Easton EC90 Aero wheelsets - tubular

EC90 Aero

The EC90 Aero wheel features a 56mm deep carbon section that slices through the wind with ease. Thanks to its excellent aerodynamic qualities, the EC90 Aero 56mm wheel has become a favorite of time trialists and triathletes alike. The EC9...

Kevin Cervelo   [Nov 03, 2012]
Strength:

None!

Heat related braking surface failure. Hub failure.

As a 70kg rider I was very disappointed that 2 front and 1 rear wheels failed because of heat build up on the braking surface. Heat build-up and failure pushes the plastic through the carbon fibre weave, which then causes a very unpleasant grabbing and uneven braking. The braking surface even forms a concave groove around the entire wheel. In addition, the rear hub had a known problem, was replaced and then ultimately failed. Both failures are in the 'dangerous' category. I'm now very happily riding on Zipp 303 Carbon Firecrests.

William   Road Racer [Aug 01, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff, rolls quick, very good on climbs and reasonably priced.

I've dealt with the noisy brakes using their pads but I upgraded to corks and it brakes well. Just can't use on rainy days Sunday. But after learning carbon don't really go well in the rain. I baby my bike. No Rain, trainers if it rains. That's it!

I almost sold these after updating them to all ceramics but was not successful selling them so I kept it. Well after being in storage and after three bike updates? I've decided to laced them to my newest and rode excellent. Came in second on my recent race.

Similar Products Used: Zipp 202, 303, 404, Shimano WH7701, Ultegra, Mavic Ksyriums SL, Cosmic Carbone Ultimates.
Simon   Road Racer [May 25, 2011]
Strength:

Ride, stiff, look, relatively light.

Breaking is a major issue. With my set carbon particles keeps on being transferred on to the pads glazing the contact surface. Once they are glazed, the braking power is down to 20-30 % compared to my other set of carbon wheels. I think there is a problem, I honestly consider this wheels dangerous in a group ride since it is almost impossible to stop at the same rate as any other rider. Also I have to send down the pads before every ride, which is kind of a nonsense.

Just bought the wheels and I love almost everything about them. The ride is plush, laterally is very good, the free-hub (I use Campy) is not the best. Pay attention as to how the cassette is inserted as it is possible to slide it in wrong. I noticed that the 11 and 12 teeth gears are a little loose compared to the rest of them. The major problem is breaking. I consider my set dangerous. I sent it back and the guys at Easton have been very helpful, but even if I only had 3 rides, they are not willing to replace them. They suggested cork pads. I am not very happy but I will give it a try.

Similar Products Used: Campagnolo Hyperon, Edge Carbon Clincher, Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate, Fulcrum Racing Zero.
basho   Road Racer [Feb 14, 2011]
Strength:

Fast. well made. light. look good. climb and cruise well. a great addition to a bike.

One HUGE problem. braking surface breaks down under heavy use on descents. I have destroyed 2 sets this way, and yes I used the recommended pads.The mtns are very steep here and the corners are very sharp, which heats up the rims until, after not that many rides, they bubble and the rims warp and crack. Under all my other testing they are great. But Im going back to alu rims, sadly, for training in the mtns. Oh well.

Ok I do love these wheels. They are quick, stiff comfortable, spin up fast, accelerate and ride well, are (mostly) very durable and are not nearly as expensive as some of their competition. Ive ridden them in many places with no issues. I have had one huge problem with them, but I'll explain that later.

Similar Products Used: reynolds dv46. (2 pairs). LEW (1 pair). ksyrium sl's. eastons are the best overall. I wish they held up better under braking.
nelson Ochoa   Road Racer [Nov 14, 2010]
Strength:

Fast rolling set of wheels,when these get speed they roll.Stong built.

The braking in the wet is very limited.
The Q.R. pair look kind of cheap.

For the price they could be a little better.

Similar Products Used: ZIPP 303 tubulars
FIR Antara carbon clinchers
Mavic Cosmic
Craig Chythlook   Road Racer [Apr 30, 2009]
Strength:

Very stiff, light, looks great with my bike, ride quality, comes with brake pads, and spoke wrench. Hand built and tuned.

only a race day wheel set:P

This is the first deep dish that I've owned. But I do work at a bike shop and I've had the chance to demo a pair of zipp 404 clinchers for a week. My current bike is a 09 Tarmac Pro SL. Ksyrium Sl wheelset, SRAM Red/Force mix. This wheelset was hands down stiffer than the 404 clinchers, which in theory a clincher should have been stiffer than the EC90 aero tubulars. I love to climb I'm defiantly built for it 5'10" 150 Ibs. But even with my size I was getting quite a bit of flex from the 404's while climbing. But doing hill repeats with the EA90's nothing. Very little flex. With the weight of the tubbys being 1335, paired with how stiff they are and a ceramic bearing this is a hard wheelset to beat. If you want to spend more money on a flexy wheeset buy zipp 404. Or you can again spend hundreds more because your local bike shop convinced you that reynolds dt swiss hubs will make you that much faster:)

Similar Products Used: 08 zipp 404 clincher
Robert Pawlik   Recreational Rider [Apr 25, 2009]
Strength:

Roll quick. LIGHT. No weight limit. Great braking for a carbon wheels! Oh yeah they come with carbon specific brake pads ( a 65.00 value)!

None. Only the engine is the weakness and that's me.

I've owned several sets of wheels, and these by far are the fastest (and best loooking–decals are NOT cheap looking stickers). They spin up quick and roll quick. Decals are big but not ugly big. I like the fact that they do not have a weight limit and they are hand tuned at the factory with a warranty. The customer service at Easton has always been outstanding, with direct contact to a rep.

Similar Products Used: Roval carbon. Zipp.
tarkashi   Recreational Rider [Mar 23, 2009]
Strength:

Dependable, and no weight restrictions (fragility restrictions)

None found

I bought these based on the fact that there was no weight limit. I'm a TALL rider and tip the scales over 220 lbs. These wheels have run true and straight since the day switched to them from my Ksyrium SL's. This includes a century, and all the ride time I could manage in the last 4 months. They have made a huge difference in my comfort since I'm riding an all aluminum CAAD 8 frame. They show no proclivity to be temperamental or fragile as of this writing, and they have made my attacks during rides more aggressive and productive. I rode tubulars most of my life and I'm very happy to be back on them again with a dependable set of wheels.Oh yeah, it doesn't rain out here very much so I didn't worry about that problem.

Similar Products Used: Multiple sets of classic aluminum tubular rims mostly Mavic brand.
Mavic Ksyrium SL
jetrenkel   Triathlete [Feb 23, 2009]
Strength:

Ultralite and dependable. These are tested beyond the standards found across the industry and it pays.

cost is prohibitive

There is a scathing review of these saying that they fill with water in the wet and that the only way to fix it is to send them back. Don't be a dumbass. Pull the tire just enough to expose a rim hole and drain the rim.

Similar Products Used: custom racing tubulars: escape velocity, white industry H2, Sapim CX-ray
Cory Dickinson   Road Racer [Sep 04, 2008]
Strength:

Strong, light, excellent stopping. I have not seen any wheel flex and notice a big difference in climbing and sprinting. Have also hit several big holes while racing and they are true with no cracking. Finnish quality is amazing. Sexy wheels!

Have had the freehub slip a couple times. Nothing serious, but something to watch for.

Awesome wheels. My first tubs and the ride quality of a full carbon tubular is outstanding. I am very impressed with the quality and build of the wheels as well. I set them up with Swiss Stop Yellow King pads and the braking is just like aluminum. Hubs seem exceptionally smooth out of the box with no break in time required. Rims are balanced very well with very little perceptible heavy spots. I am not a big rider and they do not blow around very much in windy conditions compared to a deeper dish wheel.

Similar Products Used: Zipp 606 clinchers, Williams 30's, Bontrager Xlite, Tufo Jets 23mm tubs.