Easton Vista SL wheelsets - clincher

Vista SL

• Precision-sealed cartridge bearings
  • Steel-body internal ratchet mechanism
  • Nickle-plated brass front and rear nipples
  • 1697 grams weight

Joe   Recreational Rider [Aug 21, 2011]
Strength:

Outstanding look & performance for the price.

I upgraded to the Vista SL's a couple of years ago and I love them. I've been out on the road 2 - 3 days a week and I've yet to have to true them. They look, spin and hold up great! I'd definitely recommend them.

sijray21   Road Racer [Aug 31, 2010]
Strength:

Price, hubs, profile (30mm), reliable

Weight (still light for the price range)

I've used these wheels as an everyday set and they have been solid. I weigh between 175 and 195 during my time and have hit many a pothole; I still haven't had to true these wheels. The 30mm profile is excellent and the price/weight ratio isn't bad. I noticed they were lighter than my Shimano rs-10s. The hubs are excellent and often pass heavier people down hills without having to pedal; they are super quiet, too! I've put about 2000 miles on them so far. I've used them in races, and they are fine for crits for the entry-level racer. Looking for that extra edge? Look for something a bit lighter. The spokes are typical j-pull so you won't have a hard time finding a replacement in case they break...the reason I looked for something to replace the Shimano wheelset...stupid propriety straight-pull spokes...

Hands down a fantastic wheel for the money!

Similar Products Used: Shimano RS-10, Bontrager Race FCC
Steve   Road Racer [Aug 01, 2009]
Strength:

Strong! Skinny profile for the money!

Probably a bit heavy for the hardcore racer...

I'm a poor college kid, and wanted an upgrade from my Shimano RS10s. A teammate got better wheels for his TT bike, so he cut me a good deal. I like Easton because they're ALL handbuilt, and these Vista SLs are bombproof!!! I raced for Texas Tech, and Lubbock roads are rather choppy/pothole/garbage. I barely untrued the rear wheel once. I'm in Austin now, and they're wonderful. They're a great training set, and since these have a slim/aero profile, they make a great poor guy's racing set, take it from me. A bit heavy, yes, but for the money, they're definitely worth it! I'm around 160lbs - perfect wheelset!

Similar Products Used: Shimano RS10 wheelset
bosango   Road Racer [Jun 23, 2009]
Strength:

Strong, strong, strong!
Super quiet rear hub
Quiet rims (no road noise amplification)
Not too heavy at 1697 grams
Inexpensive for quality wheels

I peeled the obnoxious Easton stickers off the rims as soon as I got them - no easy task!

These have been my main training wheels for the last two years and I couldn't be happier with them. They've been through it all and still run true and smooth after at least 15,000 miles. I think I've only had to touch up a few of the spokes since I got these wheels. At first, I was a bit concerned about the 20/24 spoke count and the Velox hubs, but now I know these wheels are practically indestructible. Plus, the rear hub is so quiet you literally can't hear it ratchet over the wind in your ears - perfect for slacking off in a group ride without being detected!

Similar Products Used: various mismatched wheels, Aksiums (rim cracks), Bontrager Selects (had some hub problems and spoke breakage)
ulmoiron   Road Racer [Feb 26, 2008]
Strength:

Strength, Reliability, Looks

Weight, Inertia

I have ridden these wheels on and off for close to 3 years. They were used for training only, and are extremely durable and strong. Yes they are heavy but for the price what do you expect? I have done some several thousand miles on these, hitting some serious potholes along the way, yet these wheels never once whimpered! They are absolutely bomb-proof and have never needed truing. I weighed anywhere from high 160s (lbs) to high 170s while riding these.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pro (several sets), Mavic CXP33, Mavic Kysrium SL3, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL, Several Alex rims, Easton EA90 SL, etc.
Mark   Recreational Rider [Oct 15, 2007]
Strength:

Forever true. Spin like there's no friction at all in the hub!

I'd like to try light wheels, but does it really matter for a recreational rider?

These wheels are awesome! Over 2 years and 2000 miles and never trued. Reset the computer and gave them a spin 5 or 6 times to ave it out. These relatively entry level wheels will ave spinning for 5:26 minutes! Every other wheel I've tried spin less than 2 minutes. Including beautiful WH-7800 Dura-Ace with about 100 miles and properly adjusted cones per LBS 1:20 minutes. Nuff said! Easton Velomax wheels are simply magic! I can wait to try some Orion IIs (or possibly Neuvation R28 SL3)...

Similar Products Used: Xero on a Giant OCR1, Dura-Ace WH7800, Forte Titan
tschramm   Recreational Rider [Aug 29, 2007]
Strength:

Inexpensive.
Rolls smooth.

None for a wheel-set in this price range.

Great, inexpensive, training wheels. These wheels came stock on the bike I purchased. I have 1000 miles on these wheels and they have performed very well.

Mark   Road Racer [May 14, 2007]
Strength:

Affordable and solidly built wheels. Not too heavy at 1650g.

Some play in the hub. Tolerances could be better in the sealed bearing cartridge. But it is Easton/Velomax's introductory wheelset.

Bought these wheels when they were Velomax and have been happy since. They take on potholes like a champ and I have crashed on them and all they needed were new spokes. For around 400 cdn they are a really good dollar value for what you get. They have stayed true and were a great intro race wheelset.

Similar Products Used: Matrix Aurora with Shimano Tiagra hubs (came with bike), Mavic OpenPro (replacements for Matrix rims), Campy Eurus
STLBucfan   Road Racer [Apr 02, 2007]
Strength:

Light at 1690 grams vs the Slects I was on
Helped to improve my climbing (maybe mental but I'll take it)

Only took me from back of pack to middle of pack- good for $300 though!

Been riding for 18 months on the Bontrager Select whhels that came with my Trek 1500. Wanted a big improvement for little money. The Vista SL has done just that. I feel better in turns, stable on down hills. I'm 220lbs and after 900 miles and 3 races they are still true.