load, no reason. Some people have said they only pop when the load is too heavy--I weigh 140 lbs and they are on a Q-carbon Klein. Thank god I wasn't on the road!! No reason for this. Crappy! I will be calling Easton! (on a side note...they do ride wonderfully)

Similar Products Used: My first nonstock road wheels :(
psuambassador   Triathlete [Jul 31, 2008]
Strength:

Fast spin up, light, aero sapim spokes, look sharp

A little bend in the spokes when you really crank down.

I have the Easton EA90 Aero alu clinchers. I love them! Although they don't spin nearly as long on the stand as my Vista's did with the velomax hubs, they spin much better on the road, which is what you want. They spin up super fast and I felt like I was traveling on air, with no effort required.

They come with sapim aero bladed spokes, just like my Zipp 808's have and have a deeper profile in the rear than up front. Also, they have super bling graphics, if you like that sort of thing. I slapped on some super light tires and tubes and I was ready to go. I love them. I did notice a little bend of the spokes when I stood up and powered down. There was a little rub against my cadence sensor, but I think that is to be expected. Nothing serious.