Easton EC90 Aero Carbon wheelsets - clincher

EC90 Aero Carbon

The Easton EC90 Aero?s are the ultimate, every-day aero wheels. They are fast enough to win time trials, stable in windy triathlons, and untouchable in long breakaways. The EC90 Aero combines the unmatched braking performance of ThermaTec brake track with

karlkras   Recreational Rider [Jul 17, 2013]
Strength:

Light weight, roll very well, look really really cool. Climb like a mountain goat.

Don't brake worth a darn and have ruined any chance that I'll ever trust riding on carbon wheels ever again.

These came with the purchase of a 2013 model Diamondback Podium 7.
While the reviews for this bike mentioned they had some "minor issues" with the braking performance of these wheels none mentioned the very real possibility of catastrophic failure if you use this bike on hilly terrain.
A few mentioned that switching from the stock red campy brake pads to the yellow version would most likely help, however the braking surface (there really is none) becomes slicker with use which makes it tougher to slow normally so I found myself having to hold the brakes longer then I normally would which must have heated the wheel to the point of the front wheel coming apart (delaminated).
These are still under warranty, and I fully expect Easton to provide a replacement, but I doubt I will ever use these again. Anyone want to buy a virtually new set of Easton EC90's?

Similar Products Used: Only set of Carbon Wheels I've ever owned, and probably the last.
Simon23   Triathlete [Aug 30, 2012]
Strength:

Very quiet, still true after 18 months + of use, light, stiff but comfortable, stable even with cross wind gusts, good hubs.

Braking is HORRIBLE.

The absolute worse wheel I have ever had in that regard. The surface of the braking area actually wears out very quickly showing the carbon fibers under it and is deposited on to the brake pads creating a hard glaze surface. That will inevitably reduce friction bringing the effectiveness of any brake you have to a zero. I tried everything I could and different pads, but it will only work for 2 or 3 slowing down then I am back to virtually nothing. Better anticipate almost everything coming up and hope nobody never turns in front of you or misjudge a downhill turn because you will not stop in time.
I would strongly advice to think it through before buying this wheel.