Easton EC90 SLX wheelsets - tubular

EC90 SLX

At 1198 grams these wheels are born to climb yet incredibly stiff for amazing versatility. Much of the low weight is due to the use of 24.9mm deep Carbon tubular rims. Performance and durability is further increased thanks to grade 3 Hybrid Ceramic bearings. R4 SL freehub body leaves only the splines needed for transmission for weight savings up to 22 grams non SL freehub body has standard bearings and splines. Red alloy nipples. Sapim double butted black spokes 18 Front 24 Rear. Radia...

Ted   [Sep 04, 2014]
Strength:

Strong, light, reliable, ceramic hub bearings spin forever

zip (as in nothing)

Just fantastic wheels. Never out of true, accelerate like crazy, beautifully made. (L.Zinn uses the SL's for cyclocross and he kinda knows what he's doing.)
btw, all the goofy stories about spokes breaking seem to be similarly worded, ya know? Same Sapim straight pull as everybody else. No magic here, they're just tough, reliable, fast wheels.

DblOvrHd   Recreational Rider [Jul 06, 2010]
Strength:

Light and Strong. No weight limit. Tubular.

......crickets....

I am very impressed with this wheelset. I have been using them for the last year in western Washington. I have about 300 hours on the wheels and they are still round and true. This is my first tubular wheelset and the ride/handling upgrade is also enormous. 165psi feels like a clincher at 110. The wheel tire combo really smooths out the road and makes my BMC pro machine a joy to ride. Did i mention that I weigh two 250 pounds? Potholes, rr tracks, bunny hops up and down curbs and over obstacles...no problemo. I especially love the virtual lack of feedback from side to side swings and the inevitable variable acceleration/deceleration when climbing hard out of the saddle on steep grades. It's hard enough to fight Mr. Gravity. Fighting your wheels is insult to injury. Descending really fast is no problem. Be ready for a wheel that responds instantly to rider input. If you're confident the wheels deliver like a thoroughbred. I come from the Thor school of precise mathematical descending and with my mass advantage combined can usually catch the mountain goats on the downhill. Fun! Can't make sense out of negative review. I regularly crank over a thousand watts into these wheels in sprints with nary a problem.

Similar Products Used: mavic ksyrium elite. vintage NISI tubulars for my sunday bike.
willbsoon   Recreational Rider [Jul 21, 2009]
Strength:

they spin up very quick nice and light too

Radial spoke design is weak

I have rode these wheels for a little over 6 months now and have had nothing but problems. i weight in at 180 pound and i keep breaking the wheels in sprints. i broke the front wheel in an uphill sprint about 4 months into use. Also I broke the rear wheel tonight in a sprint. When you are going 35+mph the last thing you need is spokes breaking

zlbiker   Road Racer [Jul 15, 2009]
Strength:

Price, weight, durability, quality.

none as of yet

Bought these wheels aganist many laughs from riding retards I cycle with. I read these wheels have a 275 lbs rider limit and at the time of my purchase I chubbyed up to 230 lbs (it was great). I have been shocked at how the wheels have performed. Skepticism aside I have cosistantly taken these wheels over many colorado mtn passes and have exceeded 55 mph many times and have hit some serious road damage with not one problem. I now hit the scales at 205 lbs and these wheels rocket me up the climbs like you can't imagine. Now my retard buddies cosistantly cry I have an unfair advantage. I use these wheels every day on every ride. I was going to give these wheels to my wife and use her Excel Sports hand builts if they couldnt handle my weight but not now!

Similar Products Used: Mavic hand builts, Excel Sports hand builts
Kerouac   Road Racer [May 01, 2009]
Strength:

Everything about them, Light weight, spin up quick, silky smooth durable hubs. The carbon they use for the rims is absolutely bomb proof. They make Zipps look like glass slippers. And at a reasonable price.

None so far after 2000 miles of daily beatings.

I bought these wheels to get back to riding on tubular tires last summer. I initially tried a set of Zipp 202's, and was very disappointed with durability issues, hubs and rims, forget it. The Easton's; wow, light weight, beautifully built, and effortless. Easton has gone well out of it's way to build a great set wheels. The rims so far are pretty much bomb proof riding in the city. I am using Continental Sprinter tires, the new black chili versions with out any trouble at all. Hand built and perfect out of the box, have never in 2000 miles needed a truing of any kind. I weigh 200. I am really happy I have these wheels. Highly Recommended.
I ride them every day about 20-25 miles without any problems at all. I am starting to think that Easton's carbon may be the very best. Considering the research they do using it for their other sporting product lines. I have become a big fan. Buy a set of their wheels and you will see what I mean very quickly.

Similar Products Used: Zipp 202's, Mavic,
Ghost Tree Rider   Road Racer [Nov 01, 2008]
Strength:

Speed: After mounting the wheels and putting my bike on the stand (supported under the top tube), I came back ten minutes later to find the front wheel still spinning! The wheels I have are '08 wheels with the non-ceramic-bearing R4 hubs. Who needs ceramic the way these spin? I feel that with these wheels and tubulars that I am a gear higher on flats that with my Campy Euros clinchers.
Light weight: At just over 1100 grams for the pair there aren't a lot of lighter wheels out there-- especially for the price. They put my Look 595 into under 16 lbs.

They seem a little flexible laterally in low-gear out-of-the-saddle climbs, but the feathery-light weight seems to make up for that. Need carbon-specific brake pads.

Fantastic. They are so light and noticeably fast. I'm running Vittoria Evo Corsa CX tires and at the Starbucks stop on our Saturday ride, nobody had a front wheel/tire combo that came anywhere close to the lightweight of the Eastons.