Easton EC90 SL wheelsets - clincher

EC90 SL

The Easton EC90 SL 38mm Wheels dont need to brag when their performance does all the talking.

John   Road Racer [May 28, 2013]
Strength:

Lightweight, spun well initially, decent braking given carbon surface

Multiple broken spokes, freehub went bad within months, carbon bearings didn't last entire season, loose hubs became recurrent problem

Bought this wheelset because of the advertised benefits-strong, good braking, lightweight, carbon clincher. Was very happy with them for the first 2-3 months. They stayed relatively true, braked well, spun fast and very smoothly. Honeymoon was then over; they became plagued with constant problems. First the freehub went out; fortunately my LBS got this warrantied. Then spokes started braking on a regular basis. Seemed like I had a broken spoke every month. Broke five spokes on both front and rear wheels; I weigh 168lbs and this is the only wheelset that has ever broken a spoke under me. None of my LBS's carry these spokes so they had to be ordered, which puts the wheel out of action for at least a week, often longer. While all this was going on, the hubs started developing problems. They started to get sloppy; LBS said that the bearings needed replaced. Paid a bunch to replace the ceramic bearings, which lasted for several months before they started to become wobbly again. Again, LBS said bearings were cooked. This time, I told them to just put some inexpensive steel bearings in. I finally threw in the towel after another spoke broke. Fortunately my LBS got them warrantied and they are supposed to send me a replacement set. I'm hoping these wheels were just lemons, but given past problems I will have very low tolerance for problems with the replacements. On the bright side, I never had any braking surface problems, but I ride mostly on the flats and rollers; no mountain descents where I live.

Similar Products Used: shimano dura-ace, bontrager race-lite, hed stingers,
Jeff G   Recreational Rider [Oct 24, 2012]
Strength:

Great all-round wheel, ceramic bearing hubs for the cost of metal with others. Nice aero dish, no weight / load limit on the rider for warranty issues (I'm a bigger guy), good looking (IMO). When I needed service Bell / Easton was top-notch to deal with! While brake surface is not as good as Al, still works well even wet.

as another reviewer commented i too had a front wheel lamination issue on a big descent - nothing to freak out over but it had to be addressed. Not as light as some other carbons

I bought this wheel set to replace my Al Shimano wheels. Wow what a world of difference, they roll for ever! Yes you should monitor the bearing play every 500 miles or so but that is good bike maintenance practice regardless. I had an issue with the front wheel and Scott / Easton RMA'ed the wheel no question or receipt even asked for. Two weeks later i had a brand new whee/hub, extra skewer and even replaced the swiss stop brake pads - great customer service!

Similar Products Used: NA
chris linback   Road Racer [May 07, 2012]
Strength:

Very smooth, dampens uneven road surfaces well. Smoothest riding clinchers I have used.

Very stiff, due in part to the exceptionally wide bracing angles. Also the torsional rigidity of deep carbon. Drive side flange has been pushed over so far to maximize bracing angle that my rear derailleur rubbed against the spokes in 1st gear - no problem, a half turn of the derailleur limit screw is all it took. I cannot make my computer magnet or brakes rub in hard hill sprints, even when I exaggerate the thrashing.

Pulse free braking due to perfectly round rims.

Fairly aero, but not like a super deep rim. I do not get blown around riding these on windy days.

Graphics are loud, if they work for your bike, great, if not, they can't be removed because they are painted on - not decals.

They do everything well - smooth without being mushy; stiff without being harsh; (semi) aero without being heavy.

Similar Products Used: Campi Hyperon - slightly stiffer, slightly less comfy. Zipp 404T - beautiful except for the glue. Rolf Vigor - harsh but not stiff.
Mavic Ksyrium - stiff but harsh & unaerodynamic
jathanas   Recreational Rider [Nov 01, 2011]
Strength:

Looks, spin well.

Braking performance.

I want to warn others about this wheelset before they lay their hard earned.

The front rim flared up after a long descent. I no longer trust the braking performance of this product.

Similar Products Used: Zipp 404 clincher
GILBERTO RODRIGUEZ   Recreational Rider [Jul 07, 2011]
Strength:

Lightweight, ceramic bearings, looks

Hubs become loose all the time, rear wheel flex, possible danger with rim overheating. Warranty policies suck!

I have had these for little less than a year and i can say there have been numerous trips to the bike shop to have the hubs tightened and looked at. I feel a lot of flex on the rear wheel as well, lots of rubbing with the brake pads. Recently did Gran Fondo L.A and almost had the worst accident on the hills of Mulholland Dr. It seems the brake pads over heated the rear rim and my tube blew during a fast descent, almost crashed hard, i could not stop since the tire was out of the rim, tube was stuck on the cassette, messed up the wheel big time. I sent it to Easton to find out that they will not cover warranty on that incident, almost killed my self due to rim overheating and they do not believe what happened. Very disappointing.

Similar Products Used: Reynolds Attack
Alfietom   Recreational Rider [Jun 22, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, Eastons Reputation, Handbuilt with quality products (ceramic bearings, DT Swiss hubs, etc

Hubs continually come loose.
Unacceptable Flex in wheels
Numerous problems with Carbon Braking surface....serious safety issue!!!!

Initially bought the Eastons after reading favourable reviews, Lightweight and hand built nature of the wheels plus the fantastic name Easton has for quality products.

I'm sorry but these have been sooo disapointing from day one!
First day I fitted the wheels took them for a spin up my local hill and couldnt believe the amount of flex in the rear wheel, to the point that I have had to relase the adjuster on the rear brake to cure the rub...this meant a lot more travel on the rear brake lever, but hey I could live with this. Worse was to come!
After my first ride of approx 35 miles i got the wheels home and inspected them. I was shocked to have worn very visible concaves in the rear wheel rim, this was by using the supplied Swiss Stop Yellow pads. There was also noticeable play in the hubs that required adjustment. I returned the wheels to my LBS who sent them back to EASTON. Easton were great and replaced the rear wheel for a new one although it took nearly 2 months to turn this around. I continued to use the wheels for a period of approx 8 weeks but still having to readjust the bearings after every single ride.
I only ever use these wheels for dry summer weather so approx 6 weeks ago they came out of their winter hibernation. They really are great light weight wheels that accelerate like rockets and just love going up-hills, I can live with the rear wheel flex but the hub adjustment was just unacceptable for a 1.5K set of wheels. I spoke to Easton who acknowleged the issue and sent me a whole set of spindles and bearings....still the same problem, the hubs constantly come loose after every ride....unless overtightened, its the only way I can stop the hubs coming loose!....still worse was to come!
Yesterday I went out on a group ride, nothing special just 8 guy's on an evening cruise, a few hills on the way but certainly nothing that resembles mountain descents....1/2 mile long at the most!
After about 7 miles at the top of a short power climb I braked to pull over and the brake made a horrible scraping noise and pulsed on the rear rim. I pulled over to inspect to find a 8 inch section of rim / braking surface had bubbled badly and has become very very rough. When you look directly from behind you can see that the rim has actually bowed out. Luckily the tyre stayed on the rim as 20 seconds earlier I was doing 40mph! This really, really concerns me especially as I have now read that others have experienced the same 'life threatening' problem! I am due to spend 3 weeks in the French alpes in a months time so would like this sorted asap, but I am very very reluctant to ever use these Eastons again. I will say I still have total faith in other Easton products and have a full Easton finishing kit on both my MTB and winter trainer.
I have now returned the wheels to Easton....again and await their verdict.

Similar Products Used: Previous Wheels were Bontrager Aeolus 5.0
Tonymo   Recreational Rider [Jun 12, 2011]
Strength:

Very smooth and fast acceleration. Comfortable whilst stiff

Front rim has developed wear that makes braking very uneven

I recently bought a BMC Team Machine SLR 01 which came with the Easton EC 90 SL clinchers. The bike is simply fantastic and I was really appreciating the ride quality if the wheels until the front clincher started developing braking problems, particularly whilst descanting. Braking started to become progressively less smooth as if there was a lumpt on the rim. Initially the rime felt smooth to the touch but as the problem got worse I can no feel that there is a one inch section of the front rim that feels rough and worn. I have only ever used the Easton Swisstop brake pads and have cleaned both the pads and the rims and haven't subjected the wheels to any extreme treatment. I live I Switzerland and ride a lot in the mountains but this spells construction flaw to me. I was wondering whether anybody else had experienced similar problems. Otherwise the wheels spin up really fast and whilst being stiff provide a very comfortable ride.

Similar Products Used: Corima Aero +
The Easton wheels are significantly quicker and smoother
KeithY   Recreational Rider [Jun 06, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff, gives you some aero advantage and carries speed well. Much better than my aluminum shimano clinchers at the time. Looks cool.

-I have not had problems with the hub as described by the previous reviewer
-Of course rear wheel had major issues

WOW, No WAY, the previous reviewer described exactly what happened to my rear wheel, even at the same place i was riding!! I was descending a very fast section from Mt. Baldy as well, 2 weeks before the Le Etape Du California and my rear wheel started to deliminate. I had the wheelset for about 10 months so far and it worked great, with no problems. All of a sudden the rear wheel started to bubble only on the non-drivetrain side and chewed up my Swiss Stop pad when i tried to brake. Also, a 3 inch section of the rim on the same side seemed bent outward as well. I have the pictures to prove it.

I'm lucky the tire/tube did not blow out when i was descending and i was able to coast 20 miles downhill and get to the car.

I was lucky and the guy i bought this from off ebay took the wheel back and sent it to Easton for me, no questions asked. 3 week turn around and i had a brand new rear wheel. But sheesh i was lucky. this is NOT good to hear other people have had the exact same problem. Easton needs to recall these wheels.

I will use these carefully from now on when descending fast and braking hard.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Kysriums, Shimano SH-90
LinoD   Road Racer [May 24, 2011]
Strength:

work well in the flats.

*Hubs are absolute garage. Evan after Easton sending out new parts, the hubs still had play in them.
*Customer service is incredible slow.
*Rear wheel melted during a fast descent.

Well, My Easton's almost killed me last weekend... We did the same route the Amgen Tour of California did, up GMR, down and around...then up Mount Baldy. On our decent down Baldy, My rear EC90 SL clincher started unraveling and melting on a 50mph section, ScArry stuff.

Easton not recalling these wheels is crazy... 100% (6) of the people that I know "had" these wheels have had the exact same issue.

If you like to climb and have a fast descent on the other side... BE WARNED. There is a very high chance these wheels will fail.

I've had nothing but problems with these wheels. First it was the front and rear hubs being loose even after being tightened... both wheels continually had side to side play in them. Now the rear wheels fails.

Jim Poppy   Recreational Rider [Apr 13, 2011]
Strength:

Wicked stiff laterally - no brake caliper rubbing when out of the saddle

2010 edition had brake surface issues; 2011 edition has been perfect for 1000s of miles

These wheels changed my life, really! I am 6'4" and weigh 205 lbs. I just rode the cobbles with them at the Tour of Flanders where you can ride the entire 260km course. The wheels are still perfectly true.